Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 10-06-09, 02:21 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finger Lakes - Cayuga ... Anyone

Anyone out there fishing Cayuga lake?
Old 10-10-09, 01:10 PM   #2
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default cayuga

I have but not this year, what are you looking for? bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 10:16 AM   #3
Abbeysdad

Cayuga is a larger lake and I've been out several times and with the exception of a couple of jumbo sunfish (dinner plate size!) I haven't caught much of nothing. I was hoping to find someone that knows the lake and might offer some tips on the migration and/or spots likely to produce fish.
Old 10-12-09, 10:29 AM   #4
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default cayuga

I sent you a P/M. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 09:00 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

Well so far, over 50 views on nybass.com with 1 'joke' response.
Old 10-16-09, 03:52 PM   #6
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I gave up of nybass.com for that exact same reason, I am a New Yorker and do not contribute there any more.

Now as for your question, fished Cayuga earlier this Summer with marginal results. Over the years smallmouth bass are in the south end while largemouths seem to be in the shallow weed flats of the northern end. With the largemouths generally running larger then the smallmouths I concentrate on the upper end. Skipping a soft stick bait under boat docks does produce, marinas, if they allow you in, produce some nice fish pitching baits around the docks and under the boats, willow trees that are in or hanging over the water hold fish as well, but the majority of fish will be in the weeds. It takes a lot of time and effort to find them. Work a rattletrap type bait over the tops of the weeds and if you catch one, mark the spot and go back with a texas rigged worm or jig. Deep diving crankbaits on the outside edges of the weeds produce some big ones when you finally find them. Look for weed points and fish them slow. There are several islands and many rocky points that will hold fish as well. There are a lot of old cribs and docks under the water along the shore lines. You will need a good map and a GPS mapping unit to work these areas properly. I had my best luck last trip down in shallow water cover using a 1/4 oz jig and a zoom chuck as the trailer
Old 10-19-09, 10:12 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Thanks Baron - I've been out on Cayuga a few times now and only twice has my fishfinder "delivered" several fish, both times by the Millikin power station. I'm not sure how effective it is in the really deep water. I put in near the south end at Meyers and haven't gotten way up north yet.

I must confess that as much as I like catching scrappy bass, I wouldn't mind hooking a large lake trout or salmon. (I was watching 'Hooked' on the discovery channel and have no desire to hook/catch a several hundred pound fish....but you know the thrill of catchin a biggun....like the one in yer avitar). Anyway, so far, I have only caught a couple of giant (dinner plate size) sunfish outta this 'pond' and this is just not acceptable!
Old 10-19-09, 11:58 AM   #8
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually I meant to accurately find underwater structure you would need a good map and a mapping GPS. Other then really deep water dropshotting I rarely depend on the depth sounder to find fish. I primarily use the depth sounder to locate and to be able to stay on what ever structure or cover I might be fishing. It will show balls of bait fish even in shallow water which is not a bad thing either.
Old 10-19-09, 02:36 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

Well my sonar is a 2002 Lowrance 29. It's okay for depth and does show suspended objects as fish, but I'm not certain that I'm seeing the best bottom contour and structures. Then again, it's all part of the learning curve and I'm not so certain I have all the settings set to optimize performance (I just got my first boat back in June so there's been a lot of learnin the last few months!)
Old 11-20-09, 03:58 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

Just for the record, I'm convinced that there are no catchable fish in all 38 miles of Cayuga lake.... oh you hear stories about fish being caught and once I saw a couple of fellas sneaking a cooler from boat to car and acting all weird and stuff....
But my personal experience is that any sonar echo is merely phantom echos and there are just no fish in there except maybe fer the two giant sunfish I caught that one day!
Other than that, they just aren't there!

lol
Old 11-20-09, 08:14 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

only thing i caught of there was trout a LONG time ago.. sorry abby

zooker
Old 11-21-09, 11:02 PM   #12
Abbeysdad

I'm thinking still the fish heard I got a boat and swam off scared!
Old 12-12-09, 08:24 AM   #13
pig n jig

Where are you putting in at ? Deans Cove area ? Cayuga has some nice bass but sometimes difficult to catch.I have 2 go to lures for ayuga.An old Heddon dying flutter worked slowly over the grassy flats and a spinnerbait.All chartruese ,blades and all.I like a 3/4 oz.cast around big primary points and docks are a good place to start.Sorry I am so late in response.I haven't visited here at the site in a while.Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 12:09 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

I put in at Meyers Park in Lansing. Still getting to know the lake. Have seen a lot of fish around Miliken where the power plant is (Have heard this is a real hot spot in the spring due to the warm water the plant expels. Also have 'seen' a lot of fish on the south end and in the river.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.