Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 03-04-10, 10:28 PM   #1
Fish-On
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lake Ouachita- Arkansas.

I'm curious if anyone has been fishing Big O lately?

I fished it last Sunday and the surface temp was 45 and we caught couple of fish; 6.5, 4.5, and two 4.0 pounds all blacks, and two stripers. We worked our butt's off from six in the morning till four pm. All our fish were caught on the northwest end of the lake in grass lines from 12 foot to 20 foot. All fish were caught on crankbaits and some drop-shot trick worms. Winds were 10mph +

I went out for a few hours this evening (two hours), and i couldn't even provoke a bit. Water temp was 54, and very light breeze.

I haven't fished much out west, has anyone else? I've fished a bit up north during spawn, and it's been pretty good. I was thinking about taking a boat ride out west tomorrow. Anyone have any recommendations out that way, or any reports. I'm just fishing for a little fun on my off time, nothing serious.

Thks,

Fish-On
Fish-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 05:44 PM   #2
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've yet to get on Ouachita, but hope to one day. I don't have a boat so I only get to fish larger bodies of water when someone takes me....and that doesn't happen often enough....lol. I was reading the Arkansas fish and game fishing report yesterday and they reported about what you said about catching bass around the grass on the northwest end of the lake, but they mentioned the stripers were being caught elsewhere on the lake.

The thermometer on my back porch shows 70 today and it sure makes me want to wet a hook....lol Keep us posted on how you do....Not alot of folks here post much about fishing on Ouachita, so I for one would enjoy hearing how yer doin.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 04:17 PM   #3
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Some firefighters went Wednesday with a cold north wind and did not do to good. Another couple guys went last week end fishing the north side and caught theirs in 4 foot of water swimming a worm very slow.

Welcome to the site Fish-on

They are a few other arkies on here. Doc, lowrider, montlunkerhunter are SE where I am headed with the big girls doing their thing. 1fastlaser is out of crosset and must be quite the marine mechanic.

I am headed over to Ouachita the second week of April to fish and turkey hunt. Keep me posted (if you don't hunt) to the music in the MTNS if you will.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 03-07-10 at 01:13 AM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 08:25 PM   #4
Fish-On
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I've yet to get on Ouachita, but hope to one day. I don't have a boat so I only get to fish larger bodies of water when someone takes me....and that doesn't happen often enough....lol. I was reading the Arkansas fish and game fishing report yesterday and they reported about what you said about catching bass around the grass on the northwest end of the lake, but they mentioned the stripers were being caught elsewhere on the lake.

The thermometer on my back porch shows 70 today and it sure makes me want to wet a hook....lol Keep us posted on how you do....Not alot of folks here post much about fishing on Ouachita, so I for one would enjoy hearing how yer doin.
I'm usually fishing every weekend, and a bit during the week when i'm not oversea's. If you'd like to jump in my boat one weekend your welcome, just drop me a pm.

Did really well today, lot's of fish. The bite was really hard this morning from six until seven thirty. Wind was good this morning out of the southeast for an hour, then it settled down quite a bit around eight. Water temp was around fifty. I'll be looking to move more north bound on the lake as the spawn comes in..

Fish-On
Old 03-06-10, 08:34 PM   #5
Fish-On
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
Some firefighters went Wednesday with a cold north wind and did not do to good. Another couple guys went last week end fishing the north side and caught thiers in 4 foot of water swimming a worm very slow.

Welcome to the site Fish-on

They are a few other arkies on here. Doc, lowrider, montlunkerhunter are SE where I am headed with the big girls doing their thing. 1fastlaser is out of crosset and must be quite the marine mechanic.

I am headed over to Ouachita the second week of April to fish and turkey hunt. Keep me posted (if you don't hunt) to the music in the MTNS if you will.
That's a nice fish there Tall! Thanks for the welcome.

Ouachita; Is one of the best lakes to fish. There's a ton of fishable options. I've been working this lake very hard over the past year and i've learned alot, but it can be hot and cold fishing wise.

I heard several turkeys this morning out to the northeast of Mountain Harbor on the north end. I dropped one of my good buddies on island last year in the same spot, and he brought a nice bird out. I've seen alot of the turkey's flying around to various islands out there during season. I'll keep an eye on them for ya.

Fish-On
Old 03-07-10, 01:17 AM   #6
Tall

That one was 8.64 caught at Lake Monticello. I hope to beat that in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-13-10, 01:27 AM   #7
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys. I'm a new member to the site but been reading the forums for over a year. I haven't been out to Ouachita yet this year but hear they are getting going out there now. I've been fishing Degray a lot with pretty good success so haven't really wanted wanted to mess up a good thing!! That is a nice one Tall!! I've been wanting to get to Monticello for awhile. My uncle said he's pulled a couple wall hangers out of there too. What area have you been concentrating on Ouachita Fish On?
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 03:14 PM   #8
Tall

We will fish the middle-north side. One of the firefighters I work with has a lot at Avant and will pull his camping rig over there.

I will fish a turney on Degray Saturday, Maybe the cold spell will not move them deep.

Monticello has bass shallow and deep now, well as of Wednesday. You can read the details on the boat set up forum under 2000 opti max will not flow water.
Old 03-13-10, 03:20 PM   #9
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya I love that area up there. My mother lives up around Buckville so I always bring my gear when I go for a visit!! I'm going back to Degray in the morning. I'll let you know if they move back down.
Old 03-15-10, 12:35 AM   #10
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

They definitely went back deep again. lol. We caught two in the shallows early and not another bite. Should of went deep but with the two this morning assumed the bite would eventually turn on shallow. Guessed wrong. lol
Old 03-15-10, 07:38 AM   #11
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow look at all the guys from Arkansas!! I'll gladly trade a "guided" trip to monicello for one to ouachita. Tall, that doesn't count for you cause you already know where THE beaver hut is!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:57 PM   #12
Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Wow look at all the guys from Arkansas!! I'll gladly trade a "guided" trip to monicello for one to ouachita. Tall, that doesn't count for you cause you already know where THE beaver hut is!

