Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-06, 11:54 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default st. croix rods?

anyone have any experience with st. crouix rods? i just ordered one today, the guy at my local tackle shop talked me into it, he guarenteed i would like it but i would love to hear what you guys think because it's not too late to back out. if it matters at all he gave me a pretty good discount.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 05:08 AM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

st.croix are some of the best rods made.what model did you get?
Old 04-13-06, 05:41 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The old saint craw rod is pretty good, even though the one I bought has been nothing short of a long story.It may depend on who you talk to at customer service whether the lifetime warranty is worth the paper it was written on , or not.I bought a Avid series flipping stick several years ago,broke the ceramic line guide out of the tip the very first day I used it.I called them and told the lady who answered that I would be sending it in to them and she said its very simple to fix. We will send you a new tip and glue to replace it.In 2 days, I got the tip , glue complete with instructions,it was very easy to fix as the woman said it would be.When I was out fishing the next time, I noticed the first guide epoxy finish was bubbled and cracked on it.didn't know how it got there, I fished the old saint crow most of the day with no trouble and when I collapsed the telescopic section, the blank fell all the way down and hit the first line guide where the epoxy was messed up.Most flipping sticks cannot fall to where the guide hits the other telescopic section.I got home home and called the company explaining what happened and the guy told me to wrap electrical tape around the blank so it stops the guide from hitting.I told the man I wanted to send it back under the lifetime warranty , because I did not pay $190.00 for the rod to have to wrap electrical tape around the rod blank because it was obviously a design flaw.He told that the guide was a result of abuse and not from design and therefore the lifetime warranty would not cover it and then hung up on me ? I was trying to remember whether I swore at the idiot who would suggest putting tape on a new $190.00 rod to fix the problem to warrant him hanging up on me ?Then I called back, got another lady and she asked who the guy was that I talked to ? I didn't remember his name, so I could not report the idiot who hung up on me.The lady did tell me to send it in and they would replace it.I called a freind who builds rods and he dropped by to look at it, he told me that it didn't damage the guide other than the appearance, only the epoxy started pulling, the wrap was good , he thought it would be alright.Well I didn't send it in, I threw in on the rack with the other rods I don't use any more and went and bought a different brand flipping stick.Looking in Walmart this winter, I seen the Fuiji hook holder that attached to the rod blank by a rubberband.I knew it would solve the Saint crow rods problem without the use of electrical tape.I just pulled the rod back off the rack, its gonna be my Carolina rig rod this year.I know you won't have this problem, they do not sell the flipping stick any more, so I say go ahead and buy the rod,they tend to run a bit heavier action than most brand rods with the same rating. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 04-13-06 at 05:52 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 06:34 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

I woulda hated being that idiot ifn you coulda had a lil more phone time with that a@@hole PNJ. People like that are exactly the reason back in 90 why I turned away from quantum, but I am really liking what quantum is doing with there reels so I am giving them a try again. St. Croix rods are from what I have gathered a very good rod. The few that I have tried(never owned one just fished withem..Borrowed) are just exactly like PNJ stated, there actions are actually heavier than what they market them at.
Old 04-13-06, 06:38 AM   #5
lizardsrule

Well I can personally vouch for their products. I own 5 of their rods, anywhere from the low end up to the Legend series(very high end). I have nothing but great things to say about them, and unlike PNJ the only problem I've ever had was when I had left the rod sticking out the side as I went by a dock. Needless to say the 7' rod became 2 3.5' rods. I sent it in, and they replaced it free. The other thing about this rod was the handle was longer than I like, so I had cut down the rod handle also about 2". They never said a word about it, and just sent the new one out. Their rods are a little stiffer than most companies with the same rating IMO. For example a MH is actually in between a MH and Heavy for most other manufacturers I've seen. The are very sensitive, and I love these rods.

Lizards
Old 04-13-06, 06:40 AM   #6
lizardsrule

OH Yeah it's Saint CROIX

Lizards
Old 04-13-06, 07:37 AM   #7
crankybait

ive got a st.croix avid, and couldnt be any happier. i compared it to my old mitchell avocet and it felt like a feather in comparison. it also has a nice grip to it, not just a cylinder. trust me, theyre good
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 10:23 AM   #8
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I've got quite a few of the better brand names, and I agree with the rest of the guys, the St. Croix rod is a good one, I really don't see much difference (other than cost) between alot of the biggies, Loomis, Kistler, St.Croix, Fenwick, Berkley, I like em all. My favorite at this time is my new AiRRUS. Overall, for the money, St. Croix is an excellent rod. I've had mine for about two years and have no complaints. Another rod I really like (cause bassintxlady has one) is the Shimano Crucial, it's light and sturdy both, basically what I am looking for in a rod.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 11:31 AM   #9
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I love St.Croix rods. I have 2 Avids(med, medheavy), a legend elite and a legend tournament.
Old 04-13-06, 05:41 PM   #10
bassinbob

I have 5 Premiers for casting, and a new Triumph spinning. Although not as light as the Kistler I had they are a pleasure to use. Instead of buying a mh I stuck with meds. Like the other posts said they run a little heavy. I have 3 meds. one heavy and one crankbait model. Good rods at good prices. If you look around you can get them at a good price.

Bob
Old 04-13-06, 09:31 PM   #11
JigHead1121
BassFishin.Com Member

Great rods...I have 5 of 'em. You won't be sorry if you buy one.
JigHead1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 09:22 PM   #12
bass kicker

cranky have you even fished with yours and caught anything on it

our bass season hasnt even started and i landed over 50 bass on mine and it is awsome
Old 04-16-06, 08:12 AM   #13
crankybait

yes ive fished with it but ive only landed a bluegill. it was a one foot long bluegill, but it wasnt a bass
Old 04-17-06, 12:39 PM   #14
bass kicker

thats pretty bad not even a bass yet but that is a huge bluegill
Old 04-17-06, 05:39 PM   #15
crankybait

hey shutup. ive had my rod for like 3 weeks, and only fished twice you loser. and once was so windy nobody on the dock landed a fish

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.