Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 05-10-10, 01:42 AM   #1
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Curious about ponds.

Howdy all,

I've read quite a few posts of guys fishing ponds. I recently read a post about a 1/2 acre pond. I'm way up in the U.P. of Michigan and there aren't any ponds that I'm familiar with other than private ponds on peoples property. Are public ponds common in other parts of the country or are the majority private ponds that are stocked? Just a curiosity question. Thank you.
catch2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 12:07 PM   #2
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

I wouldnt say public ponds are common around Rochester but if you look around you will find some. There are a lot of private ponds too.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:11 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got literally dozens of public ponds with in 20 minutes of me here in Dallas. Some of then are city parks and some are in neighborhoods. The majority have bass in them. I am very fortunate to have so many bank fishing spots close to me.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 05:27 PM   #4
Jim80

We have a lot of them around us to choose from as well

jim
Old 05-10-10, 05:35 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Around here about half and half! The one I fish the right now most is public, but the one that you read about, is not - Ya gotta sneak in!

If ya wanna get some really good fishing, than yer most likely gonna have to check the private ponds out! Get permission if you can, other wise, be care full!
Old 05-10-10, 10:27 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

About all the ponds around here are private on farm land. Any public ponds that I know of are pretty much a joke. There are a couple I've seen that look good but keep out signs are posted all over them.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 12:17 PM   #7
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bet on the UP of Michigan, most of the small ponds don't hold many fish on account of the long winter. Just not enough oxygen in there when the water freezes real thick and all the vegetation dies. I know it's that way in Western Minnesota. Tons of ponds, but all except the deepest ones are fishless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
About all the ponds around here are private on farm land. Any public ponds that I know of are pretty much a joke. There are a couple I've seen that look good but keep out signs are posted all over them.
Yeah, it's the same over here. There are lots of private farm ponds (that never get fished ), but very few public ones. The public ones get fished so hard it's kinda ridiculous. The handful of private ponds I've been allowed to fish were amazing. It wasn't the most challenging fishing, but boy was it fun!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 04:28 PM   #8
Cavs1123

yes there are quite a few public pinds around my area and almost all private ponds are stocked with some kind of fish.
Old 05-13-10, 12:13 AM   #9
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the input fellas I now get the picture. There aren't any public ponds that I'm aware of in my county. Tons of lakes, but no ponds. I know there are private ponds, but as Bryan said they typically don't hold fish because of our winters.
catch2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:05 PM   #10
nitromike
BassFishin.Com Member

The flint hills in Kansas are awesome to fish, it is definitly better than any of our lakes.
But very hard to get permision to fish them.
nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:17 AM   #11
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In the greater Jacksonville area there are hundreds of ponds open to the public, as well a small lakes. I mostly fish the ones right around my house. I stray further afield to the river and creeks when I want something different, but pond bass are nothing to laugh at. they get nice and big in the ponds here.

Old 09-07-11, 11:53 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Hey Catch your state DNR should have a website with a list of public ponds. Most/many will be managed (fertilized/open-closed days/size and #limits etc.) Many of the private ponds can be fished if you are lucky/prepared and have done your homework. I've had good results with this approach....Go to google maps and "fly" over some good looking ponds and note what county they are in. Next go online to that countys GIS map, this will tell you who owns that property-name-address etc. It can be easy as going to yhe owners house and asking if he needs any free help of any kind...mowing/aquatic vegetation control/FISH MANAGEMENT!!. of course it can get a little more detailed than a short post can contain...PM me if you'd like specifics.
PS don't overlook golf course ponds and the small impoundments most cities use for drinking water.
Old 09-08-11, 12:59 AM   #13
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

For some reason land owners around these parts don't play if they post their property.

Especially if it's posted " Enter at own risk ".

I admit I fished looking over my back when I was younger and I got caught, more like a blitz attack. The first thing the land owner did when he jumped out of his truck was start shooting at my spook floating in the water ( with a high powered rifle ). He was shaking more than me and I was scared to death. I didn't know what was gonna happen next ?

