Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-11-06, 12:47 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Best ride

Can I get some opinions on the best running and fishing bass boats in the 18 to19' class. Quality counts. Any help would be appreciated.Mike
Old 01-11-06, 01:55 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ranger if ya can afford one.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 03:29 PM   #3
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i plan on having a boat like that some day, not for a while though seeing as how i cant even afford a jon boat.
Old 01-11-06, 06:44 PM   #4
zooker

ranger but they are a barge- slow- ,stratos better speed lighter better over all performance -about 1/2 of the price of a ranger. procraft -good ride better handlin than most it weighs almost as much as a ranger..

an 18 foot ranger with a 150 set up right about 60.
an 18 foot stratos with a 150 set up right about 70.
an 18 foot procraft with a 150 set up right about 65.
price wise.
ranger 18 foot-new- 33,000
stratos 18 foot -new-20,000
procraft 18 foot -new-25,000

in my personal opinion i will never buy a new boat regaurdless of what make or model. the first year you own a new boat you wear the tires off haulin it back and forth to the repair shop..

also bullet,allison,triton,basscat did not make this list. you asked for best ridin, not the fastest. the basscat rides as good as any stratos i have been in but there hulls are mostly 19'10'' to 22 feet.-this was the only reason i did not add them. the rest of the above list ride like a cement truck with square wheels. the toon being the worst...

zooker
Old 01-11-06, 06:58 PM   #5
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes Zook, the Ranger is slow, (I think that mine is about as slow as any 6 cyl. boat in the cub !) But the stability is good. At least from what I've found.
I've been in alot of different boats, but I still think that my Ranger while being slow, has one of the best rides around. I would love to go 75 but I'll take what I've got and smile ! Yes 62 is about all that I can get. But it cranks well and runs well, at least for now !
Old 01-11-06, 07:03 PM   #6
JB

I'll have to agree with the stratos being a nice ride too, I used to fish with a old iron worker that had a nice 86 red one..it was a couple of years old by then, probably around 89-90 era.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 07:12 PM   #7
WTL

Zook, what are the drafts on these boats and your average fiberglass boat? Eventually I'm going to move up to maybe an 18 footer or so, I need the tackle storage space, but I don't want to give up that manueverability that my smaller boat has now. Would I be better off just getting a larger version of what I have now, a aluminum V hull and outfitting it with a small deck, compartments, ect?
Old 01-11-06, 07:32 PM   #8
Unregistered

Talking Thanks

VERY GOOD info.I appreciate everybodys input.Mike
Old 01-11-06, 09:15 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Ranger, because I like bassnman30 don't need to go 75 MPH. And most companies forget to tell you what that does to someones back by the way OUCH! They also, after intital purchase, do reasonbly well on holding there value. Yes it's a heavier boat, but the ride and stability are better than the others. I have yet to ride in a Basscat, Bullet or Allison though. I don't know that I want to ride in a Bullet, my body tells me no. Anyway I am in no way a expert, but this was my experience from fishing from others boats. A 21 Ranger with a 225 on it moves moves in the 70's, at least when it is 37 degrees out LOL

Lizards
Old 01-11-06, 10:21 PM   #10
zooker

most glass boats float in 10+ inches mine is designed to float in 6". i know abunch about skinny water. express or g3 are the best skinny water boats.
i can't punch it and get to plane unless i am sitting in at least 5 feet of water. other wise i hit bottom.

zooker
Old 01-12-06, 07:08 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Zook Has done his homework VERY well. Yes Ranger has ONE of the best rides,fit and finish and does hold resale value very well. BassCat has come so far in there design,ride etc they are in a class by themselves. The fastbass crowd gives up some comfort in the Bullet,Allison,stroker,Laser hulls. They are FAST,plane quick but DO kick you in the kidneys on the rougher days. But everyone has forgotten the VERY BEST riding,handling,the best storage design IMHO boat on the market. Champion. They are quick beautiful boats. Ever since they went back to the drawing board when they had problems with the durability of there boats they have far surpassed what they used to build. No one builds a boat that handles rough water or performs like a Champion will. Wide open kill the motor and NO wter in the boat. Wide open due a 180 and you better hang on cause she is going turn like its a rails. Fast for a hull that weighs as much as your rangers and stratos etc hulls. Storage that you can put a tackle store in. Fit and finish is top notch,comparable to some of your custom boats. A warranty that is one of the best. Yes they are a bit pricey but if you are in the market for a boat that will last a lifetime,take it easy on your body and run with some of the faster rigs you cant beat a champion.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 10:36 AM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you don't know what you're missing till you own a GAMBLER!
ride,speed,stability,fishability....it's all there...and they look awesome.i would never own anything else.
eat your heart out!!!lmao!

