Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 01-16-12, 12:45 AM   #26
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I suppose I can see both sides of this deal, but let's assume Cali and Japan are starting with brood stock of superior genetics (which is anybodys right and priviledge..actually I'd be disapointed if they didn't) the rest is just hyper fisheries management...once again their priviledge. Provide those fish with clean oxygen rich water and LOTS and LOTS of super high protein food and what do you get...........fish like you see pictured above. Are they funny looking? yes Does that somehow make them wrong? no Are their managers cheating? no If I were to win the lottery I promise you I would dive into the hyper management program head first..............

@dogmatic...fair to guess 5 yrs or less..surely they (fisheries mgrs or Japanese F&G) determined if not published age.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 01-16-12 at 05:15 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 09:34 AM   #27
lilmule

Difference being anywhere else its a dnr type of effort,there its a corporate effort,the average japanese cannot afford 1200 bucks to launch a boat or the other lic or upkeep of one,so almost takes a corporate backed angler.
Ive got a koy pond out back would a catch apply to igfa.
More or less a private lake with public access.Sitting in an area with a near perfect growing season,yet non native.To me no world record should be held or taken from waters where its not native other wise its a possibly hand fed fish,raised for just one purpose,possibly even sectioned off a definite controlled situation.And done at corporate level,in Japan there is much more business plannings in most things than here.
And legal to do so there,imagine a private business wanting to import an invasive non native fish species here.Not legal in many states to remove native species from one body of water to another,let alone non native for the sole benefit of a corporation who sells fishing tackle.
Over in chatanooga I hear theres a 21 pder or so in an aquarium,anyone want to go fishing over there.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 12:18 PM   #28
kennethdaysale

@lilmule.....I appreciate your point of view. I don't want to fish in an aquarium, but other than that I just don't have a problem with it. Maybe because it's all hypothetical anyway, if an Asian angler catches a 25 lb bass it won't effect me in the least. Besides I guarentee that there are bodies of water in the U.S. (south and west) that have every ingredient needed to grow the next world record, heck I'm convinced that 25 lb+ bass are out there right now in places where any ordinary guy like you or me can chase um. Let's go get one!
Old 01-16-12, 12:34 PM   #29
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Difference being anywhere else its a dnr type of effort,there its a corporate effort,the average japanese cannot afford 1200 bucks to launch a boat or the other lic or upkeep of one,so almost takes a corporate backed angler.
It cost the equivalent of 30 dollars to launch a boat on lake Biwa.
You can read an interview in the January 2010 Bassmaster Magazine done by James Hall, page 10.
Old 01-16-12, 12:35 PM   #30
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

"Is the method we use for determining who caught the best fish (pure weight) really indicative of catching the best fish?"

Look at deer. If someone shot a deer that was a 6 point, but weighed %50 more than the average 6 point (in other words, a walking tub of lard)...would they be proud? Amused? Brag to friends? Or think they put it out of it's misery, cause it has some sort of problem?

Why do we rate fish on a different standard? Why not length be determinate? Why not fight (I guess its less measurable, but far more memorable for the angler).

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?
Old 01-16-12, 12:49 PM   #31
kennethdaysale

[QUOTE=WTL;367453]Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

"Is the method we use for determining who caught the best fish (pure weight) really indicative of catching the best fish?"

Look at deer. If someone shot a deer that was a 6 point, but weighed %50 more than the average 6 point (in other words, a walking tub of lard)...would they be proud? Amused? Brag to friends? Or think they put it out of it's misery, cause it has some sort of problem?

Why do we rate fish on a different standard? Why not length be determinate? Why not fight (I guess its less measurable, but far more memorable for the angler).

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?[/QUOTE]

I'm laughing too hard to type but here goes......I'm no fan of Morbid obesity in humans or wild animals or domestic livestock. Putting a tub of lard fish out of it's misery stirs up all kind of images in my head. I just don't resist the notion that these fish are simply being allowed (helped) to reach their maximum potential. I used to participate in a hunting forum that had a saying something like " God created a 4 point buck everything else needed a little help" ........I figured this topic would (or should) ellicit strong opinions and I'm not dissapointed.
Old 01-16-12, 01:00 PM   #32
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Is this maximum potential? I don't think so.
Old 01-16-12, 01:07 PM   #33
WTL

Has she reached her maximum potential? Or there something wrong?

------------------------

As compared to....

Which is more maxed out? More valuable? Better?
Old 01-16-12, 01:13 PM   #34
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Is this maximum potential? I don't think so.
No neither do I but just give her 4 or 5 more years and you can stick a fork in her ______ she's done...I just saw the pic very clever but there is a difference between well fed and took care of vs Dianaball
Old 01-16-12, 03:54 PM   #35
WaffleJaw

In japan they have kill stations on lakes for bass?..I always heard LM were considered invasive other there.

Why would they engineer them to grow big / abnormally then?
Am I missing something?
Old 01-16-12, 04:09 PM   #36
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe my question should be phrased as this;

Are we allowing dick measuring contests to totally pervert the pursuit of excellence in bass fishing?
Kinda reminds me of the arguement over the striper record recently caught...old record, the guy was fishing from shore, on a rock jetty in a thunderstorm, using crappy equipment, an old plug on 20# test mono. New record caught in a boat, using live bait, and a tuna rod/reel on 80# test? And the southern strain LM is an invasive, non-native species in the waters of CA.

Hmmm, Grace Kelly vs. some freak? Is that really an accurate comparison? Damn, Grace was so hot!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 05:44 PM   #37
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post

Hmmm, Grace Kelly vs. some freak? Is that really an accurate comparison? Damn, Grace was so hot!

