Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 09-12-12, 08:59 PM   #1
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking Kentucky Lake advice?

The hubby's small bass club has a weekend tournament at Kentucky lake this Saturday and Sunday. They will be launching at the dam marina. Is there anyone here who has been recently or fishes it regularly that would be willing to give up a hint or two? He and his partner are leading the league with 3 more tournaments to go. They have never had top honors at the end of the league season. A good tournament this weekend could slam the door on everyone else. Sure would love for them to pull it off this year.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 10:50 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As you motor out of ky dam marina.shut off go down that right hand bank rock will hold small ones ,sand to the point holds decent fish,many released fish stop here.
Rc 1.5,green pumkin worm on a crig will catch fish later same area just lil deeper,can limit here just normally a ten pd to twelve pd limit,ky docks and marina one cannot flip 50 dollar fine.One small motel near the ramp mile or so farther much larger one with room to park boats.
If one desires more over on lbl east bank headed south is a lighthouse marina point at entrance north side,father south island within sight of bridge just out of channel se corner its a common community ledge first come first served need maps can post.
Back ends of bays like lil bear and or bear can be good at times bass are in the crappie stake beds.
Bass have not really started chasing as yet but will at any time,rubber green pumpkin worms and bushhogs,cranks shallow to deep-sexy shad-traps blue back chrome.jigs in either blue black or plain old brown living rubber that resembles chocolate milk color can be deadly paca craw green pumpkin trailer.
if the bites tuff because of a front get in a bay out of the wind and flip to wood-green pumpkin leave the ten pd test at home.take it easy run bow down,and if you dont know how deep stop,lake maps are at summer pool 359,lake is currently 357.
Much farther south grass ,grass ,grass,but a long run.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-12-12 at 10:57 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 11:20 PM   #3
lilmule

Ist place by the marina look for the white hand on the map

Light house point is a numbers hole just like the first its main lake if rough hard to fish,but lake is normal now,normal is 2 -3 fters as cant see them all as closly packed together looks like 1 ft it isnt=again run bow down and again look for the white hand

Third one is farther south,island towards bridge its a culling hole after you get a limit 16 ft of water next to 3 se corner,white hand again

if wind kicks up stick to west bays and flip
need more info email me lilmule12002@yahoo.com my camera doesnt like to take comp pics at night but can compare to any lake map and figure it out.
these three good for 12 -18 pds depending upon the bite maybe more,ledge fishing can produce 30 pd strings here,im not a top ledge fisherman im a shallow creature but do know a few holes even 40 miles north of me.
Know more 40 miles south

Last edited by lilmule; 09-12-12 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 06:57 AM   #4
Bassin' Gal

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will have the hubby study your maps and info. I hope to give you a winning report on Monday! Again, thank you so much for your time and information. I know it took a while to put this together!
Old 09-13-12, 07:54 AM   #5
lilmule

Your welcome on that last pic notice east bank bays that have lighter deep water right next to the bank and points near their mouths,not only ledges but smallies,from there to bridge.They are fairly unpredictable however.This is a flooded river fishery not like any lake,as far as they are concerned.Spotted bass also available one just catches them with the others,they do get over 15 in here.Ive weighed in several 15-16 in ones.Few try for them as 5 wont cut a check,hint bridge abutments,fluke and or senko unweighted even in the deep water as suspended next to pilings.
Hint type of bank fish are caught on will be repeated,chunk rock,pea gravel,sand or do nothin mud bank,wood etc.
If it were me id fish the right hand bank (about 1 hr)just after coming out of harbor get three to five and go to the island,soon as that bite slowed spend the day going to those other deeper ledges near shore and bridge coming back about every hr to the island to get another culler.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-13-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 09:01 AM   #6
Bassin' Gal

Hubby was studying your maps and info when I left the house this morning. I will pass on this additional info. He has fished KY Lake several times and was somewhat familiar with the areas you pointed out. Just wasn't sure what to use. Again, thanks so much for your time and info!
Old 09-13-12, 11:15 AM   #7
lilmule

Green pumkin bushhogs plum secondary and or worms,jigs on drops,topwater buzzbaits to walking baits,schoolers arig to spoons shallow cranks 1.5 to 3.5.
Most active fish arnt deep even in 60 ft of water,top 3 ft for those eating on a regular basis.Soon water will be erupting in jumps.
Last time out I had two on a buzzbait and one on an unweighted senko.For 6.58 lightning high wind 40 mph,rain,back of boat otherwise higher weight.Also as a non boater didnt pick the water.Boat on the main is like riding a bucking bronco seek sheltered waters,when it hits the fan.
Everything from videos to reports my own lil slice of ky lake info
http://kylaketn.webs.com/

Last edited by lilmule; 09-13-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:44 PM   #8
Bassin' Gal

Hubby is off to buy the one or two things he does not have from your list. Took a quick peak at your website. Will give it a better look when not at work. Hopefully, sometime we can get down to your end of the lake for a few days of fishing!
Old 09-13-12, 01:15 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Tell your hubby GOOD LUCK and we await the follow-up report to find out how he and his partner did!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 01:32 PM   #10
lilmule

Be glad to show you around if you do make it down this way.
A lot of patterns and baits that work here,trick is taking one that catches more fish than another,those listed arnt all just the most rock solid.
And yes looking forward to a report.
Old 09-13-12, 09:04 PM   #11
Bassin' Gal

The hubby has 8 rods rigged up with your various suggestions, your maps and instructions in the truck and he is ready to head out tomorrow to pre-fish before the tournament starts Saturday morning. I hope I can give you a great report! But regardless of the outcome, we both appreciate that you took the time to give him the info!

