Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-10, 04:44 AM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Yum Money Frog

Has anyone had any experience with these? I saw them on Bill dance Outdoors yesterday and he was killing them with it in the pads. I have never used frogs before, but I would get these if they really work that good. We have spatterdock all over the place here, so I have a lot of places to try them.

We mostly have stained water, but some clear weedy water too. Any thoughts on sizes and colors would be great too.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-10, 07:09 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

People love frog baits in general. I've only used a few, and never the money frog. They look pretty nice. I use the Zoom Horny Toad or Strike King Rage Tail Toad.

I wouldn't buy them just cause Bill Dance was killing them on em. He kills em on everything since he fishes stocked private lakes. lol. But they do look pretty nice, so if you give them a try let us know how you like em.

BB
Old 06-06-10, 07:17 AM   #3
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
People love frog baits in general. I've only used a few, and never the money frog. They look pretty nice. I use the Zoom Horny Toad or Strike King Rage Tail Toad.

I wouldn't buy them just cause Bill Dance was killing them on em. He kills em on everything since he fishes stocked private lakes. lol. But they do look pretty nice, so if you give them a try let us know how you like em.

BB
You know, I don't watch dance often, so I don't know him well, but I kinda thought that might be the case. At any rate, I still want to give these, or something like them a try.
Old 06-06-10, 08:39 AM   #4
Bassboss

Never used them, they never looked that good to me to be honest. I've always loved Strike King Rage tail's Shads and Toads, and Stanley Ribbits. I've never used horny toads, but want to this season.

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-06-10 at 05:23 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 09:11 AM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am a big fan of all teh Rage Tail products... but if the Money Frog is anything like the Money Minnow... its over rated...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 09:40 AM   #6
Jrob78

I like fishing toads too, haven't tried the Money Frog though. I do know that they are kind of pricey. I normally use Horny Toads and Rage Toads.

Haha, Sammy, you've never sued horny roads? You're funny
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 12:00 PM   #7
bassinbob

Tried the money frog last weekend. Although I didn't get any hits on it I cannot judge it as of yet. The horny toad did no better last week up at my lake. The pads weren't fully up yet. I do like the action of the money frog. I would place its' action somewhere in the middle of the HT and RT. It's more subtle than the RT but more pronounced than the HT.
I like the swimming action. I will give it a fair workout this summer.
Old 06-06-10, 01:50 PM   #8
Jim80

I'm a big frog fan myself but have not tried those I tend to stick to the rage tails or stanley ribbits

jim
Old 06-06-10, 02:48 PM   #9
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Just bought a pack the other day, the black ones, I think they're called "dart frog". Been fishing at a local quarry with it and caught the biggest bass of my life on it. Only problem is is that they really don't float, so they're constantly needing to be reeled, kind of like a buzzbait. Other than that great noise on the top of the water to attract those strikes. It is also maybe a little big, I think I have missed a few fish because of it, but I'm not sure. Great buy overall, better than the money hound
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31820_1302335125151_1433640083_30623132_5569679_n.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	5295  
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 05:18 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.ego View Post
Just bought a pack the other day, the black ones, I think they're called "dart frog". Been fishing at a local quarry with it and caught the biggest bass of my life on it. Only problem is is that they really don't float, so they're constantly needing to be reeled, kind of like a buzzbait. Other than that great noise on the top of the water to attract those strikes. It is also maybe a little big, I think I have missed a few fish because of it, but I'm not sure. Great buy overall, better than the money hound
To answer BFJ's original question, I have never used the Yum Money Frog. I had great luck with the Spro Poppin' Frog last year, so that's what I plan to use again this year.

jr.ego -- just curious, what don't you like about the Yum Money Hound? I caught LM with them my first time out and I think they'll work great in the pads on the lake I fish.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:04 PM   #11
lilmule

It also depends upon the action the fish want,horney toads get about twice as many strikes here on tn portion of ky lake than those with paddle tails.You can however buy a paddle tail version that does float,but normally most sink and one can catch fish on a sinking type retrieve but best at or on top stop n go popping buzzing etc.
Floaters the spro king and poping frog along with bully wa are the best,here anyway.
As for missing fish on them,some days they just dont take them well like a buzzbait,missing floater strikes is not amiss one must wait for the fish to turn count 1 sec 2 sec before setting the hook,a strike upon the commode flush wont get much results.
I fish both the horney toad and a floater like the poping frog and in places like this.

