Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-17-04, 10:59 AM   #1
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Ok. Â*Trying something new for me.

Thought I'd try this out too see if will work here.

A picture of my boat.

Woo Hoo.... It works. It ain't fast but the fish don't care.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 11:29 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Ok.  Trying something new for me.

Congratulations 8) That is one of my winter projects also, to be able to post pictures Your boat is very similiar to my Fishermarine, except mine is a little longer, and has the ignition, and stick steer up in the front seat, which is absolutely wonderful ;D But your's is a lot nicer than mine:-[

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 11:31 AM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: Ok. Â*Trying something new for me.

Nice boat you got there Cajun. Just as you said, the fish don't care how fast it is.

I've got a little 20HP pushing my 14 footer. It ain't fast, but it gets me there.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 11:48 AM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

The way I did it Lizard is opened a shutterfly (Shutterfly.com I think it is, but you can find it with a search. Â*It's free.) account (it's free) posted the picture there. Â*Then open the picture, then

1 Right click on the picture and select "properties".
2 Highlight the address (url)
3 Right click on the highlighted address (url) and select "copy".
4 Go to the board and post the address where you want to Â* Â* Â* insert the picture.
5 paste the URL into your post
6 highlight the entire url
7 Click on the "insert image" Icon at the top of the post. (Second row, fourth icon)
8 IMG is added to the front of your image link, and at the rear of it. (Note the Inm and /img are enclosed in []

The picture should show up.

I would have liked to have electric start and stick steering, but I got a great price on the tiller motor. Â*Looking back, I'm glad I did. Â*A lot of the lakes I fish are electric motor only, and a couple of them you can't even have a gas motor on the boat. Â*It's easy to take the tiller engine off, just loosen the clamps, and take out two bolts, and set the motor on the ground, and put another electric motor on the transome. Â*

I had a little Fisher Marine when I got started in this game that had a 30 hp and console steering. Â*That was the boat I had in mind when I started to put this one together. Â*It's a great rig. Â*I figure I've got less than $5,000 in it, including an electric winch, two trolling motors, and 3 batteries. Â*
Old 12-17-04, 02:20 PM   #5
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Cajun That rig is almost exactly what I want to put together 8). I really like the j16 and about the only thing I would add is a large areated cooler/livewell in the center between the two benches. Do you think it would be possible to add a pole seat on the large front deck(is that the large one in the pic?) if so, i would omit the bench in the front for a little more room in the middle with the cooler added. If it wouldn't be that stable to fish from the front deck though I would stick with your config. I'm hoping to get one soon. Nice rig and thanks for the pic posting info I have been wondering how to do that myself.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 03:24 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Ok.  Trying something new for me.

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=Boats;num=1103291952;start=0#3 date=12/17/04 at 09:48:28]The way I did it Lizard is opened a shutterfly (Shutterfly.com I think it is, but you can find it with a search. It's free.) account (it's free) posted the picture there. Then open the picture, then

1 Right click on the picture and select "properties".
2 Highlight the address (url)
3 Right click on the highlighted address (url) and select "copy".
4 Go to the board and post the address where you want to insert the picture.
5 paste the URL into your post
6 highlight the entire url
7 Click on the "insert image" Icon at the top of the post. (Second row, fourth icon)
8 IMG is added to the front of your image link, and at the rear of it. (Note the Inm and /img are enclosed in []

The picture should show up.

I would have liked to have electric start and stick steering, but I got a great price on the tiller motor. Looking back, I'm glad I did. A lot of the lakes I fish are electric motor only, and a couple of them you can't even have a gas motor on the boat. It's easy to take the tiller engine off, just loosen the clamps, and take out two bolts, and set the motor on the ground, and put another electric motor on the transome.

