Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-26-04, 04:20 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default props

up on loading my boat to day i noticed that the prop blade edges looked alot like serated blade of a knife. when i got home i took the prop off and did some filing to try and smooth it up a tad . which worked ok but am looking for a new prop i run a 10 3/8x13 prop.i am thinking of getting a differant prop in aluminum and a composite prop. can any one tell me the differants in the pitchs? mine run 13-15 the composite prop will be a 4 blade over the 3 blade i am currantly running. where will this help? -hole shot ,top end,handling,ect..-as i am fully awear of the cost, i just want to know if it will help or hurt my boat performance.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 11:47 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: props

ZOOKER,

Going from Aluminum to SS, you can usually jump 1 inch in pitch (ie 1 3/8 X 14) but if you are going to go to a 4 blade, you need to stay with the same 13 inch pitch. I do not know what to advise about the comp prop, You should probably talk to the company. A 4 blade prop will give you better hole shot, but you will lose a little on top end due to drag (1 to 2 mph)

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 11:58 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

also think about this..for what that prop is gonna cost you,do you think it's worth that money to get on plane a second or 2 faster?..also are you planning on keeping that boat a long time?..if you're going to keep it a long time then maybe...and if you damage it,think about that one..
you know how i feel about spending $400+ for a hardly noticable difference in performance.you're better off putting one of those fins on the motor.
IMO ;D
besides,you want a gambler anyway...
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 11:44 AM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

actually tom i don't want a gambler but another stratos would be excellant. i have looked for a ss prop they just don't make a ss prop for a 50 horse yammi yeah i am willing to drop 700 on a prop if it was the right one. the composite prop is like 80 bucks the aluminum is about 100.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-27-04, 07:40 PM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

they probably don't make an S/S prop for a 50 horse because IMO only,it would'nt make much difference in performance.
you could probably get another 1 or 2 mph by leaving a couple hundred lbs of tackle home ;D
Old 11-27-04, 09:23 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassintom link=board=Boats;num=1101496837;start=0#4 date=11/27/04 at 17:40:20]they probably don't make an S/S prop for a 50 horse because IMO only,it would'nt make much difference in performance.
you could probably get another 1 or 2 mph by leaving a couple hundred lbs of tackle home ;D[/quote]

I'm with Tom here, if you want to spend the money, why not see if they can increase the HP instead of changing the prop. Maybe they can do the 50hp like they can the 15hp, and make it into a 25hp. Man go buy a new gun or something, but that kinda money for a insignifcant increase doesn't make me wanna do it. But hey it's your cash, if that's what you really want to do, then spend away

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 09:38 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well lizards i know this ya got ta have a prop and well i have been eyeing this sweet bmg 50 cal linker that anit been shot much. only 3500 seems like a deal to me.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-27-04, 09:45 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
you could probably get another 1 or 2 mph by leaving a couple hundred lbs of tackle home
Now Tom, you know that is not an option ;D.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 05:27 PM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I wouldn't spend the extra for a SS prop for a 50 hp motor either. Â*The gain just isn't worth the expense IMHO. Â*Another disadavantage is if you wack something, the SS prop won't give. Â*It will transfer the impact to the propshaft. Â*We all know that Mr. Murphy says an expensive lower unit will fail to protect an inexpensive prop hub. Â*

You can buy several aluminum props for what a SS one will cost you. Â*I've never used a comp prop, but I've heard they don't give performance as good as aluminum no matter what they tell you. Â*

If the aluminum you've got gives you decent performance, get another one like it. Â*If you want a spare, the comp prop would do for that, but you've already got the one you've now, so just hold onto that for a spare.

Another option would be to check with your local "Dr. Joe's prop shop" and see if they have any that have been repaired, but never claimed. You might be able to save a few bucks on one there.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 09:48 PM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

another thing you can do that i've heard about.is get the ends of your prop cupped a little. on perf props,they are cupped a little more on the end than a stock prop.this is what i have been told.to be honest with you i have never compared props.they're not that important to me till they get destroyed(which i have never done).
and if mine were to get trashed i would replace it with a stock prop.but that's just me.
Old 12-01-04, 08:51 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassintom link=board=Boats;num=1101496837;start=0#9 date=11/30/04 at 19:48:04]another thing you can do that i've heard about.is get the ends of your prop cupped a little. on perf props,they are cupped a little more on the end than a stock prop.this is what i have been told.to be honest with you i have never compared props.they're not that important to me till they get destroyed(which i have never done).
and if mine were to get trashed i would replace it with a stock prop.but that's just me.[/quote]

I haved cracked 2ea composite props, and bent the heck out of 1 aluminum prop (on my 18ft runabout). The composite are junk IMHO. The price difference doesn't even compare to the quality difference. One good hit on a stump or rock, and the composite will crack or even break. I will never buy one again :P The aluminum ones can be fixed, and be almost like new, for about 1/2 the price of buying a new one.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:47 AM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

ZOOKER,

Cabela's has stainless props for your Yammie for $219.95. They are 10 1/4 X 13 instead of 10 3/8 X 13, but I don't think the 1/8 inch would make that much difference. I believe Cabela's props are made by Michigan Wheel, which is a good solid prop, but not amoung the fast racing prop group of manufacturers. If you want to pull it up on Cabela's web, the order # is C341013, and it is supposed to fit Yammies in the 40 to 55 hp range with the small gearcase.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:17 PM   #13
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Yeah Zooker don't waste you're $ on a comp prop. They're good to carry in the boat and get you home if need be but thats about it.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 08:37 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks il i heard about the same thing from a buddy -but he is known to lie.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 12-01-04, 10:22 PM   #15
wood123
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wood123

Zooker, there are many props available for your motor including S/S. I have a S/S on my 50HP and it handles completely different from Alum. It is much better. I could talk props and set up all night,but thats another story. First of all you need some nbr's,what are your WOT rpms,max speed for starters. JackL is right that Cabelas have them but they are Silhetto made for Cabelas and are a good prop. If you are looking to save,try Ebay,I have picked up quite a few there. Email if you have any questions.

Wayne
wood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 02:31 AM   #16

ZOOKER, I have the same motor 50 hp 4 stroke Yahama I bent the stock alu. prorp today and was thinking of changeing over. What did you do and how well did it work ?
Glass Man

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.