Anymore I kind off like pads over topped grass.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:23 PM   #12
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Watterboy, don't get me wrong they have a great action to them. I don't know why I have a problem with them, I mistakenly bought a set of the bigger ones which, by the way are unnecessarily large, and a pack of smaller ones. The large ones float fine but i often find the smaller ones sinking. I use a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook, and they just seem to sink on me and spiral around under the water. Other than the sinking problem they are great for casting into slop and weeds. If you have any suggestions on rigging them please tell so I can successfully use this bait.
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 09:08 PM   #13
Froggin4Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Being a avid frogger, I have these in my tackle box and they work semi- great, doesn't match the Zoom Horny Toads in my opinion.
Froggin4Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 09:39 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.ego View Post
Watterboy, don't get me wrong they have a great action to them. I don't know why I have a problem with them, I mistakenly bought a set of the bigger ones which, by the way are unnecessarily large, and a pack of smaller ones. The large ones float fine but i often find the smaller ones sinking. I use a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook, and they just seem to sink on me and spiral around under the water. Other than the sinking problem they are great for casting into slop and weeds. If you have any suggestions on rigging them please tell so I can successfully use this bait.
I use a 5/0 Gamakatsu EWG Monster Worm hook and don't have any problem with it sinking or spiraling. I'm using 50 lb braided line. Other than that, not sure what else I can tell you at this point, but I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 11:38 PM   #15
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never fished frogs before, so I bought a pack of the Zoom Horny Toads and tried them this weekend. I got amazing strikes... but no fish! Probably 25 to 30 strikes and ZERO hook sets.

Here's my question: The Horny Toad has a groove on the BOTTOM of the bait. I would think that the groove was for the point of the hook, but that would mean the hook would be upside down from what I normally fish. I looked at other soft frog imitations, and the ones that have similar grooves have them on the TOP of the bait. So, on a Horny Toad do you rest the point of the hook in the groove even though the groove is on the bottom? I ignored the groove, and rigged it like a texas worm, pushing the hook all the way through the frog and then sliding the point of the hook JUST under the plastic so it is weedless. From the terrible luck I had, I'm assuming that was wrong?

I have been searching the internet to figure out what I was doing wrong. I was fishing with 20 lb braided line on a 6'6" medium/heavy rod and using the 5/0 horny-toad-hook with the spring attachment on the front. After reading this thread and a couple other forums I realize that I probably set the hook too soon on some of the fish, but there were at least 10 times where the fish had the whole frog in his mouth and was on the line for 2 or 3 seconds and then just spit the lure out.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 01:04 AM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I've never fished frogs before, so I bought a pack of the Zoom Horny Toads and tried them this weekend. I got amazing strikes... but no fish! Probably 25 to 30 strikes and ZERO hook sets.

Here's my question: The Horny Toad has a groove on the BOTTOM of the bait. I would think that the groove was for the point of the hook, but that would mean the hook would be upside down from what I normally fish. I looked at other soft frog imitations, and the ones that have similar grooves have them on the TOP of the bait. So, on a Horny Toad do you rest the point of the hook in the groove even though the groove is on the bottom? I ignored the groove, and rigged it like a texas worm, pushing the hook all the way through the frog and then sliding the point of the hook JUST under the plastic so it is weedless. From the terrible luck I had, I'm assuming that was wrong?

I have been searching the internet to figure out what I was doing wrong. I was fishing with 20 lb braided line on a 6'6" medium/heavy rod and using the 5/0 horny-toad-hook with the spring attachment on the front. After reading this thread and a couple other forums I realize that I probably set the hook too soon on some of the fish, but there were at least 10 times where the fish had the whole frog in his mouth and was on the line for 2 or 3 seconds and then just spit the lure out.
IowaB - Personally, I like to use a 4/0-5/0 hook with the horny toads. I run the hook in probably a 1/4" and then turn the hook out on the belly side. I bury the eye of the hook to almost the point it exits on then bottom side. Then I run the hook all the way back through the frog and let it rest on the back of the frog. I don't give them much time on a hookset either. Maybe a 3 count at the most. But experiment, set them fast, then delay your set until you get a happy medium for how well they are inhaling the bait that day.
I know you said you are using a MH power rod too. But make sure it has a pretty fast action to send the hook home.
Old 09-27-10, 10:31 AM   #17
IowaBasser

Default Bubba Bruiser, a little clarification please?

I found a link that shows how to rig a Horny Toad:

http://bassfishingdem.blogspot.com/2008/05/rigging-plastic-frog.html

I was basically rigging the same way, only I didn't have the point of the hook exposed, instead I had the point of the hook just under the skin of the soft body. (probably my problem)

Bubba Bruiser said, "I run the hook all the way back through the frog." Does this mean you do not rig the frog like the picture in the above link ...instead the shank of the hook is buried in the body of the frog?

Thank you for your help!