Old 01-12-06, 07:21 PM   #13
zooker

nice red x tommy

remember regaurdless of who makes it. a boat is only as good as the guy drivin it...

zooker
Old 01-13-06, 07:03 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Crap forgot to talke bout them gamblers. Sorry Buddy.

ZOOK
Excellant point. You can have the best and have it all screwed up by a inexperienced driver.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 11:43 AM   #15
bassnman30

The only problem with Gamblers is that the front deck is much, I mean much bigger than the back. Granted it's great if both partners are up front. As far as speed goes, these boats can go fast.
Champion's are good boats and also will go fast, but as far as the comfort in the ride goes, it's not that much better than other glass boats. At least from what "I've" found.
Old 01-13-06, 05:11 PM   #16
zooker

laser
i can vouch for bassnman spending time in a champion.

gamblers are a good boat but like many other speed designed hulls ride rough...sorry tommy i have been in a gambler.bout the same as a bullet.

zooker
Old 01-13-06, 08:03 PM   #17
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

it's my boat...don't really care if the non-boater has to stand on top of the motor.when he buys his own boat then he can be up front....lol
nobody has ever complained(to me anyway)about not enough room in the back....guess they just know i'd tell them to walk then...lmao!
Old 01-13-06, 08:24 PM   #18
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm trying to figure out which company comes out best here. Champion, huh, if you got the money?
Old 01-13-06, 10:40 PM   #19
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've ridden in the Ranger's (my least favorite ride) tied with chargers for that. stratos/triton (essentially the same boat). nitros (2nd' least favorite, and scariest they can get squirly) Champions oh yeah Procraft (pre johnny morris, and now they are the same as a nitro). and Astro(same as Procraft before johnny morris bought procraft after brunswick discontinued the Astro's. Brunswick built both the Procraft and Astro's) By far the best ride (which is why I bought it) was the Procraft. 18'6" with merc 150 (blackmax) and actually before I dinged the prop. could run 70-72. got the prop rebuilt and properly sized for the rig and by gps hit 74. Not bad for a heavy boat. It could get a little squirly too though. I would go with champion, procraft (before 2000) or a stratos/triton. If you want to buy a post 2k Procraft you might as well look at nitros too and get whichever is cheapest.
I whole heartedly disagree with most of the Post here about "rangers" being a smooth ride though, they've beat me to death to the point I really would rather not have gone fishing, and the quality I don't think is what is was in the '80's. Procraft and Nitro used to be the least expensive boats untill johnny morris bought Procraft. Surprised to see stratos is cheaper now. I paid $16,500 for my boat back in '95 back then it was damn near $5,000.00 less than everyone else and it is a DC.
My boat sit's higher in the water than nearly any other glass bass boat I've ever been in and is as stable too. I can rock it side to side hard and it settles before it comes back to the side I was on when I stopped rocking it. These were built for begginer boaters so they to tend to be safer in rough water as well. I could go out in 30 to 40 mph winds where only 20 foot boats and bigger were, and stay drier than most of the other guys out there. It was like that on Grand lake in Oklahoma in spring of '96 and they were looking at me like I was nutzz. But I never took one over the bow. I've been in less severe conditions on Truman in a 20 foot Triton (single console as a non-boater), and litteraly damn near got washed out of the boat. That was scarey. After that I decided I will never get rid of my boat...even if it cost me 20grand to get it running and in good condition. It is in good condition other than the carpet, pumps, hoses, and the fact that I lost my keys to the storage compartments. It will take about $5,000 to get it in excellent running and fishing shape. including new trolling motor and new custom fitted stainless steel prop. Well maybe $7,000 grand but then it will be like Brand new and still have less in it financially then most boats in it's class. Just need to get a truck first. Sorry for ramblin'

Last edited by basstech; 01-13-06 at 11:04 PM.
basstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 01:27 AM   #20
bass kicker

i like my 16 .6 ft aluminium boat it aint the fastest but it is stable for fishing i willeventually get a bigger boat but while i am in high school and live with my parents it will have to do
Old 01-18-06, 10:28 PM   #21
flippin4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

any ranger has the best ride
flippin4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 12:56 AM   #22
Unregistered

Skeeter TZX 190 brand new around 23,000 dual console and loaded.
Old 01-19-06, 06:10 AM   #23
zooker

skeeter's have zero leg room in the cockpit..

zooker
Old 01-29-06, 09:03 AM   #24
lbass42
BassFishin.Com Member

try a Hawk or a Legend dry and soft a lot of stabilty
lbass42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 06:33 PM   #25
bassnman30

As it is sayed, Once you go Ranger, you never go back.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.