Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 07-17-10, 12:03 PM   #1
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default A Lake Reborn - Newburgh Lake, Livonia, MI

Hey Gang,

I thought I’d take some time to introduce some of you folks to my “home lake”, Newburgh Lake in Livonia, MI. Newburgh lake’s just a few miles from my house, and has been my “go-to” body of water since catching the bass-fishing bug a few weeks back.

I also plan on using this lake as a resource in a lot of upcoming posts, so I figured I’d get this post up for future reference.

Thanks in advance to checking this out,

GP

Introduction to Newburgh Lake

Newburgh Lake is a 105-acre reservoir, located in the Middle Rouge River Watershed in Hines Park, in the western suburbs of Detroit, MI. The lake was contaminated for many years, but underwent a major renovation in the late 1990’s to offer a great community retreat for a number of recreational activities… including fishing!

Newburgh lake is a no-swim lake. In addition, boating is restricted to man-powered craft only – no motors allowed (although I have seen bass-crawlers with small trolling motors out there, I wouldn’t recommend it with a Wayne Country Sheriff’s office sitting in the northeast side of the lake). While this may seem like a PITA, in reality it leaves a vast area of the lake under very light fishing pressure.

Newburgh also houses two fishing piers (one on the northern bank, mid-lake at Newburgh Point, another on the north-eastern edge at Sumac point). In the winter, the lake is swept for ice-skating and ice fishing.

(continued in next post)

Photos Below:

1) Sat View - an overhead view of the lake
2) Newburgh Point Fishing Pier - a look from the pier to the shore in the mid-northern part of the lake.
3) Summer Trees - 3rd-party photo from the northwestern shore to the lake and tree line near the eastern bank.
4) Middle Cove - From the middle fishing pier, looking north into to the cove created by the pennisula.
5) Middle Point - From the middle fishing pier, looking west to the eastern shore of the penninsula.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat View.jpg
Views:	2245
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	5568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newburgh Point Fishing Pier.jpg
Views:	6916
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	5569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer Trees.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	5570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle Cove.jpg
Views:	1633
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	5571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle Point.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	5572  

Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:10 PM   #2
Ground Pounder

History

Newburgh Lake was developed in the 1930’s as part of Henry Ford’s “Village Industries” project on the Rouge River. Ford’s Village Industries were part of a project in which Mr. Ford tried to blend industry, rural life, and ecology. To counteract the migration of rural residents to the city for job in the car plants, Mr. Ford began establishing small water-powered factories on old mill sites, such as the one at Newburgh. With the cooperation of the Wayne Country Road Commission, the mill and damn at Newburgh were rebuilt. In exchange for their assistance Ford deeded Newburgh Lake to the WCRC for inclusion in a park. Recreational activities have been a part of Newburgh Lake’s existence ever since.

By the mid 1990’s, the lake had suffered from over 65 years of sediment accumulation, some contaminated with PCB’s, which over time, degraded the lake water quality. The depth of the lake had shrunk to just under a 4 foot mean. These shallow water depths resulting from the sediment accumulation and nutrient-rich water led to excessive growth of aquatic plants and the presence of organic contaminants such as PCB’s that tend to bio-accumulate, as they pass up through the food chain, resulting in a potential human health hazard.

Restoration

In 1997, the Wayne Country River Rouge National Wet Weather Demonstration Project began construction on the Newburgh Lake Restoration Project. The key goals of the restoration were:

1) Restoration of the water quality
2) Reduction of the human health risk by eliminating the PCB’s and removal of the fish consumption advisory.
3) Restoration of habitat for aquatic life and wildlife.
4) Increased recreational use of canoeing/boating and fishing
5) Improved public perception of Newburgh Lake as a resource for both recreation and education.

The first phase of the restoration was the draining of the lake and removal of over 550,000 tons of sediment from the lake bottom. Construction activities began in early winter of 1997 with the erection of a coffer damn at the eastern damn structure, which was used to slowly drain the lake at a rate of 3 feet every 3 days. The lake was lowered until only a 3-acre pool remained. In April of 1997, excavation activities began to remove the sediment and reconstruct the lake bed.