The freak can bench 400 lbs. Grace Kelly couldn't do that. Ergo, the freak was a superior woman. (or so the analogy goes, if bigger and more muscular is better.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I have been infected with trout fishing ideals, where you admire a 10" wild caught trout for its colors, and place it far above a 3 lb stockie.
Old 01-16-12, 06:00 PM   #38
nofearengineer

I think I've been pretty outspoken on this subject before, but why not revisit it?

These frankenfish SUCK. Tony Toyota can manufacture a record, and there's nothing I can do to stop him, but it'll never be legitimate in my book. To me, part of fishing is exploring his habitat, having to understand his rules and behavior to succeed. This artificial monstrosity is pathetic. They might as well just be raised in an aquarium til they reach 25 pounds, then released into a pond for an aqua-safari.
Old 01-16-12, 06:16 PM   #39
bassboogieman

I just don't get it - the Japanesse people are so small and skinny, but their bass are big and fat. How do dat happen?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 07:15 PM   #40
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I just don't get it - the Japanesse people are so small and skinny, but their bass are big and fat. How do dat happen?
Sure you do.....didn't you ever notice that most of the guys that have the BBW fetish are little guys?

Besides its like Healy said in Something about Mary...its a Sumo culture they pay by the pound. *this is a quote and not meant to offend vegas spider* or anyone else
Attached Images

Old 01-16-12, 07:33 PM   #41
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
The freak can bench 400 lbs. Grace Kelly couldn't do that. Ergo, the freak was a superior woman. (or so the analogy goes, if bigger and more muscular is better.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I have been infected with trout fishing ideals, where you admire a 10" wild caught trout for its colors, and place it far above a 3 lb stockie.
Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a USGFA, because of all the reasons people have talked about, but that bass from Japan is no different from that bass in CA.

And Grace Kelly can(could have) get some 350 lb guy to bench 400 lbs for her, where the "freak" couldn't get a guy to open a coke for her...who is the more powerful woman?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 12:42 AM   #42
lilmule

In one respect have to agree its a non native species to california and fed 10 in trout,with a long growing season,more suited for its growth than where it is naturally found.
No record should be held for a fish out of its native range,a different non native record for that but not the world record.
As for a difference between a cali fish and a jap one ,cali is a once removed cousin and the jap twice removed as another continent.
Italy now has largemouth bass as well as africa,brazil brought in spotted bass.Bet they will grow large teeth.
If this seems extreme at least a dna test,and one for radiation,steroids etc.
Crossed with a nile perch would be around 30 lbs or more.
In many locales it takes a biologist to tell the difference between a white, a hybred and a pure striper,and not by visual exam.In others largemouth have a spotted bass tooth patch,and where this occurs the state wont accept a spot record just because it has one,as lm dna involved as well.
As for what it costs to launch and or boat lic every article written about it has a different figure got mine from one as well,cant help it if they never or seldom get the facts correct and publish.
You can read four different articles about that fish and none of them match.
Try four or five different stories when you get stopped next time,difference is wont fly.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-17-12 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 01:24 AM   #43
WTL

I have no problems with transplants. I think its nice that italian, german, south african, japaneese and californian anglers can fish for bass.

I just think we have so far changed the ecosystems with all these transplants, that I fail to see what is impressive about records, especially those which occur precisely because the bass is introduced into ecosystems where they are by far the apex fish species.

When I see a bass that looks like a weather balloon, its just revolting. Its the same to me as that picture of that woman body builder. Theres a line that shouldn't be crossed, and while I cant quite define it, I think I can draw it when I see it.
Old 01-17-12, 07:18 AM   #44
joedog

It's a Kobie Bass, new strain out of Japan!
They are farm raised in small single fish cages, that the fish has room to float in but not swim around. They have a Concubin that comes in twice a day to massage and hand feed the bass corn. As a right of passage they are released into open water, usually a pond, so when they die thier souls are unincumbered in it's trip to the next life. ( Japanese believe in re-incarnation or Shinto). Do not confuse with Kobie Beef which is actually raised for slaughter and human consumption. Kobie Bass actually pre-dates Kobie Beef but because of not being raised to be eaten most Westerners are unaware of thier existance.
When caught, they by law can be measured but must be immediately released into the water again.

Last edited by joedog; 01-17-12 at 07:32 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 10:11 AM   #45
lilmule

Nice sense of humor
Old 01-17-12, 09:43 PM   #46
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Wasn't your PB over 12???
There bouts yes.
Old 01-18-12, 01:35 PM   #47
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I got to slap a DILLIGAF on this one and proudly say I would pose for a pic and call the taxidermist if I lipped it.
Old 01-18-12, 02:21 PM   #48
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I got to slap a DILLIGAF on this one and proudly say I would pose for a pic and call the taxidermist if I lipped it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	steroid girl.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	7497

Click image for larger version

Name:	big fish.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	7498

Which one you talking about bubba?
DILLIGAF ?
damilovelippingiantassfish
.............................female
Old 01-18-12, 09:29 PM   #49
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

That would be FISH. I am a happily married man.
Old 01-18-12, 10:29 PM   #50
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
These frankenfish SUCK. Tony Toyota can manufacture a record, and there's nothing I can do to stop him, but it'll never be legitimate in my book. .
Boom and this is what it boils down too... personal opinion. Personally, I don't think records should be considered unless they come from a native habitat. Anyone can take any animal and put it into a perfect situation and make it a freak of nature... Hence the Texas sharelunker program.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.