Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-16-15, 07:28 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking Pieces Of The Puzzle.

That's how I classify this post. I'm planning on getting out this Saturday weather permitting. Coming up with a strategy is proving interesting for me considering all the factors.
1. Post spawn for bass here.
2. Bluegills should be on their spawning beds.
3. TONS of rain this past week and it continues through the week, creating high water conditions. On track for the rainiest June ever for our area.
4.Depending on which lake I choose, it should be either fairly clear for Flint Lake, and murky for Loomis Lake.
5. Lakes are natural made, not man made, so no creek or river bends, dams, road beds or any of that stuff. Just gradual transitions in depth, and a few points, none of which are much of a point with a sudden drop. Just a gentle slope into medium deep water of 8-12 foot.
Plenty of weed cover.

I am thinking shallow cover, pitching into brush, fallen trees, weed beds, etc. T rigged beavers and craws and the like. Also, thinking the top water bite might be hot since bluegills should be on their beds, but not sure how this rain has effected the bluegill spawn. I'll be sure to have a spinner bait tied on. And I'll have a wacky rigged stick bait to pitch into open pockets. I'm also thinking a buzz bait fished through freshly flooded areas might be hot. If none of that works early on, I will probably drop out to deeper water and start working a crank bait.

Well, that's the plan. Not sure if it's a good one or not. We've had about six inches of rain over the past week or so. More heavy rain predicted before weeks end. Maybe I should go out for breakfast instead?
Old 06-16-15, 08:39 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

or possibly mow the lawn?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 09:05 AM   #3
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fish it regardless.
No one has ever said I missed an 8 lb bass while sitting on the couch at home..

Capt Mike
Old 06-16-15, 01:37 PM   #4
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks like you've got a plan. I'd spend a proportionally larger amount of time targeting the shallow water. But my experiences are mostly with Florida water where the deepest holes are only 20 feet deep. The bass don't move very far after spawning. They have plenty of food within feet of the now abandoned nest.
I think I mentioned this in another post ... they DON'T have a lot of energy immediately after spawning. They seem to be more likely to drift up on larger prey, not chasing and running down anything.
Slow, large plastics should get a lot of attention. Suspending cranks and minnows also. I see a lot of guys ripping rattling lipless cranks and catching a few little ones. But the guys catching the largest fish are using live shiners under a balloon (Can't fish any slower than that) or pitching and flipping to heavy cover (my favorite way).
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 06:47 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The two keys I think are the bluegill spawn and high water. The bluegills spawn always attracts bass for an easy larger meal when it ventures near a hiding bass, and high water, I have always read, draws bass to shallow cover. We'll see. Right now, they are forecasting thunder storms again for Saturday.
Old 07-12-15, 02:20 AM   #6
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keithdog the bluegill spawn will be a major factor....dont forget the shallow water crank, swimbait and chatterbait
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.