The re-construction of the lake resulted in:

1) Repairing the level controls to the damn structure on the north-eastern bank.
2) Removal and disposal of more than 550,000 tons of contaminated sediments.
3) Deepened the lake to a minimm of 8 feet, except where shoals were constructed.
4) Established 10 acres of aquatic vegetation on the shoals.
5) Established 7 acres of fish spawning beds and habitat structures throughout the lake bottom.
6) Provided new boat ramp and docks.
7) Cleared areas of park for more recreational use.

(Continued in post below)

Photos:

1) Conceptual design resulting bathymetry, including elevation and water-depth of the lake, courtesy of the ECT design technical documents.
2) Spawning bed material inspection
3) "Fish Mogul" habitats constructed
4) Structural habitats built for fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conceptual Design Resulting Bathymetry 1.jpg
Views:	4705
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	5573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spawning bed material.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	5574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish Moguls.jpg
Views:	2401
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	5575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Structural Habitat.jpg
Views:	2052
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	5576  
Old 07-17-10, 12:16 PM   #3
Ground Pounder

Fishery

In addition to the construction activities, two fish kills took place to remove all of the contaminated and rough fish from the Newburgh and Nankin Lakes (to the south), and the 5 miles of river upstream and in between the two lakes. A total of approx. 30,000 pounds of fish were removed from the lake: 78 percent of this weight was represented by carp, goldfish, and their hybrids.

During the reconstruction phase, 10 acres of aquatic planting shoals were constructed. After the shoals were completed, fish habitat structures consisting of defective new whole sewer pip and rip rap placed in piles at “discreet” locations were constructed, along with “fish moguls” (areas of uneven contours). To further provide for greater fishing habitat, spawning beds were constructed using a stone and sand mix and spread in areas throughout the lake. In total, 7 acres spawning beds and habitat structures were constructed.

Beginning in 1998, the Michigan DNR began a restocking program game and forage fish in Newburgh Lake. The following is a listing of their restocking efforts to date:

Fathead Minnows – 200,000 fish, avg. length of 2”
Hybrid Sunfish – 10,000 fish, avg. length of 3”
Channel Catfish – 3,000 fish, avg. length of 8”
Largemouth Bass – 4,000 fish, avg. length of 3.5”
Largemouth Bass – 50 fish, avg. length of 6.5”
Pumpkinseed – 100 fish, avg. length of 6.5”
Walleye – 1,000 fish, avg. length of 7”
Bluegill – 120 fish, avg. length of 5.6”

Hybrid Sunfish – 10,100 fish, avg. length of 3”
Largemouth Bass – 4,050 fish, avg. length of 3.5”
Channel Catfish – 3,000 fish, avg. length of 9”
Fathead Minnow – 100,000 fish, avg. length of 2”
Black Crappie – 300 fish, avg. length of 6”
Northern Pike – 3,000 fish, avg. length of 2”
Walleye – 8,950 fish, avg. length of 2.5”
Northern Pike – 2,270 fish, avg. length of 4”
Pumpkinseed – 1,050 fish, avg. length of 7”
Bluegill – 1,600 fish, avg. length of 6”

Northern Pike – 2,700 fish, avg. length of 5”
Walleye – 9,300 fish, avg. length of 2”
Channel Catfish – 1,500 fish, avg. length of 8.5”

Walleye – 8,600 fish, avg. length of 2.5”

Channel Catfish – 1,000 fish, avg length of 8”

Walleye – 11,000 fish, avg. length of 2”

Walleye – 14,000 fish, avg. length of 2”

Channel Catfish – 1,500 fish, avg. length of 8”

(Continued in post below)

Photos:

1) Catfish stocking in fall of 1998
2) Fathead Minnows stocking in fall of 1998
3) Bluegill schooling near the fishing docks, summer 2010
4) A nearby fisherman's bluegill stringer on the north-eastern bank, summer 2010 - this was after 3 hours of fishing at 3pm, and he said he'd thrown about 40 fish back that were too small.
5) 3rd party photo of a local young-fisherman's nice largemouth (date unknown)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Catfish Stocking.jpg
Views:	1716
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fathead Minnows Stocking.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluegill Schooling.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	5579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluegill Stringer.jpg
Views:	1961
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	5580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jakob_Morningstar_Newburg_Lake_Livonia_MI_catch_and_release.jpg
Views:	1683
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5581  

Old 07-17-10, 12:22 PM   #4
Ground Pounder

Personal Observations

Fishing Pressure - Newburgh is under a constant barrage of recreational fishing, particularly on the weekends where the two fishing docks can get shoulder-to-shoulder. Luckily, the majority of this activity is on the northern shore, in the middle section and north-eastern sections of the lake. The tight restrictions on boating also lead to much of the western and southern portions of the lake being very lightly fished.

