Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-23-11, 09:17 AM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
The baby Torpedo is about the only prop bait I throw other than a buzz bait and buzz spoon. I don't do squat with buzz baits so the Baby Torpedo is my main gig with props.
I wish to make a retraction of something I said in my quote. I said I don't do squat with the buzzbaits. Well that has changed in a big way since I posted this. Add buzzbaits as an up and comming favorite prop bait for me. All of a sudden they are producing well for me. I think I have a couple Devils Horse baits around I havn't touched in years. Maybe I should dust them off and give them a try again!
Old 07-28-11, 03:51 PM   #27
vafishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vafishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
These are my favorite.
http://www.brianscrankbaits.com/prop_bee2.htm

They are expensive but they are absolutely killer baits. Been fishing them for about 5 years now and I don't know how many have bass I've caught with them. Smallies crush them in the fall up against the rocks.
Second these. They are just great baits.
Old 07-30-11, 01:33 AM   #28
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I wanted to update what I posted about tinkering with the blades on the Kelly J. I was disappointed at first because the bait was too quiet and it was almost like it was wanting to dive rather than churn up the surface. After playing around with different blade angles I think I have it dialed in. I basically have both blades straightened out flat and now the bait has a great "chop" sound to it and doesn't glide very far when you pop it, which is important to me because I fish it around shallow cover, docks, and even schooling fish and in every situation I want the bait to make a lot of noise but not cover too much water at once so it stays in the sweet spot longer.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 06:01 PM   #29
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
I agree, but I have always had problems with getting the line wound around the front prop fairly often, so I took off the front pop, removed one of the 3 trebles, moved the front treble to about the middle of the bait, put a strip of lead tape on top in the front and VOILA: new and improved devil's horse. Haven't caught a thing on it since I modified it, but at least the line doesn't get tangled
Hey Dave All lures with hanging trebles will sometimes "throw a leg" over the line. I doubt your mods killed this baits appeal..keep throwin it.
Old 09-08-11, 07:53 PM   #30
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
These are my favorite.
http://www.brianscrankbaits.com/prop_bee2.htm

They are expensive but they are absolutely killer baits. Been fishing them for about 5 years now and I don't know how many have bass I've caught with them. Smallies crush them in the fall up against the rocks.
Great looking, but...$30?!!! They better produce.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 11:08 PM   #31
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Great looking, but...$30?!!! They better produce.
I can promise you that's a good price with as much time and effort that he puts into building those.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 10:03 AM   #32
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc David View Post
I can promise you that's a good price with as much time and effort that he puts into building those.
Problem is...at that price, I can't afford to stock multiple design/colors, or to lose one...and my primary fishing "hole" has lots of toothy critters that love stealing my topwaters, I lost three frogs, and a buzzbait last season!Guess I'll keep playing the powerball. LOL
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 09:22 PM   #33
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm definitely a big fan of the Heddon Torpedo and Smithwick Devil's Horse. Can't decide between the two...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.