P.S. I just hope I get chance this fall to give the frog another try - I mainly fish a private lake where my Dad has a house (2 hours away.) The next few weekends I have plans and I'm afraid my Dad will pull his boat out for the winter before I can get back down there.
Old 09-27-10, 10:55 AM   #18
BigBurlyBass

I bought a pack of Money Frogs. I did not get any strikes on them but i could not get them to swim right? Really only one leg would kick plus if I wanted any action on them at all then I would have to reel them in very fast. They are not very durable though either and they don't float plus kinda expensive. I guess I would not buy these again but that was really the first frog i fished. I want to try the Rage Tail Toad Those look great!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 12:05 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I found a link that shows how to rig a Horny Toad:

http://bassfishingdem.blogspot.com/2008/05/rigging-plastic-frog.html

I was basically rigging the same way, only I didn't have the point of the hook exposed, instead I had the point of the hook just under the skin of the soft body. (probably my problem)
That could be the problem...leave the hook resting on the back of the frog, or do what's called "Tex-posing," which is described in that article.

Bubba Bruiser said, "I run the hook all the way back through the frog." Does this mean you do not rig the frog like the picture in the above link ...instead the shank of the hook is buried in the body of the frog?
In your link, they're using a hook with a screw-style bait keeper. Bubba is referring to a regular EWG hook, without that keeper. Like this one:

He's just saying that you can't see the eye of the hook once he's rigged the toad.....it's buried in the nose of the frog.
I hope this answers your question. Also, set the hook HARD when you get a strike. Wait a couple of seconds after the blowup, then try to yank the bass into the boat on the hookset. You need to really drive the hook home.
Old 09-27-10, 12:06 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
I bought a pack of Money Frogs. I did not get any strikes on them but i could not get them to swim right? Really only one leg would kick plus if I wanted any action on them at all then I would have to reel them in very fast. They are not very durable though either and they don't float plus kinda expensive. I guess I would not buy these again but that was really the first frog i fished. I want to try the Rage Tail Toad Those look great!
I really like the Rage Tail toads...they have bigger feet than the horny toads, so they make a lot more wake/noise.
Old 09-27-10, 01:16 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You're rigging the toads fine, I don't think that's your problem. I don't think YOU are doing anything wrong as long as you wait a few seconds.

If I had to make one adjustment to your setup, I'd go with at least a longer rod, preferably, a longer and heavier rod. I think a 7'-7'3" rod will solve your problem. I've got a 7'3" MH that suggests horny toads on the rod, and I'd be hesitant to use the MH.

BB
Old 09-27-10, 01:26 PM   #22
Garry2rs

For the past three years I have had success fishing Yum Buzz Frogs, Rage Tail Toads, and many of their cousins from other manufacturers.

My experience wasn't quite an instant success. Like everything else there was a learning curve. To save you the growing pains here are my Quick-Tips for anyone who is just starting to use these great baits.

First, here's the technical side of the story.
After much trial, error, experimentation and expense, I am now using 4/0 Mustad Ultra Point 32826BLN jig hooks.

I added a stainless steel corkscrew that snaps through the 45 degree eye. I bought the hooks and screws from Barlow's, an on-line tackle making supplies place. When assembled, this give me a unit that's quite similar to those expensive Owner Screw-Lock hooks.

The corkscrew holds the solid body frog/toad to the eye of the hook. It can't slide down the shank and ball-up blocking the hook point. It also stops the bait from getting torn or thrown off by a fish.

These toads are fished fairly fast, like a buzz-bait, not with a slow twitch like a hollow body Skum-Frog etc. The bait will sometimes roll over on the retrieve. When it does I give the rod tip a quick pop...If that doesn't roll it back over, I keep cranking. They seem to work either way.

Last year I decided that for toads/frogs etc. I preferred a casting rod. Part of that was for the hook-set but mostly in was the amount of weed you sometimes have to move to drag-in the fish.

Since this is a reaction bait, and the cover is heavy, I am using 20# Mono. I keep most of the line off the water with a high rod tip. However as the bait gets closer and the rod tip comes down, the buoyant mono helps the bait ride high. Thirty or forty pound braid would work just as well, but the thicker mono turned out to be a bonus when the unexpected Musky hit.

These are big-fish baits.

Dinks will come up and grab a foot, dragging the bait under, but fish over a pound will swallow it whole!

When fishing these toads, if you get a hit but no hook-up, stop reeling. In clear water I have seen two or three bass following the bait. Very often the smallest fish rushes ahead and hits the toad without hooking up. If you stop reeling and let the bait hang dead-in-the-water the biggest fish might grab it. I have seen this several times.
Garry2R's
Fishing is my favorite form of loafing.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 01:58 PM   #23
IowaBasser

Thanks Mississippi Boy & everyone else - I can't wait to get back on the water and see if I can't get a couple in the boat!

Last edited by IowaBasser; 09-27-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:21 PM   #24
IowaBasser

Garry2rs, Nice fish in your picture. I can't help but notice the rain in the background. I seemed to get the most strikes on my horny toad in the rain. Is that common?
Old 09-29-10, 12:05 AM   #25
Old Hooker

All the lakes around me don't have any vegetation to speak of (TVA impoundments). Is there any other type places to fish a frog?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.