Forage – Wildlife and forage is abundant on this lake, thanks to the restocking projects by the Michigan DNR. It is common to see bluegill and minnows pooling in the hundreds near the surface near the fishing docks. Also, near the large peninsula point on the middle-northern section, the shallow water and marshy terrain is home to all sorts of critters, including frogs, toads, rats, raccoons, turtles, crawfish, and the like. The lake is also home to various types of water foul, including ducks, geese, swans, cranes, and gulls.

Cover – Lily pads, cattails and sea grass abound near the shore! Exactly as you would expect on a restored lake, the landscape of the lake bottom is very calculated, and vegetation goes from think as pea soup to sandy gravel in an instant. The surrounding areas are kept very clean by the DNR and park commission. Also, as an east-to-west running lake with much of the tree cover coming from the north and south banks, it’s very easy to pinpoint areas of heavy-shaded ambush points.

Miscellaneous – The Wayne Country Parks & Rec dept. and Wayne County Sheriff’s office take great price, and go to great lengths, to keep the lake and park in tip-top shape. Being within close proximity of both offices, there is very little riff-raff and the folks you meet for the most part are very well behaved and considerate. They are within reason, though, and won’t trouble you too much if you have a 6-pack on ice and you’re just enjoying a day in the sun, but excessive partying or nonsense is greatly frowned upon. It’s been a great place to take my seven-year-old sun for some light pan-fishing and a stroll down the bike trail, checking out the critters who make the lake their home. And when I want to hit the shores for some early morning or late night fishing, it’s easy enough to find a quiet place to drop in a line and enjoy the scenery.

Well folks, that’s it for now. Hope you enjoyed the write-up, and if you get a chance, take a cruise over and check out the new Newburgh. I plan on it being my home-body of water for many years to come.

GP

Photos:

These are some fly-by photos of the lake, provided by Bing Maps, moving west to east.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sec 1 Photo - NE.jpg
Views:	1753
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	5582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sec 2 Photo.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	5583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sec 3 Photo.jpg
Views:	1567
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	5584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sec 4 Photo.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	5586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sec 5 Photo.jpg
Views:	4744
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	5587  

Name:	Sec 6 Photo.jpg
Views:	1621
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	5588  
Old 07-17-10, 01:02 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

GREAT write up GP, really enjoyed it! You sure know a lot about that lake, must be fun to fish too knowing it's history and everything.
Old 07-17-10, 01:19 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree, Sammy. This is an excellent write up. GP, thank you for taking the time to do this. Your writing style is easy on the eyes and a pleasure to read. This piece is chock full of useful information and the history of its development is a nice bonus.

Makes me want to get on a plane just to check it out. In my area, one person has done a very similar thing with many of the lakes throughout the state and it is an invalueable resource.
Old 07-17-10, 02:59 PM   #7
bassinbob

Very good information on your lake. Have you tried any parts of the lake that don't recieve much pressure? Wish they would redo some of the lakes I fish. How did the population of walleye and northerns do? I like the structure they made. Those moguls ought to lead to some good fishing.
Old 07-17-10, 03:53 PM   #8
Jrob78

Great write up and pictures! Looks like you have a awesome place there. Hope your new combos serve you well!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 04:01 PM   #9
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Im jealous of the structure they have created
Old 07-17-10, 04:35 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

GP, Very good write up! Sounds like and awesome lake, especially with the man made cover and such. I bet this would be an awesome kayak fishing lake.

BB
Old 07-17-10, 05:09 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
GP, Very good write up! Sounds like and awesome lake, especially with the man made cover and such. I bet this would be an awesome kayak fishing lake.

BB
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Old 07-17-10, 06:26 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Yeah this lake is MADE for a kayak with a fish finder... all those rip rap piles, man made structure, and lily pad cover... you need a kayak man no joke...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 06:57 PM   #13
Ebbetsguy

Great work, I am impressed good read with some interesting back round
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:02 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Great post, Groundpounder.

