Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-24-08, 10:49 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default YUM scent soak...

My (Creme) plastic worms (Texas or Carolina rigged) just haven't been very successful so having had some perceived success with YUM spray I've decided to soak the plastics (in a small plastic bag) in YUM spray and see if the plastics can absorb enough scent to make a difference.
(I suppose this has been done and perhaps posted to death, but thought I'd post anyway)

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-24-08 at 11:00 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 12:00 PM   #2
Jim80

The scent won't hurt , the way i think of it they should absorb some of the scent. I had some of the zoom super flukes in white and was looking for something a little different color wise , so i took 1 fluke and put it in a bag with a tequila shad worm the result was great , the back half of the fluke came out red with some red spots up the body of the fluke . The scent might absorb the same .

Jim
Old 08-24-08, 04:23 PM   #3
cassidyta

I am sure this will sound dumb and I bet there are a million reasons why this is a bad idea. If I am on a lake where I can use scents. I will usually poke a few holes in the sides of my worm or fluke. (A fork works for a fluke). Set it out in the sun to expand for a while. Drop it in a baggie with the scent for a few minutes in the sun, then place the bag in my cooler. I can only speak to thermo dymnaics here. As the plastic expands in the heat, the pores open up. The close as it contracts in the cold.
Maybe it is all in my head, but this has appeared to work well for me.
Old 08-24-08, 05:06 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it ain't dumb in my opion cassidyta, i will buy the zoom lizards, punkinseed/chartruse tail, and let them sit out in the sunn for a couple of days to kinda fade em out. works great for me. and i like the idea of a ziplock baggie thing. gonna try that one. maybe if it sits out in da sun it'll soak up more?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:22 AM   #5
Abbeysdad

Just a note: The YUM spray I'm using is purple in color (in case they make others I'm not aware of)...I put three (3) worms in the bag (Natural, pumpkin and purple). The natural worm now has a purplish tinge to the lighter color suggesting that the YUM IS in fact being 'absorbed' by the plastic.
Old 08-25-08, 08:35 AM   #6
Jim80

The natural worm could have the color on it from the purple worm you put in the bag as well , the dye they use will bleed on to others soft plastics and be absorbed .
Old 08-25-08, 11:27 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Also, for what it's worth, I've noticed that half the scent liquid (or more) is lost in over spray - using a ziplock bag or plastic cup to recover this over spray seems to make good sense.
Old 08-25-08, 12:42 PM   #8
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been putting 3-5 senko's of different sizes and colors in a snack size ziplock bag. I have been spraying yum and baitmax in the bags when I seal them up. I also want to experiment with putting some worm rattles in these. I have noticed the color bleeding when I mix colors together. The hardnose plastics seem to be the worse. I do not really like these anyway.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:04 PM   #9
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Spraying them in the ziplock is the best way....no overspray loss, and it lets the plastics soak in the scent. Plastic will absorb the liquid scents....also will absorb saltwater as well.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 11:42 AM   #10
recon3295
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been doing this with some of my soft plastics too. It may be all mental, but I DO seem to get more strikes with the baits that have been "soaking".
Old 09-09-08, 04:47 PM   #11
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

good idea.i have did it and it works pretty well.and dont worry about being redundant.i see questions over and over.but there are alway new people who have not seen it before.and will learn.for ones who have seen it over and over just remember you where their once.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 12:54 PM   #12
cassidyta

I have also found that keeping my plastics in a zip lock with garlic salt has been a good thing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.