I had a little Fisher Marine when I got started in this game that had a 30 hp and console steering. That was the boat I had in mind when I started to put this one together. It's a great rig. I figure I've got less than $5,000 in it, including an electric winch, two trolling motors, and 3 batteries. [/quote]

Sounds easy enough even for a computer illiterate such as myself, thanks for the info, I will give it a try, maybe even this weekend.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 08:17 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

cajun
a hydro foil would really help with the tiller steerin tourqe as you know it takes some to turn your moter under power. i have a 25 johson and a 30 mariner both tiller-use them on the same boat- i bought the mariner with a hydrofoil and was so impressed with the results that i put one on my 25. they might help a little with your run level -as in nose down- but will help in arm fatique from steering the tiller.bar none the best 50 bucks ya can spend on your moter. that anit fuel.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-04, 09:31 AM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Gamma, I've got a livewell I got from Cabela's behind the front seat. Â*I don't use it too much as a livewell, more for dry storage, but it fits right flat on the floor and works great the times I've used it as a livewell. Â*I didn't want to drill holes in the side of the boat for something I wasn't going to use very often so I fixed up a bilge pump that I can hang over the side to pump water into the well. Â*I'll take the same pump, put it in the well, pump most of the water out, then refill the livewell, every so often to keep the water fresh. Â*And I can still use the bilge pump to keep the boat pumped out if it's raining for example.

[img][/img]

There is still a pretty good area in front of the rear seat as you can see.

The deck I've got is the short one. Â*The large is is about a 1 1/2 foot longer I believe. Â*You could easily put a raised seat on that if you wanted. Â*I didn't want to, because I'm a pretty big fellow and I was afraid it would make the boat tippy. Â*Also, I didn't want a raised deck in the back, because my wife is handicapped and had trouble moving up onto a raised deck. Â*This setup was perfect for that, and was inexpensive. Â*An added advantage that I didn't think of with the bench seats until I fished it, is that I've got a bench/table right there at my hand. Â*It's really handy to keep things like bags of worms, sinkers, my pipe and tobacco, etc. Â*Also the space under the seats can be used for dry storage by putting stuff in plastic boxes you can get from Wally World or someplace like that. Â*By putting them umder the seats, they're in space that you can't use in a regular jon boat for example because the seats are boxes filled with foam Â*I'll post a couple more pictures that show the interior better.

Zook, I had thought about a hydrofoil for it. Â*I had one on one of my bass boats and loved it. Â*I was able to take 95% of the steering torque out with the trim tab. Â*I don't want to move it anymore because I'd probably mess it up the other way.

I had thought I might get one to help it plane out quicker, but I realized that it's not that it planes slow, it just planes different than the bass boats I've had. Â*A bass boat digs down, the pop's up on plane. Â*Well the skiff being a flat bottom boat just sort of easses up on plane. Â*It doesn't do too bad for the power it has and the weight it carries. Â*Neither my wife or I are "petite".

Old 12-18-04, 09:52 AM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's a shot of the rear seat. You can see the storage boxes under the seat. The gas tank and TM battery is behind the seat. If you elect to go with a bench seat anywhere, I suggest you don't get them bolted down They fit fairly tight without being bolted down. Use the boat a couple of times to get a feel for where you want them, then bolt them down. Be aware that they might move though.

The carpet is a piece of cheap stuff I got at Dollar General Store. I got the second season after having no carpet the first year. I liked the no carpet, but the white interior reflected the sunlight and sunburned out legs pretty bad a couple of times. After a season of fishing with the carpet I decided I didn't like it, so I pulled it out and threw it away. I'm going to try painting the interior a flat grey this year.

The big front deck has slots for storage under there. Since the short one didn't I made a "door" out of a piece of 1/8" plywood. I treated it with moisture seal, then painted it, hung it with hinges. No problems with that. Sometime over the winter I'm going to cut it and make two doors out of it. The TM cable get in the way of opening it all the way.

I think I've had as much or maybe more fun with this boat than any boat I've ever owned. I'm always looking for ways to make it better.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.