Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-22-10, 08:01 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Rare question in relation to fishing; allergies....

I guess I am asking this in a tone of seriousness, and relating solely to bass fishing strategy...

I'm not allergic to much, but it seems the past few springs I have developed some spring allergies to pollen, grass, whatever. On a normal day, I just go on living with the symptoms. I'm indoors enough that it wont get too bad.

But on a fishing day, out there in God's great creation, I have been bound at times to make myself pretty sick by staying out. I'm not not going fishing this time. Im going. Is there any trick that someone has discovered to buy 15 hours of relief so I can get some valuable time on the lake? I would wear a doctors mask just to get out there. Claritin hasn't been so good in the past.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:12 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Billy, I'm allergic to everything from dust to just about any living plant. I've been on Zyrtec since I was little. It's now available without a prescription too. It's worked very good for me, and still does. When I was in the 6th grade, I took allergy shots, so now I don't need to take the Zyrtec in the winter, but I still do in the spring, summer and fall.

One word of warning though, take it before you go to bed, cause it will most likely make you sleepy. I've been on it over ten years and I've become immune to the drowsiness and actually take it in the morning, but some people get very tired from it.

BB
Old 02-22-10, 08:16 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got seasonal allergies too. The only thing that seems to help besides Benadryl is a prescription nasal spray. Benadryl usually helps but it makes you drowsy, not good while on the water. The nasal spray works but you have to take it over an extended period of time to get the affects. The nasal spray I use is "Fluticasone Propionate" which I think is generic Flonase. If your allergies are that bad it might be worth a trip to the Dr. Sorry if that isn't much help but I never found anything that worked for me for a one time situation that didn't put me to sleep.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:19 PM   #4
WTL

Actually, its all helpful. I think I'm just gonna try each one of what yall recommend and see if it doesnt help somewhat.
Old 02-22-10, 08:25 PM   #5
Jrob78

A interesting side note on Benadryl: Active ingredient, "Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg"

Tylenol P.M: Active ingredient, "Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg, Acetaminophen 500 mg"

Benadryl will make you sleepy!!
Old 02-22-10, 08:26 PM   #6
islandbass

Benadryl is magic. Every once in a blue moon plant pollens and such close irritate my eyes to make me look like a prize fighter and seal them to the point you could blind fold me with dental floss.

I will take some visine and benadryl along on some days for the just in case. Also, perhaps you can take it before you go so it's in effect. A little premptive action so to speak. Don't let those allergens prevent you from fishing.
Old 02-22-10, 08:41 PM   #7
bamabassman

Been down ALL day yesterday and today with conjestion. Bronkitius (spelling?) now in my chest. First time in 3 years i have been sick. Stayed home today, if i don't feel better tomorrow, going to the doctor. I know it starts with allergies, nose feels like a faucet is turned on, then it gets in oyur chest. Then you cough your head off. Only thing i hate about spring is the pollen causing this. I take nyquil at night, 44d during the day with dayquil, and afrin to releave my stuffed up nose. Carefull with the afrin, can cause and addiction.
Old 02-22-10, 08:46 PM   #8
Jrob78

You're right about that Bama, hope you get to feeling better. I get a bad sinus infection at least once a year from letting my allergies get out of control. I start taking the medicine after that and it clears everything up. Don't know why I wait until it's too late to start the medicine. The drainage from your sinuses can also wreak havoc on your stomach.
Old 02-22-10, 08:50 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Guess it depends on your symptoms, but for sinuses, especially sinus headaches, Tylenol Sinus is the best I've used.
If you want the best stuff, you hafta have the pharmacist unlock the cabinet for you. We do around here anyways.
Old 02-22-10, 08:53 PM   #10
Marty

Claritin isn't the only medication. try a few different ones. I'm allergic to tree pollen in the spring, but it doesn't cause much more than runny nose, sneezing and itchy eyes.

QUOTE]Benadryl will make you sleepy!! [/QUOTE]
It sure will. Its active ingredient is identical to Sominex and we use it for sleeping more than allergies.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:54 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

A mixture of Flonase, Saline nose spray, Claratin, and tylenol I can find. Keeps my head clear for the most part.
Old 02-22-10, 08:55 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
Guess it depends on your symptoms, but for sinuses, especially sinus headaches, Tylenol Sinus is the best I've used.
If you want the best stuff, you hafta have the pharmacist unlock the cabinet for you. We do around here anyways.
Meth heads screwed it up for everybody!
Old 02-22-10, 09:23 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Meth heads screwed it up for everybody!

