Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-05, 12:21 PM   #1
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default bass attractants

what are some kind of things that you could make or buy to stick into shallow water so next spring when you fish that area you know of a place there could be alotta fish near the thing you put in the water...
i know of things like brushpiles, trees, ect. but are there ne other things you could use?
abugarcia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 12:32 PM   #2
Joe_S.

all kinds of stuff, anything that provides cover or an ambush point, just don't use anything that will harm the water and make sure it stays sunken, and if it's a high traffic area make sure that it is deep enough that someone driving over it won't hit it, Milkcrates strung together, Trash cans (plastic) drill little holes in them to sink easier and also so baitfish can get in and out to hide are a few, I've seen people sink there kids play houses as well.
Old 10-28-05, 12:41 PM   #3
HoosierAngler

An old tire would work, it'd make a good spawning bed.
Old 10-28-05, 01:29 PM   #4
River stumps

If the water has a slight current. The simplest thing to build is a small hurdle. Two 2x4 stuck in ground with piece cross top. They are not dangerous to any one and they hold fish. Put them out in different places.... Drive them in ground 6 or 8 inches high and you have a place where the big bass will come and live. In my younger days that how I would win some tourneys...This info is free, not going to charge you. just want to see a picture of that lunker when you haul him in.
Old 10-28-05, 01:37 PM   #5
River stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by River stumps
If the water has a slight current. The simplest thing to build is a small hurdle. Two 2x4 stuck in ground with piece cross top. They are not dangerous to any one and they hold fish. Put them out in different places.... Drive them in ground 6 or 8 inches high and you have a place where the big bass will come and live. In my younger days that how I would win some tourneys...This info is free, not going to charge you. just want to see a picture of that lunker when you haul him in.
Forgot to mention one thing! Don't forget where you put your hurdles. Use a reference on shore, a tree or something of something of that sort. Happy fishing
Old 10-29-05, 07:24 AM   #6
Mac1

Sink a bail of timothy hay. Something about it draws minnows after a few days and all sorts of fish will frequent the area. Also, using mesh bags with a rock inside, sink some chopped onion in each bag....will also draw minnows.....
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 09:58 AM   #7
Fish2win

Mac take 3 tires and lash them together. Stand them up and place rocks in side the bottom tire to keep them down. Now take tree limbs and insert them into and through the tires on the lower tire. Now you have a stump complete with roots. Three or 4 of these made from discarded tires along with a few well placed cedar trees and you have a real fish attractor. I have found that items placed on a bank that is otherwise void of cover seem to work better than placing them on banks that have lots of other stumps or limestone rocks. Another thing that works is to take two palets. Lash them together at the top and then spread them out tent style. Place big rocks on each end to hold them in place. Now take cedar trees and shove them into the slates making overhanging cover. This gives an ambush point and shade.
Cover by itself is not everything there is to a spot. You need sufficient depth and an escape to deep water near by. Cedars as they rot will attract plankton and bait but a couple of well placed cans of dog food with multiple holes made into the cans speeds things along. The dog food slowly seeps out and attracts the bait. Remember to collect the empty cans next winter while the water is down again. Also a little bag of cotton seed with work as a bait attractant also.
I will advise you of one thing these are easier to place after the water draws down. On the lakes I build them on we have a 30 to 40 foot draw down, I usually place them from 15 to 25 feet. In the spring as the water comes up you can start fishing them shallow and then after the spawn they are deeper so they will still work in many cases. Later in the fall as the lake starts to drop they are shallow again and thay works also. I usually only get one good year of fishing out of them. Not because they are not useful after that but because everybody else that is to lazy to build thier own finds them by the second year. Then they become cummunity holes.It is very hard to get on them for other boats and the fish get taken off them so fast that it is hard to get a consentration.They also work for crappie, walleye and Catfish in the summer.
be sure and triangulate there location. It is very hard to locate them after the water comes back up and placeing a marker of any sort is like a neon sign to other fisherman. I built some by boat on Tellico several year ago and have yet to locate them again in open water. I have built them for yearts and will continue especially at Norris which is void of cover due to age and draw downs. Noty only do they help yopu find fish they help the fish with survival rate of the spawn. If you need any nore tips let me know. Fish2win
Old 10-29-05, 01:38 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tires tend to work more for crappie or cat fish -i can't tell the number of times i hauled big cats out of tires- brush piles are good. even better one on a large barren flat me and a buddy made a rock pile . used a gps to spot it and 6 loads on his pontoon boat late at night. we depoisted these rocks in 16 feet of water. 400 yards from the bank i have caught many fish out of this rock pile..
Old 10-29-05, 03:32 PM   #9
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Buy plastic pvc pipe and fittings to construct some type of structure. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 05:45 PM   #10
LowDownSOB
BassFishin.Com Member

Might be a perfect way to get rid of that Christmas tree and enjoy it year round. Not sure how you would keep it down and in one place. How about an old chain? I know of this spot that has one of those table and bench things you find at campsites submerged in 15 ft of water. My buddy just pulled a 5 lb'er out of that spot. I guess one man's junk is another lunker's structure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.