Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-04-11, 02:07 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default 7 its the top gear ratio for a reel, at moment right?

a guy in one of my classes, said that he was thinking of getting a fast reel for top water/frog/buzz.. and well i converted him to baitcasters and such, told him about thiis site, not sure if he joined, anyway he said he wanted somthing faster that a 7 sothing gear ratio, i have never seen or heard of one, granted i have not studied them. but i told him with a few cranks my buzz literally almost glided on top of the water, with my 7 gear, anyway, long story for short question is there anything past 7 and if not would somone need it.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 02:22 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Tell him to check around on the internet and search the inches per turn (IPT) of reels. A 7:1 gear ratio can vary from 28-32 IPT (Maybe even more/less). It might not sound like much being 4", but chunk and wind on a hot buzz bait bite for a few hours. It adds up quick.
Old 09-04-11, 02:23 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i don't think there are any faster reels than a 7 gear.............yet.
Old 09-04-11, 02:52 PM   #4
islandbass

As far as gear ratio, I don't think so at this time as bama mentioned. However, if your buddy is thinking higher gear ratio but really means greater line recovery rate, then he need not look any further than some spinning reels.

For example, did you know that a Shimano Symetre, despite having a lower gear ratio of 6.2:1, pulls in more line per revolution than the fastest casting burner out there? It pulls in 35" of line for complete turn of the handle vs the Curado 7:1 which does 30"

It really shouldn't be that surprising and actually makes sense. Just a thought.
Old 09-04-11, 03:01 PM   #5
wallywallace

alright.. pretty cool.. i will tell him lol some people are never satisfied
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:07 AM   #6
keithdog

I believe the fastest casting reel made right now is made by Quanum. It's the KVD Tour Baitcast reel. It has a top ratio of 7.3:1.
Old 09-06-11, 09:10 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Abu's new Revo MGX is currently the fastest reel on the market as far as gear ratio goes. It is the only reel I've seen to have a 7.9:1 gear ratio, although I've heard it's IPT is going to be comparable to the standard Revos in 7.1:1.

Both Daiwa and Quantum make a 7.3:1 reel, with Daiwa's bringing in approximately 32.5" IPT. I'm not up on the Quantums, so I couldn't tell you what the 7.3:1 KVD reel's IPT is.

BB
Old 09-06-11, 09:21 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Abu's new Revo MGX is currently the fastest reel on the market as far as gear ratio goes. It is the only reel I've seen to have a 7.9:1 gear ratio, although I've heard it's IPT is going to be comparable to the standard Revos in 7.1:1.

Both Daiwa and Quantum make a 7.3:1 reel, with Daiwa's bringing in approximately 32.5" IPT. I'm not up on the Quantums, so I couldn't tell you what the 7.3:1 KVD reel's IPT is.

BB
Took the words right outa my mouth.

One thing I'll add that although a spinning reel sounds faster and takes in more line per tern, don't mean it's fast when it comes to fishing it.

With a spinning reel, you cast, reach around with one hand, and flip the bail. By the time you get the bail flipped you're buzz bait can be a few feet under the water all ready. So by the time you get the buzzbait to the top, it might not be till the middle of the cast.

With a baitcaster, you cast, as soon as it hits (or before) you engage the reel and start reeling. if done right you can have the buzzbait up and on top the water within a foot of where the bait landed.
Old 09-06-11, 09:34 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Took the words right outa my mouth.

One thing I'll add that although a spinning reel sounds faster and takes in more line per tern, don't mean it's fast when it comes to fishing it.

With a spinning reel, you cast, reach around with one hand, and flip the bail. By the time you get the bail flipped you're buzz bait can be a few feet under the water all ready. So by the time you get the buzzbait to the top, it might not be till the middle of the cast.

With a baitcaster, you cast, as soon as it hits (or before) you engage the reel and start reeling. if done right you can have the buzzbait up and on top the water within a foot of where the bait landed.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. While most of the spinning reels I use are similar or slower to an average 6:1 casting reel as far as IPT goes, it wouldn't be hard to match the speed "fishing it" to that of the casting reels. Simply close the bail before the bait hits the water, and when you bait hits, reel. And the only time this is even a concern would be fishing buzzbaits, toads, or burning a spinnerbait right at the surface. Other than that, you'd have to wait for a bait to sink before retrieving or the second it takes to flip the bail wouldn't make a difference like in the case of a crankbait or frog.

BB
Old 09-06-11, 09:46 PM   #10
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

here.. 7.9 to 1
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...page-AMGX.html
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 09:53 PM   #11
nofearengineer

With a topwater lure and a baitcaster, I don't start reeling until late in the game anyways. I thumb the spool and pull the lure with the rod the second the lure hits the water...then engage the reel and take up the slack as you gradually stop pulling.