Yep, they sure did. Used to be able to buy the good stuff in the little 2 packs at any gas station.
Old 02-22-10, 09:30 PM   #14
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I guess I am asking this in a tone of seriousness, and relating solely to bass fishing strategy...

I'm not allergic to much, but it seems the past few springs I have developed some spring allergies to pollen, grass, whatever. On a normal day, I just go on living with the symptoms. I'm indoors enough that it wont get too bad.

But on a fishing day, out there in God's great creation, I have been bound at times to make myself pretty sick by staying out. I'm not not going fishing this time. Im going. Is there any trick that someone has discovered to buy 15 hours of relief so I can get some valuable time on the lake? I would wear a doctors mask just to get out there. Claritin hasn't been so good in the past.
I had the same problem. Tried Claratin and did not work. Doctor wrote a prescription for Allegra - D , 12 hour, works great. take it right before I go out and good all day.
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:48 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

Claritin D 24 hour + 2 Advil before you leave the house.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:08 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Billy...I get something every late August/early September. I'm sure it has something to do with the local soybeans. I have always just suffered through it...but I'm getting too damned old to have to live with it. If you find a good allergy medicine that works, let me know so I can try it.
Old 02-22-10, 10:15 PM   #17
WTL

I'll let yall know if I find one that works. Took 25 mg of benadryl a hour back and nothing yet, really pretty worried about the fishing plans for tomorrow. Dont want to combine too many medicines.
Old 02-22-10, 10:44 PM   #18
Kevin
Administrator

I suffer from bad allergies in the spring and spring only. The only symptom I have is constantly sneezing or feeling I need to sneeze all day long.

I've tried everything through the years... Claritin D, Zyrtec, etc.

The thing that works the best for me is Zicam Allergy/Hay Fever Nose swabs. I'm a HUGE Zicam fan... that stuff works wonders.

I also use Zicam cold prevention and I swear by that as well.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 11:09 PM   #19
Bender

I have terrible allergies to about everything, been going to the doc since I was a little kid. I've tried pretty much everything including shots, sprays, pills, etc. Like suggested above you need to try several to see which one works for you. For me it is Claratin D-12/Alavert D-12 (same thing). The 24 is too weak and without the "D" you aren't getting the good stuff. If I forget to take medicine before I go to bed even now in the winter I feel like I have a huge hangover all the next day.

The nasal sprays seem to help when things get really out of control too. I used to use the one Jrob does, but now I'm trying Astepro and it seems to work O.K. Got to go to the doc to get those though.

You guys wouldn't even believe all the stuff I'm allergic to: chicken, turkey, grass, hay, sunflower, etc. It really isn't any fun.

BTW, if you are not used to it don't take the "D" before bed, it makes some people stay up all night.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 11:46 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
The thing that works the best for me is Zicam Allergy/Hay Fever Nose swabs. I'm a HUGE Zicam fan... that stuff works wonders.

I also use Zicam cold prevention and I swear by that as well
I would be careful using certain Zicam products.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/16/zicam.fda.warning/
Old 02-23-10, 08:12 AM   #21
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I would be careful using certain Zicam products.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/16/zicam.fda.warning/
Yea, apparently the nose swaps make you lose your sense of smell. I forgot. I believe they have been taken off the market and replaced with either nasal spray or mouth spray.

It's so hard to believe though because you don't really put the swab up INTO your nose... but better safe than sorry.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:51 AM   #22
Bassboss

Thanks for the thread Billy! I've had allergies this year and never had then before, so it's all new to me, and it sucks!
Old 02-23-10, 09:20 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I forgot about the nasal spray, I also used to be on flonase during the bad seasons (everything but winter for me),

My doctor was afraid I would become immune to Zyrtec after taking it for 10 years, so he tried me a few different things: Claritin, Allegra, etc. Besides the Zyrtec for me, the Claritin worked the best, but made my throat very dry. After about a week of taking it, I drank 5 and half bottles of water on the boat one fishing trip. I stopped taking it after that.

BB
Old 02-23-10, 09:25 AM   #24
WTL

This is turning out to be a better thread than I thought. I was expecting a "come on WTL, man up and go fishing" type response....glad to know that other people have had some of the same problems and have found some answers, gives me hope. I used to not take medicine much at all just cause I wanted to try and work my way through things, but I have come off that a bit.

And I feel ok right now, so I will be hooking up the boat and going. Got a bunch of benadryl, gonna take some before hand.
Old 02-23-10, 11:13 AM   #25
MallenManson

I've never taken it but my dad swears by Claritin. He gets them at Sams Club pretty cheap

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.