Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 02-12-12, 01:30 PM   #1
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default help with kentucky lake fishing trip

well since i got my new boat ive decided to take my dad on a fishing trip to kentucky lake. the plan is to leave town after work thursday april 5th and come back later on easter sunday (8th). i have absolutely no idea where to stay, where to put my boat in or what it takes legally to fish there as well as boat requirements since im from illinois. any suggestions would be awesome
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 04:12 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

paris landing is good place they have the fishermans in and the boat ramp is right there also paris landing state park has cbins best one to help you out with info is illmule. also so goggle ky dam. pacadua ky. all greta places and have many places to stay ky dam has stste park also with cabins. hope that helps
Old 02-12-12, 05:17 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd also add Moors or Big bear creek are great areas to camp or rent condos or cottages, great fishing if the lake is flooded that time of year. Spinnerbaits can be deadly!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 07:20 PM   #4
woody

here's a link to a very informative Kentucky Lake website that we used in preparing for our 2009 Kentucky Lake Trip.

http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com/

I hope you and your dad have a great time!

Post pics when you can.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:18 PM   #5
TN_Bassin

That time of year I wouldn't bother with ledge fishing... find some willow trees and buck brush and flip till you can't flip no more. If I were you I'd stay at the Fishtale lodge, which is about a mile from paris landing, and 20 minutes from Dyers Creek on Barkley. If you like to flip then you're picking a good time of the year to come down... providing we don't get another record flood this year.

http://www.fishtalelodge.com/
Old 02-12-12, 09:33 PM   #6
lilmule

Paris landing tn license can be bought nearby at the gas stations good to the 68 bridge up north,not ledge fishing then lead in lead out banks bandit 200 and rubber and whatever else ya got.Anything will catch fish trick is using something big ones will hit.green pumkin bushog in rubber.
Fishtale lodge,rt 79 Buchanan 731-642-7113-nice
Paris Landing Motel-rt 79-731-642-0217-smaller and cheaper
http://www.freewebs.com/kylaketn/
The only place id consider up north would be moors resort due to its high ramp
Port road ramp nearby paris landing is as well and can launch when lake is off limits up north they do close that section at times when flooded,simply put most of ky lake is in Tn.
Give me a pm ill send contact info for when your here I live 6 min away,dont mind giving away a few community holes.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-12-12 at 09:53 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 12:12 AM   #7
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Paris landing tn license can be bought nearby at the gas stations good to the 68 bridge up north,not ledge fishing then lead in lead out banks bandit 200 and rubber and whatever else ya got.Anything will catch fish trick is using something big ones will hit.green pumkin bushog in rubber.
Fishtale lodge,rt 79 Buchanan 731-642-7113-nice
Paris Landing Motel-rt 79-731-642-0217-smaller and cheaper
http://www.freewebs.com/kylaketn/
The only place id consider up north would be moors resort due to its high ramp
Port road ramp nearby paris landing is as well and can launch when lake is off limits up north they do close that section at times when flooded,simply put most of ky lake is in Tn.
Give me a pm ill send contact info for when your here I live 6 min away,dont mind giving away a few community holes.
great info thanks so much, ill look into that stuff asap. im just hoping the weather gets decent by then! ill send u a pm so we can swap info, nice to know someone that knows their way down there since ive never been.
Old 02-13-12, 09:09 AM   #8
lilmule

Done with reply stock up on green pumpkin bushhogs med size and sweet beavers,you can easily go thru a bag a day.
The rest im sure you have.Fishtale lodge is about 5 min from my house,about three miles,12 buildings,200 deer and 300 turkeys inbetween,sprinkled with an occasional armadillo.You will have many people pass you and wave,no they dont know you,just friendly.
Only lived here 6 years still groping my way around,with 2300 miles of shoreline,and about 2000 of it in Tn one could spend a lifetime here and never see it all.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-13-12 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 01:58 PM   #9
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Done with reply stock up on green pumpkin bushhogs med size and sweet beavers,you can easily go thru a bag a day.
The rest im sure you have.Fishtale lodge is about 5 min from my house,about three miles,12 buildings,200 deer and 300 turkeys inbetween,sprinkled with an occasional armadillo.You will have many people pass you and wave,no they dont know you,just friendly.
Only lived here 6 years still groping my way around,with 2300 miles of shoreline,and about 2000 of it in Tn one could spend a lifetime here and never see it all.
haha got it, im to the point where i need to switch to a tackle bag instead of my box, ill have the boat loaded with lures.. just need to find my 10 lber for my wall haha. looking forward to gettin this trip booked.
Old 02-14-12, 11:11 AM   #10
lilmule

