Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-08, 05:20 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluke technique?

The guy who first showed me how to fish a fluke used it as a topwater bait. Mono and a 1/0 hook. No swivel and a barn load of line twist-- That's how I've used a fluke for years and it's been fairly effective. Do most of ya'll fish it as a soft jerk? Anybody burn it across the surface when they're bustin'? Tiny flukes for DS?

Thanks-

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 06:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sometimes, but most times I fish it on an EWG hook and use it more as a twitch bait. Twitch it, let it settle, twitch it again, let it settle, etc. Never had a problem with line twist-just make sure it is rigged straight.
Old 03-12-08, 07:24 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

i fish the fluke as a twitch bait just about 100% of the time. the tiny flukes will work on a dropshot really well and i also like throwing them on an 1/8oz. or 1/4oz. jighead and bouncing them on the bottom. i have played around a bit with a donkey rig too. it is a rig that has been around for a while. this is how to do the donkey rig thing and it will catch fish!

Donkey Rig:
Start with two barrel swivels. Tie a fifteen inch leader and EWG Style hook to the leader. Then tie a 12 inch leader and EWG style hook to the second swivel. Pass the main line through the eye of the swivel with the 15 inch leader with hook. The 15 inch leader and hook must slide up and down the main line. Tie the main line directly to the swivel with the 12 inch leader and hook. Utilize texas rigging to rig your favorite color fluke on both hooks to let the games begin!

it is used as twitch baits and when you find the fish schooling and busting shad on the surface it is one more bait in the chaos. i was using this rig with a three way swivel for a long time and then i saw on strike king pro journal where they were setting it up like this and it is a lot better than how i was doing it. they were catching two fish at a time once and a while (something i am yet to do). hope this helps.
Old 03-13-08, 01:43 PM   #4
pignjig

Thanks, Reb and Shrek...er, C-rig! I'm pre-fishing tomorrow for a TX this weekend. Maybe I'll throw a fluke if I find 'em hungry.

-Pig
Old 03-13-08, 02:21 PM   #5
howghunter
BassFishin.Com Member

c-rig that sounds like a good thing to try.pnj i use the fluke any way i can to get them to take it.one thing i like sometimes is you texrig it then take a trim nail you can cut it down or try what ever size you like or should i say what the bass like and stick it in the tail end.then use it as a twitch bait after you get the hang of it you can get it to were when you pull it forwards and give it slack it will back up.most my hits come from when it goes back.
howghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 11:42 PM   #6
WTL

The fluke is one of those lures that can be fished many ways.

1. As you said, fish it fast and keep it on the surface - its more effective IMO than buzzbaits. Schooling fish will anihilate it.

2. Slower, like a soft jerkbait. The most common retrieve and its good, very effective. Just stay patient.

3. Deadsticking. Very slow. Let it fall and sit. Also very effective but you need tons of patience and wind or waves can make this pretty much impossible.

4. Split shot rig. Another mentioned it, its probably my most effective fluke use. I like the darker flukes for this technique, and they can be full sized flukes. Very good around rock walls, shell beds, structure.
Old 03-14-08, 12:46 PM   #7
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love this bait!
My standard goto on this bait almost 100% of the time is on 30# PP braid, with a mono leader about 4-5' long in 15# green. I use a 3/0 standard J-bend style hook from Owner (a little heavier than Gamakatzu). I normally fish it shallow out to about 4-5' deep in a twitch and pause/die method. My absolute favorite time to fish it is pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn periods. That basically equates from the mid to upper 50s on Water temps right on up through the upper 70 degree range. There are times after that as well, but that range will see me throwing the Super Fluke and the salty sinking baits like Senkos the most.
Early in the year with the lower water temps and dirtier water I use the pearl colors, lighter shad colors, bubble-gums and methiolate colors, mid 60 temps (on up) and clearer water will see me thowing the watermelon varieties that better imitate perch.
The bites can be extremely aggressive and the fish are normally of the larger variety! I LOVE IT!
Old 03-14-08, 03:07 PM   #8
Mac10

Default Flukes

I make a topwater fluke by cutting of the tail and replacing it by welding on a zoom ultravibe tail....I don't mount the tail vertically, but flat out horazontally. On the surface it does two things, it buzzbaits with the tail on top and puts a little sideways twist to the body as it travels on the pull.... I pull it at a moderate pace, then let it sink. Then, after sinking awhile, the next pull with the bait underneath makes it throb underwater...when it gets back to the top again, I let it rest briefly before buzzing it again. You can weld with a candle flame or a pencil soldering iron...have to heat both pieces to be joined at the same time.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 03:27 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

Hey Bob, do you use a swivel on your fluke rig, or tie directly braid-to-mono? And what knot do you use?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 04:17 PM   #10
zooker

ok school in the god father is preachin. so break out the note books. here is a trick i picked up while fishing lake norman..and it is deadly for ky spotted bass..