His sons pulled up about the same time, one with pistol drawn and wanted to know if I could read. I told him yeah.

His daddy ( I guess ) then asked me could I hear, I told him yes sir. He then told me I had 1 minute to get the *^@% off his land.

I don't think it took me that long.

Now when some old fishing buddies or family members suggest we should try fishing a posted body of water, I don't tell them this story, I just tell them " I'm good " but thanks and be careful !

I highly suggest getting permission, you'll have a lot more fun.

PS Tip, when going to ask for permission, it doesn't hurt to have a weed eater hanging out in sight, land owners hate that part of taking care of the banks.

Good luck and be careful, you find a Honey Hole.
Old 09-08-11, 05:48 AM   #14
kennethdaysale

+1 on Henke's trespassing post. When I was a kid and roaming the woods and waters of the deep south, sneaking around to catch a fish or bag some birds was just part of it. I was neither proud or ashamed. Fast forward a few years and I now see the truth, poaching is not much better than rape.
Old 09-15-11, 03:06 PM   #15
Dogmatic

A good mix of ponds 'round here, public/private. A lot of public ponds around here are "youth fishing" projects, meaning you can't fish if you're older than 16, but my girls can, and they always need help fishing. I have several private ponds, and a couple public ones that are always go to spots when catching "nice" fish is a priority. Couple semi-private ponds, that you can bushwack to, but fishing is tough, because they are not maintained...@kennethdaysale..."poaching is not much better than rape." Really?! You might want to ask your wife, daughter, sister, or mother what they think about that.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 04:11 PM   #16
screwballl

There are plenty of ponds throughout the southeastern US... if they appear to be public, make sure they are public... otherwise get permission.

There are a few my father in law got permission to fish that I am hoping he tells me since they are PACKED with bass and bluegill, so I can go yank a few dozen out. Owners wants fishermen to keep any fish of any kind 8-12", toss everything else back.

I fish a local military pond (2-3 acres, and yes I have the needed permits) and my last trip (Fri Sept. 16th) I pulled out a few dozen small bluegill, and 4 of them that were 11-13". That is a fairly typical trip to this location. Unfortunately their regulations state you can only keep panfish over 8" and bass over 24" (yet half the time people don't even follow the rules).
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 04:43 PM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
..@kennethdaysale..."poaching is not much better than rape." Really?! You might want to ask your wife, daughter, sister, or mother what they think about that.
I did...and they all hate poaching but.....as far as hateful things go, they all hated rape considerably more...I stand humbly corrected.
Old 09-24-11, 05:44 PM   #18
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfeverjohn View Post
in the greater jacksonville area there are hundreds of ponds open to the public, as well a small lakes. I mostly fish the ones right around my house. I stray further afield to the river and creeks when i want something different, but pond bass are nothing to laugh at. They get nice and big in the ponds here.

it's all about scale.... That bass johns holding in the first pic actually weighs 17 lbs!!!!!
Old 09-25-11, 08:11 PM   #19
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I did...and they all hate poaching but.....as far as hateful things go, they all hated rape considerably more...I stand humbly corrected.
I hate poaching too!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 01:42 PM   #20
gonefishin3

What happens when you get caught fishing a private pond?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 06:12 PM   #21
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
What happens when you get caught fishing a private pond?
well there are a whole host of possibilities. You might be asked to leave and not come back. You might meet a local Conservation Officer or Sheriffs Deputy and be placed under arrest for trespassing. You might be invited by the owner to come on up to his house to meet his daughter and eat supper with them, afterward he might ask you lots of questions about exactly how to work those weightless senkos he saw you fishing with. Whos knows? You might be shot in the head with high powered rifle or simply have your rear end dusted with #9's....getting caught is like a box of choc.
Old 09-26-11, 07:39 PM   #22
gonefishin3

I do like chocolate....
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.