Good Lord stop with all of the gear ratio hype. It means nothing.
Old 09-06-11, 11:19 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

IPT IPT IPT IPT hahahahaha. That's for you Bryce hahahaha.
Old 09-06-11, 11:25 PM   #13
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
With a topwater lure and a baitcaster, I don't start reeling until late in the game anyways. I thumb the spool and pull the lure with the rod the second the lure hits the water...then engage the reel and take up the slack as you gradually stop pulling.

exactly..buzzbait retrieve,the instant it touches the water
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 11:31 PM   #14
oglejust

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
exactly..buzzbait retrieve,the instant it touches the water
couldnt have said it better
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 12:13 AM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
IPT IPT IPT IPT hahahahaha. That's for you Bryce hahahaha.

Haha, Bubba...I don't want to talk about it any more.
Old 09-07-11, 04:36 AM   #16
Dogmatic

To go off on a tangent that was raised, about the speed between a baitcaster and a spinning rig...wouldn't any speed/time lost on a spinning outfit flipping the bale after a cast, compare to the speed lost switching hands with a baitcaster? I don't know about any of you guys, but I cast with my right hand, switch the rod to my left hand(although I use both hands to cast really), and reel with my right? Am I doing it wrong?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 09:23 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
To go off on a tangent that was raised, about the speed between a baitcaster and a spinning rig...wouldn't any speed/time lost on a spinning outfit flipping the bale after a cast, compare to the speed lost switching hands with a baitcaster? I don't know about any of you guys, but I cast with my right hand, switch the rod to my left hand(although I use both hands to cast really), and reel with my right? Am I doing it wrong?
You just opened a BIG can of worms. Put on your waders and good luck getting out.

BB
Old 09-07-11, 10:39 AM   #18
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
You just opened a BIG can of worms. Put on your waders and good luck getting out.

BB
So you saying that my "dirty little secret", that I am right-handed, but prefer to use left-handed baitcasters is a "hotly" debated subject?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 10:57 AM   #19
nofearengineer

I wouldn't call it a secret. "Left-handed" bait casters are used almost exclusively by right-handed anglers. Actual left-handed people have been enjoying "right-handed" bait casters since they were invented.

But I wouldn't bother with getting into this argument. It's more like a religious discussion, full of hideous displays of poor logic and stubbornness. I will leave you with this tidbit:

Why even continue calling it a bait caster when most anglers who use them turn up their noses as the very thought of using bait?
Old 09-07-11, 12:40 PM   #20
rrw4258

Fastest IPT on the market, I believe, is the 7.3:1 Tour KVD reel... I have several, and they bring in 34" per turn. Talk about BLAZING!

Ryan
Old 09-07-11, 02:09 PM   #21
DVT Mike

IPT is the true metric of retrieve speed and IPT is a function of gear ratio and spool diameter. The advantages of different ratios (IPTs) is rather subtle and IMO limited to a handful of specific applications. The same can probably be said for rod lengths and actions etc. It boils down to user preference in the end.
Old 09-07-11, 05:26 PM   #22
Tavery5

Quote:

Bryce, as you know I disagree with this statement. So I am going to give you a scenario to try to illustrate my point.

You have two separate reels, made by different manufacturers. Both reel retrieve 28 inches of line. The person that is going to be fishing this reel is going to use it for deep diving cranks such as the Norman DD22 and large bladed spinner baits. Are you interested in what the gear ratios are?
Old 09-07-11, 05:43 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
You have two separate reels, made by different manufacturers. Both reel retrieve 28 inches of line. The person that is going to be fishing this reel is going to use it for deep diving cranks such as the Norman DD22 and large bladed spinner baits. Are you interested in what the gear ratios are?
Not one bit interested. They will both require exactly the same force on the handle to turn (assuming the handles are the same size).

Now, if one was a Shimano, then I might not want it. (That's for Bubba!)
Old 09-07-11, 05:53 PM   #24
Tavery5

Bryce, let me try another scenario, you have two trucks identical in everyway, they are both towing a trailer with 2000 lbs up a hill. One truck will start out in low gear, the other will start out in High gear, which will have the better luck pulling the weight up the hill?

Surely you have felt the difference between cranking a deep diving crankbait on a 5.1:1 low gear ratio reel and 7.1:1 or similar high speed reel. If not give it a try and get back with me.
Old 09-07-11, 06:11 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Tony.....

HAHAHAHA.

Why do we have to do this?

Okay, here goes...

Your truck scenario is the exact opposite of what I think you are trying so hard to "prove". If you compare it to the reels with the same IPT, you're saying both trucks pull the load up the hill at exactly the same speed. Is that the case?

The reason the two reels feel different is the "low gear" reel has fewer IPT. You're not doing as much work with each turn of the handle; i.e. the bait is being retrieved slower. If it's not, then you're reeling faster; i.e. more turns. Why do you think spinning reel gear ratios are so low? Because their bail travel path has such a large diameter; i.e. they are high IPT. Every try to retrieve a DD22 with a spinning reel? Not fun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.