Man, if I was one of those people who hit the Powerball for 100 mil, this would be one of the things I would love to design and build. My own perfect little lake.
Old 07-18-10, 10:42 AM   #15
Ground Pounder

Thanks for reading guys, glad you enjoyed it. I started putting it together after watching Kevin's "Geospatial Advantage" video, but the more I looked into the history and the restoration, the more interesting it became.

I've only fished the north shore at this point, but plan on spending a good amount of time in the eastern and southern shoreline in the coming months. The vegetation is pretty thick this time of year, and I'm a bit reluctant to go cutting paths or anything. I've been told that the late fall and early spring leaves plenty of clearance to get to those spots before the trees get in full bloom.

As far as the northern and walleye population, I've heard that they have done very well! SE Michigan is walleye-crazy, and the majority of folks spend the warmer months in the waters between Lake Huron and Lake Erie, but some of the locals really like this little body of water for a change of pace. And, I hear that they are the main targets for the ice fisherman in the winter, which is likely the reason for the continued stocking of walleye in the past 5 years. Plenty of keepers have been pulled out, but the population remains solid.

Kayak? I've been really considering it. Either that, or a small 2-man rowboat, just to give me a little flexibility, if I wanted to take my youngin' out with me (he's 7). But it will likely be next year before I get a chance to do it (maybe for Christmas?)

One more thing about the fishery - I spoke with a gentleman from the DNR yesterday who said that, in addition to what they've stocked, there has also been a migration from upstream waters of smallmouth and yellow perch, as well as the expected carp, rock bass, and suckers. Shiners, gizzard shad, and numerous species of sunfish can also be found in the water, typically in early spring.
Old 07-18-10, 10:48 AM   #16
brushhog

GP - great stuff enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to more.

Get that youngster out ASAP, you will never regret it. I coach my children in every sport imaginable and play more backyard sports and board games than you would think possible, but our best times are fishin' times!
Old 07-18-10, 01:31 PM   #17
Jim80

great write up man , it was a history lesson a looks to be a great body of water , I would love to have a place like that within a couple miles of my house .

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 02:29 PM   #18
walkeraviator

If you want a yak, but want flaxibility for takin the kiddo along... look at teh native watercraft ultimate 14.5 tandem... its a two man that can be converted to a solo kayak if you need... and it is a hybrid (half kayak/half canoe) which makes it super stable and has lots of space inside...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:41 AM   #19
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Nicely done GP! That's one interesting and informative write-up right there! Really enjoyed it!
Like everyone else, I'm seriously jealous. Might just hafta haul a yak down there one of these days
Old 07-23-10, 09:46 AM   #20
Ground Pounder

Thanks Mallen, I'm actually heading out tonight to test out the new 'sticks. It's supposed to rain a bit today and tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll have the shores and docks all to myself.
Old 07-23-10, 11:28 PM   #21
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder View Post
Thanks Mallen, I'm actually heading out tonight to test out the new 'sticks. It's supposed to rain a bit today and tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll have the shores and docks all to myself.
Hope those Excelers work out well for you!
Old 08-02-10, 03:32 PM   #22
BassFishingInMi
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow, this looks like a blast! If you ever need some company I will always be here
BassFishingInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 01:42 PM   #23
tim4081

Excellent write up GP.....I enjoyed it alot. Almost makes me want to move back to the Detroit area.....almost but not quite.....good luck and good fishing!!!
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 10:18 PM   #24
jakepriest
BassFishin.Com Member

LOve this lake anyone have any good shore spots for bass and pike?? Might head over there on monday
jakepriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 03:16 PM   #25
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

I live 2.5 miles South so I'm generally out there 4-5 times a week during the regular season.

Actually I'm headed up now but I'm not optimistic because Hines is closed between Jughandle and Haggerty due to a water main break. Parks & Rec said it would probably be closed through the summer so I guess we'll see.

I'm also interested in exploring the South/East shores to see if any gaps in the dense trees allow for casting; there have to be some honey holes out there....

Anyhow if you ever want company, lemme know, I'm less than 5 min away.

-Jeremy
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.