Best be making some reservations,those places get full quick near spawn time.
They will take your card no charges actually made unitl you get here.
Lil Lake motel

fishtale lodge

the two gas stations just across from fishtail one you get gas at as no eth available other eat breakfest

With plenty other places to stay and or eat
Old 02-14-12, 07:36 PM   #11
oglejust

alright im gonna call up fishtale lodge probably tomorrow at lunch, as for my boat am i gonna need a sticker or anything? its registered in illinois. u say i can get an out of state fishing license at the gas station on the day i come? any clue what they cost? i really appreciate all the info

ok found the out of state license costs and required equipment, just need to figure out what i do for a sticker or whatever i need to make it legal

Last edited by oglejust; 02-14-12 at 07:54 PM. Reason: found some info
Old 02-14-12, 08:20 PM   #12
lilmule

No sticker needed,all you need is to be legal license where you live,you paid for that there why should you have to pay again anywhere.Your il numbers are good just make sure you have paperwork(registration) if asked,we dont even lic trailers here.Odds are of you getting stopped are slim and none while on the lake unless youve done something like fly thru the no wake zone in front of the park police etc.Or drop beer cans out of boat while loading it up that does tend to bring their att.
This isnt ky no launch fees,no signs saying cannot pitch to docks etc(ky dam marina and several others do have those).
You get a lic at a gas station not in the pic its closer to the lake,other places available should they be out not 10 min away.
Life here is simple,coming here in ky you see plenty of u turns and signs saying no u turns except emergency vehicles,here they make them to turn left or make a u turn and made for u and everyone.There are no extra or hidden fees.As for the rooms fishtale costs more than say the motel,other motels available just farther away.Also the state park has cabins and I happen to know of a house just over in ky that costs 60 a night,about 5 miles from paris landing.
Its whatever suits yer fancy and or wallet we got it all.
On that website link its all listed under local info,ph numbers etc.By then ill have fishing reports posted,you fill in the blanks,huge 1lb gills 1-2 lb crappie,bass from 10 in to 11 pds with 5 or a 6 common,50 fish per day events but most short of 15 in.All this is somewhat dependent upon mother nature herself.A 10 lb bass is possible but doubt it as Ive gotten one in 6 years and the guy I was with had a 5lb net,meaning dont bring a trout net.Thus if you spot a 20 ft boat with a net half the size of it,youve seen me.Looks like i caught a boat.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-14-12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 08:57 PM   #13
oglejust

haha awesome, a 10lber is a dream of mine.. ill probably have to go farther south to get one. fishtale is 60 a night. im ok with that. looks like were pretty much set, just gotta a little work to do on the boat to get it ready, couple batteries, lower unit oil change, ive got a steering cable thats siezed too but im takin care of that this weekend. i cant wait till april.. just hope the weather does wat it needs to
Old 02-14-12, 09:37 PM   #14
lilmule

While it might not be as much fun ,you can spend the day on a troller and catch fish,so not a huge loss that time of year in case it fails.Weather may make main lake inhospitable but nearby bays you can launch and stay in and watch the 7 ft rollers fly by the entrance,and catch a limit while doing it.
Youve got my ph number for info or help if needed,rest is up to you.
Yall come on down n see us
Old 02-15-12, 11:35 PM   #15
oglejust

motel is booked, coming up april 6th early morning staying 2 nights leaving after we fish sunday the 8th (easter day)
Old 02-16-12, 12:32 AM   #16
lilmule

