Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-08-04, 11:03 AM   #1
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TonyNucci
Default Small fish = big fish?

Stupid question maybe but any comments will be appreciated...

Two friends and I have been fishing this small pond close to our town with various lures. We've caught a few small ones. Does small fish indicate that there must be big fish or are we wasting our time? My friend says we are wasting our time, i think not... but i need to convince him to go again. Its a fairly small pond maybe 200m x 60m and we've fished all the banks and all the strucure we can see.

TonyNucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 11:22 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Small fish = big fish?

There reallly isn't any way to tell except to fish it. If the pond has been around for a while it may have a couple big ones. I caught a 8 pounder out of a pond that was maybe 75 meters long and 25 meters wide, so you never know.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 10:04 PM   #3
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Follow Reb's advice and keep fishing it. Having caught a "few small ones" is not enough to make a determination.

Of the ponds I fish, there are two that are pretty opposite. One has gone steadily downhill over the last 10 years, and very few bass can be caught there now. But what can be caught is often a relatively large fish.

Another pond is in a park that just opened last year. It is loaded with bass, but having caught well over 200 of them, I have only seen two over 14".

I'm no scientist, but I know that any given body of water can support just so much fish. Say a pond can support 1000 pounds of bass. Maybe it's 1000 one-pounders, 500 two-pounders, or some combination. You'll need more time to determine where yours falls.

Where are you located? I assume you're either a scientist or located in a country that uses the metric system.

mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 10:53 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

marty south africa

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 03:17 AM   #5
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

So its time everyone changes to the metric system.

I get too much math exercise converting all these oz and lbs to something that makes sense...
Old 11-09-04, 10:35 AM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Didn't think about that-about 3.5 kg ;D
Old 11-09-04, 03:27 PM   #7
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Convert to metric - that'd make catching a double digit bass pretty tough ;D ;DEven in Mexico
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 06:33 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Reb and Marty pretty much covered it. If you really want to know what's in the pond, and have cash to burn. You could have someone come over and shock it, to see what size fish and varieties you have there.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 10:10 PM   #9
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1099922630;start=0#3 date=11/08/04 at 20:53:52]marty south africa[/quote]
Thanks Zook.

Tinusp (and others), why not set up a signature with your location in it, like many of us have done, so that when we see peoples' posts we can put them in better perspective, knowing their location.

I'd love to join you down there. Just think, your fish must be starting the spawn, I'd stay there six months, then come back here and be perpetually fishing the spawn and the summer. My mouth waters just thinking about that prospect. 8)
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 06:15 AM   #10
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

well, the size of the fish you catch can to some extent dictate the size of the fish that are in a specific body of water. A well rounded body of water will produce small fish, medium sized fish, and large fish. A body of water that is over populated will produce a large number of smaller fish. Just because a body of water produces a large number of smaller fish doesn't mean that larger fish aren't present, it probably means that they are just not there in great numbers. Keep fishing, and start using larger lures. Start fishing for big fish. You may not catch near as many fish, but the ones you do catch will be heavier. As far as lbs and all that, well, fish are usually measured in so many fish per acre of water. this is obtained with a shocking study, but even a shocking study isn't that accurate. Water temp, water level, time of year, cover, and a host of other factors can inhibit an accurate shocking study. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 06:46 AM   #11
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Thx mtbassman

What exactly is a schocking study?

Well I'm not going to this pond again soon.
Went there the last 2 afteroons, three of us trying different lures,but nothing, not even a strike. Last night decided that I'm not going there again. Then this morning decided to give it another try... Again nothing, I'm done with this pond. And my summary of it a very small polluted pond carrying a very small population of very small picky bass.

There's another dam about 30 minute drive away, called Heyshope. Huge dam where they have a lot of bass competitions. Thought that I will be wasting my time from the shore but one guy I just spoke to caught 20 this weekend from the bank, small mostly and one nice one of 1.3kg. All with watermelon seed flukes

Will go give it a try, have now got the spot and the lure, so if i still catch nothing then i dont know...

Cheers

Old 11-10-04, 11:22 AM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

tinusp, a shocking survey is a way to determine what is in a body of water. Â*Here is the States it is usually the fish and wildlife department goes out and introduces an electrical charge into the water that stuns the fish so they will float to the surface and they can then see what is in there.
Old 11-11-04, 01:10 AM   #13
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1099922630;start=0#11 date=11/10/04 at 09:22:34]tinusp, a shocking survey is a way to determine what is in a body of water. Â*Here is the States it is usually the fish and wildlife department goes out and introduces an electrical charge into the water that stuns the fish so they will float to the surface and they can then see what is in there.[/quote]

huh?

do they kill the fish or shock them for a few minutes?
...or, was that a joke?

j/w...

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 01:26 AM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

No seaphantom, no joke. Biologists will shock bodies of water to see what fish and size of fish are in it. It doesn't kill them, just stuns them for a little while.
Old 11-11-04, 01:48 AM   #15
bassguy2004

By shocking a determined area and counting the fish, the fish and game biologists can extrapolate how many fish are in a lake. I guess give or take a few hundred.
Old 11-11-04, 03:11 AM   #16
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

I will wait for a thunderstorm and do my own shocking study...

By the way, what happens when lightning strikes the water, does that kill fish?
Old 11-11-04, 05:46 AM   #17
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Yes, a shocking study is the only really accurate way to determine the population of a particular body of water. No it does not kill the fish, it just stuns them for a few seconds. I do mean a few seconds, lol, they float to the top, and if you don't net them quick, its goodbye. Like I said before, it isn't always a 100% accurate way to gauge it. Water temp, structure type, water level, and a lot of different factors can contribute to the effects of this. It is interesting to watch though. Unless it is conducted by your local wildlife and fisheries department, then it is Highly illegal.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.