picture is kinda fuzzy
but it is a "tiny" zoom fluke on a 1/4 oz road runner head

just slow roll it along docks and wait for an explosion..

zooker
Old 03-14-08, 05:14 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Hey Bob, do you use a swivel on your fluke rig, or tie directly braid-to-mono? And what knot do you use?
Uni to Uni on the Braid to Mono, then palomar the hook directly to the mono! The mono gives you just little bit of stretch, but the braid allows you to detectg those subtle pickups as well, overall the set up will allow you to horse that hawg out of some pretty vicious stuff. I've never experienced any line twist so I just don't use the swivel.
Old 03-14-08, 07:34 PM   #12
pignjig

I'm likin' this stuff! Wish I'd been able to access it out on the lake today. Tomorrow's the TX and I'm gonna try some of this stuff out (after the 25# limit, of course)

Thanks to all!!!

-Pig
Old 03-15-08, 02:20 AM   #13
SeTiNHooKs
BassFishin.Com Member

Good info, I'll be trying some of this stuff tomorrow with flukes. There was a couple bigins schooling but I was working on the beds with a craw and the schooling fish didn't seem to like it very much..
SeTiNHooKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 09:11 PM   #14
Preacher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Preacher

Been missin too much...this is one of my favorite softbaits....or baits period! I fish it a lot on a Texasrig,..or with no weight as a topwater, injured minnow type...great over laydowns, but you do have to put up with the bigger crappie comin up to take a swipe at times.
On lakes I use a 6", shad or pepper color, depending on time of year. Already catching small bass here with a TR shad. From the bank.
I like the idea of the weight in the tail to make it swim backwards...like the old baits sold on TV. Still have a set somewhere....christmas present! 1993 or 94 or something!The Flying Lure...thats it.
Old 03-18-08, 07:38 PM   #15
lizardsrule

You need IMO a stiff rod and braid for this bait. I can say I've fished a fluke just about anyway you can think, from a Buzzbait add-on, to weightless. I prefer a 5/0 "TEXPOSER" hook(by far the best design for Fluke Hooks I've seen), with a "Fin-S" fish used in ALEWIFE. My favorite way it to work it fast, almost like a topwater. You need to make sure the fish actually gets the bait when working them fast though. If they miss it the first or second time, usually they'll get it on the third try. The main reason for the heavier equipment is because of the flukes having more plastic to get the hook through. Plus I fish them also like frogs on mats, so you need stout equipment to get the fish out. I can assure all of you who have not fished them, they work period. Slow or fast, just get them wet.

Lizards
Old 03-19-08, 06:48 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I really got to try out my new Flukes for the first time today after school. I came home to find my pond only half frozen, so I decided to go and give a few things a try. I started with a Clown Colored Husky Jerk: Nothing. Then a Black Blue Yum Craw Bug:nothing. Then I gave it one last attempt with the Super Fluke in Watermelon Candy. I hooked two, one got off half way in, and the other got off at the shore's edge. Then I went back out when my dad got home and caught two more. I was a little more forceful with my hooksets so I landed them both. No size to them, but I think I found my new cold-water confidence bait.

BB
Old 03-19-08, 08:06 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

you can't be shy with the hooksets on these baits. there is a lot of plastic to get the hook through, but it sounds like you know that now. congratulations on getting out and sticking some fish!
Old 03-19-08, 09:27 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I really got to try out my new Flukes for the first time today after school. I came home to find my pond only half frozen, so I decided to go and give a few things a try. I started with a Clown Colored Husky Jerk: Nothing. Then a Black Blue Yum Craw Bug:nothing. Then I gave it one last attempt with the Super Fluke in Watermelon Candy. I hooked two, one got off half way in, and the other got off at the shore's edge. Then I went back out when my dad got home and caught two more. I was a little more forceful with my hooksets so I landed them both. No size to them, but I think I found my new cold-water confidence bait.

BB
BB, on the Super Flukes be sure to use a 3/0 offset hook and Texpose the hook (run it through the worm and skin hook it on top of the fluke. Watermelon Candy is just about one of my very best colors especially in colder water. Try using about 1/2 of nail weight inserted between the offset bend and the hook point for added weight (faster drop that allows the Super Fluke to fall in a horizontal manner), and spike the tail in Chartreuse. That will make for some pretty serious strikes!
Old 03-20-08, 05:25 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks, bob, I'll have to try addin the weight. I don't have any spike-it, so I probably won't do that. I have other colors in other brands, but haven't tried them yet because of the success I had on the watermelon candy.

BB
Old 03-23-08, 04:08 AM   #20
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When I first started using flukes on Lake Michigan I'd target the visible bass and the northern pike would fly in and annihilate them before the bass could turn toward them. Excellent baits!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.