If you want sunday ill take you down to secret hole number 178,pads should just be starting to come up but sparce enough you can go thru them with a boat,spawning gar and bass bring braid ,bring frogs.An dont lip no gar.
Enjoy your stay eat across the road mornings,walking distance,pricy rest. and bar behind on the hill also walking distance.Buchanan resort oak grill is decent ,4 corners on the way to that(turn at dollar general),pizza pro also across the street.
Have a safe trip.You will enjoy fishtale as like cabins with parking space between them.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-16-12 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 12:54 AM   #17
oglejust

that sounds good, ive never fished in pads but seen lots of videos, ive got some braid on the way but gotta get me a reel to put it on. i wanna have plenty of cash for the trip but if i have the extra im gna pick up another combo for froggin.
Old 02-16-12, 08:49 AM   #18
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

If you'd like to do a bit of tackle shopping while you're here, take a trip to Dover (about 15 miles from where you're staying), turn left at the MacDonalds and go about a mile. There's a US Bass store on your left. He has a ton of good stuff in there and his prices aren't bad either.
Old 02-16-12, 09:39 AM   #19
lilmule

Prior to them getting thick no different than open water,braid then is so you get it back from gar,so current rod will do nicely.You would have a hard time finding any bait in your box that didnt work to some degree,trick is in using one that works a tad better than all the others.Green pumkin bushog,paca craw,sweet beavers,bandit 200= numbers
6 in wakebaits and swimbaits equal large fish not always bass and not always gar,large drum and stripers present and yes large drum not only eat rubber but 1 oz rattletraps.
So going larger isnt always large bass you catch.
Flip to bank,fish points,flip to flooded brush on islands but DO NOT GO INTO FLOODED TREES OR BRUSH
cottonmouths and harmless snakes lay on the branches dont like being disturbed or dropping in
Old 02-17-12, 04:07 PM   #20
lilmule

Nearby at paris landing state park maybe 3/4 of a mile away,when not wanting to take the boat out,lilly pads will be present as just starting up normally its last of march.
While not many some are poking thru a full month ahead of time.
Horny toads floatin frogs they aint picky.Took this today be a lot more later.

Makes a great place to practice
By april be this or better

They are american lotus so get fairly high up off the water.Any med heavy or heavy action 7 ft 2 or 3 is fine for this.
The lake isnt loaded with this just in a few places,most overlooked by even locals.Thats rt 79 in top of pic,just across it is the marina.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-17-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 07:54 PM   #21
oglejust

thats awesome man, just when i thought i couldnt get anymore excited about this trip u show me some pix. i cant wait! ive been thru my tacklebox about 100 times and i have stuff on the way. got the steering cable out of the boat, some1 has kinked it so going to get a new 1 asap. other than that were set.
Old 02-17-12, 08:56 PM   #22
lilmule

You could come here without it and have a ball many places one cannot run anyway,when off the grid so to speak.
Any one can catch fish here caught same area next to rt 79 near mouth of beaver dammed creek at paris landing.

Notice eq isnt high tech
Big gills sometimes hit crankbaits and shellcrakers even larger will hit spinnerbaits.

Just average luck for some visitors
A 15 in bass weighs 2 lbs
Week later water over the parking lot by 4 ft last year but notice we can still get out
Up by Moors to Ky dam was closed off limits by uscg

Ps the little storm wildeye bluegill 3 in with 1 hook in back and a treble below is a killer if spawning real expensive at wal mart like 2.98

Last edited by lilmule; 02-17-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-18-12, 05:01 PM   #23
oglejust

Unhappy

welp tried to take the boat out today and now it needs a starter, y doesnt something else go wrong
Old 02-18-12, 10:27 PM   #24
lilmule

Sometimes its just the solenoid,and should something happen to the main propulsion while here,trip wont be lost can fish off troller in bays.Instead of running to each bay can launch in them how else does a 16ft tracker get there certainly not via main lake unless its august.Just about every bay here has at least 1 some have multiple.
Old 02-19-12, 12:59 PM   #25
oglejust

not the solenoid, taking the starter to get it rebuilt tomorrow. ill have it in good working order b4 i come, gotta take the cable to get it matched up this week

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.