Good thing their is more then one. I would hate to just put an X at the place and say go get her. I am headed down tomorrow. Just to tired working a 48 hour shift with several alarms last night.

I just sold one of my 14 foot boats so I am free now from waiting around. I think I will try the sea nymph I just bought to fix up for Duck hunting, well I actually just traded around boats for it. It may work pretty good for pond fishing. I think I will try the club pond this afternoon and see how the 25 Yamaha pushes it.

We will get together sometime on Ouachita. Sounds like Fish on is the man for Ouachita. I fish for fun mostly to de-stress. When I am in a turney, I feel like I am at work with a mission. So I don't fish to many. I just like to set in the boat and enjoy GOD's great outdoors he has created. A big pig is nice every now and then though.
Old 03-17-10, 07:43 PM   #13
Tall

Water cooled at Monticello and they were slow to react. It went from 63.5 last Wednesday to 51-52 yesterday with the cold nights.

I got the big girl to come out of the Beaver Hut and follow my bait but it never picked it up. It nosed it but that was it.

I watched a couple guys try to land a 9 pounder for a couple hours. He caught it Sunday and he had an older gentleman with him and was trying to get him hooked up but she still has a sore jaw.

I got it to look at my lizard but to windy to really see what was going on so I left her for another day maybe.
Old 03-23-10, 04:47 PM   #14
Tall

I thought I was going to get big bass in the Tourney Saturday at 5.90 but a 6.04 got me. Oh well, off to Monticello I think tomorrow.
Old 03-29-10, 11:40 PM   #15
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Was that on degray?
Old 03-30-10, 12:37 AM   #16
Tall

Yes, I looked up the winning big fish on Get5bass.com and it was 6.24 I think the other day. Pretty good size for Degray.
Old 03-31-10, 12:04 PM   #17
doninlouisiana
BassFishin.Com Member

A friend of mine fished Lake Monticello several times last year and caught quite a few
huge bass in that lake. (At least 4 over 10 + lbs.) I wrote the Chamber of Commerce and got a map(Didn't see Monticello listed on my Navionics chip) hoping to give it a try in the very near future. Looks like about 85 miles from here in Monroe, La, any advice would sure be appreciated.

Oh and hello to everyone, you have a great site here!

Don
doninlouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 09:57 PM   #18
Tall

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like you are about as close as me. It takes me about 1:15 to 1:25 minutes to get down there.

It sounds like your friend knows the lake are at least how to fish it a lot better then me. I watched a #6 get caught yesterday afternoon. They have not (for the most part) still not moved up. I needed a seat belt yesterday to stay in the boat, so seeing was not good for me. Water still below 60 for most of the day, but this warm trend and full moon may have them in the right mood.

Where to go, just look where all the boats are setting. You can get a pattern just by seeing the depths they are. My eyes are not the best and I floated right over a 9.5 pound on a bed a week or so ago. I had a boat almost look like it was going to a fire and stopped about 30 yards from me. I guess he thought I may move to it but I had business of my own at the beaver hut I was at.

He had caught it three days before and it was 9.5 then and had an older gentleman in the boat he was trying to get to catch it and was fine with me. I tried after they left and almost snagged it, (Joking) that was as close I was going to get to catch it. She still had a sore Jaw.

Lowrance Hot Spot South Pro I think mine is called has the ponds within the Lake and old roads and contour etc. on it. Go to lowrance.com and look for the south map chip icon, and look under Arkansas. All the lakes will be listed there. It is not an enhanced lake I don't think, but it shows a lot of ponds, creek channels and roads etc.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-10, 01:09 AM   #19
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya. That is a pretty nice one for degray. Most of what we catch there is in the 3-4 range, with an occasional nice one. I've been having a tough time finding them lately although. I think it's just me cause my uncles been catching his limit. Maybe I'll get out of this slump soon. Lol.
Old 04-04-10, 11:20 AM   #20
Tall

Just go to transition areas. Where deep and shallow is close together. Points and humps near deep water or creeks etc.
Old 04-04-10, 11:24 AM   #21
Tall

Fish-on

Them Toms singing up in the trees? I hear they be making music. I have not decided to hunt from the water or drive the north side. I here they will be plenty of boats on the water with an ear for a gobble.
Old 04-08-10, 06:22 PM   #22
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Tall. Been fishing Hamilton just cause its been much warmer. Been getting on them early. Prolly going back to degray this weekend though.
Old 05-06-10, 09:29 PM   #23
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Since we've got a new boat we've decided to head to Ouachita this saturday and see what we can get into....lol I think were gonna put in at the Denby point marina, but I have no idea where we'll head once we do....lol. Any suggestions from you guys that know that end of the lake?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 03:36 PM   #24
Tall

Fish main lake points-may be as good as any. I have not been over in three weeks so I really don't know. Good Luck
Old 04-10-11, 10:48 PM   #25
Tall

Anybody been over to Ouachita in the last few days? I have a Fire Department tourney there Tuesday 4-12-11 and a club tourney 4-23-11.

It has been three weeks since I went over and did really good but that was before all the cold weather.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.