Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-23-12, 10:55 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Crankbait mastery

I've begun using crankbaits again after mostly using topwaters, jigs or soft plastics. I've come to the conclusion that the discipline to using crankbaits requires that I have different rods rigged with different cranks that run at different depths. With plastics or jigs it's easy to be sure your near bottom and work the different depths and structure you encounter. But crank design is pretty specific when it comes to depth, retrieve speed and action and none are created versatile.

Crankbaiting is truly a skill I think most bass anglers lack and considering VanDams success using them early on to win many tournaments, I can only hope to discover some of his secrets. You can't learn when and how to use them if you don't use them!
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 05:33 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have made a concerted effort this year to use them more and it has made a difference for me. I have one specific Powell Diesel crankbait rod and use speed clips to change back and forth between baits. It's caught me a ton of fish.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 05:42 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good luck on your quest. I have 3 crankbait setups but often only take two as that serves me well most of the time. Usually, I'm slinging a shallow diving squarebill, and another that dives between 8-12 foot. That covers my needs pretty well. I do have deep divers that I use, but in my lakes, they arn't needed very often. I use clips for quick lure changing as well, and so does KVD for the same reason. I just read it in his latest book. Crankbaits are a mainstay for me. I almost always have two ready to throw.
Old 08-23-12, 08:42 PM   #4
fishnart
BassFishin.Com Member

I looooooove me some crankbaits...have several rods and lots of baits. If 'mI fishing mostly cranks for the day I have several rigged up at once. Different rods for different bait depths. You just gotta go out and do it, like anything else...good luck.
fishnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 09:12 PM   #5
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

When I fished Lake Yale with all those drop offs and brushpiles I fished crankbaits 90 percent of the time. Used Bombers and Rapalas. Moved and fished different type of lakes and have switched to plastics mostly.

I agree, a good crankbait guy can really work'em. I do miss it, making those long casts and making contact with the bottom, brush, grass, etc.
My crank baits had chewed up lips from bounching off shell-bed, sand, gravel.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 10:08 PM   #6
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If someone stole all my crankbaits I'd have no reason to live.
Old 08-25-12, 03:14 AM   #7
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
If someone stole all my crankbaits I'd have no reason to live.
im with Kenn..... my problem is i can't put them down
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.