Watterboy, we appreciate your good wishes too! As I said in my op, it is just a small club with a bunch of guys who used to work together, but they have a great time!
Old 09-14-12, 03:23 PM   #12
lilmule

Ok its now has a fail safe,if for some reason he blanks its all my fault.
Just some humor
Old 09-14-12, 08:36 PM   #13
Bassin' Gal

LOL lilmule. I just talked to him and they caught a few today but not a single keeper. HA! I told him they are all waiting for tomorrow and Sunday when it counts. The ones they caught were on the c-rig. The front was coming through so that is what he is blaming it on. He said everyone they talked to had the same poor luck today. Keeping our fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Old 09-14-12, 09:43 PM   #14
lilmule

Today weak front moved thru typically they get tight to like wood like as in back half of bays,tomorrow a change as calm flat type calm sat and sun,4mph wind.Points early,then bay mouths then switch to rubber when it slows down.
Any of those three should produce but one never knows ive always caught keepers at number one as you come out of marina,after the rocks between the sand and the point .

Last edited by lilmule; 09-14-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 09:56 PM   #15
Bassin' Gal

I have sent him a text with this info. Will update you tomorrow night!
Old 09-15-12, 06:57 AM   #16
lilmule

Sunday will start to change 50/50 on wet stuff,while most of it misses us, does normally get the dam area.
Most likly be out myself tomorrow,but down here.
Old 09-15-12, 05:03 PM   #17
Bassin' Gal

Hope you have a great day out tomorrow! Just talked to hubby. They were the only team with the limit. He said they didn't get a bite until about 10 this morning. Things were really slow. He said they caught most around the barges. I don't know where that is but you probably do. They had 11lb. 8 oz. #2 only had just over 3 lbs. Hopefully, they will have a good day tomorrow. If so, they should put it away for the year! Woohoo!
Old 09-15-12, 06:22 PM   #18
lilmule

Barges are straight across while I fished them on the ohio river most of the time here worked to much,it is protected and bass here often get on man made objects and suspend.I came within a hair of recommending the mooring cells and the point going into that cove but didnt as generally fairly busy.
Mooring cells just out from there lil less busy,sometimes on weekends they are not as busy,but often just to much movement to be in a bass boat.Senko unweighted fluke and believe it or not a number 7 shadrap runs just below the lip of the barge they are marked with depth numbers,so you know its loaded or unloaded even if covered,corners are the key spots.High water two years ago T was won in there,just have to watch your six.As its a working port.
Glad he caught fish ,thats decent for a feriner must had help somewhere at least some info on what to use or toss.
No joke ledge bite in say early july 30-33 to win.I havnt come close either,but do have a ball out there.15 in fish is 2lbs so his averaged 16.
Im tossing a buzzbait till around ten in the morning before i pick anything else up,but more grass down this way.
Plan a trip down here about third week of april you will break that pb largemouth record.
We need to see pics

Last edited by lilmule; 09-15-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 07:24 PM   #19
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
Hope you have a great day out tomorrow! Just talked to hubby. They were the only team with the limit. He said they didn't get a bite until about 10 this morning. Things were really slow. He said they caught most around the barges. I don't know where that is but you probably do. They had 11lb. 8 oz. #2 only had just over 3 lbs. Hopefully, they will have a good day tomorrow. If so, they should put it away for the year! Woohoo!
Wow, relative to the rest of the field, it sounds like they did awesome! Hope they can finish up strong tomorrow and wrap up the title for the year.
Old 09-15-12, 09:08 PM   #20
lilmule

A limits a limit better than blanking,many a time wished I had one and couldnt get it.
Good luck
Still wanna see pics
Ps that flea market near the dam dont buy a used reel there.
Old 09-16-12, 04:48 PM   #21
Bassin' Gal

Well, they didn't do as well today but managed to win the tournament by about 5 lbs. I don't know if that will be enough to lock them in for the title but it still extends their lead going into the final two tournaments. He didn't say where they fished today or what they fished with, only that they got really, really wet. He isn't good about taking pictures and from their numbers, I am not sure there was one worth taking a picture of, but if he did, I'll get them downloaded and post. A win is a win and I'm proud of 'em!
Old 09-16-12, 06:33 PM   #22
WatterBoy

That's cool that they won. Congrats to them for that and good luck in their final two tourneys! Keep us posted.
Old 09-16-12, 06:43 PM   #23
lilmule

Thats neat,hope they do well in the next,barely sprinkled down here,from 8 on just cloudy.
It was an off beat day,they are however starting to chase bait around,saw several jumps,and I was catching mostly wrong kind of bass white ones.
Old 09-16-12, 08:44 PM   #24
Bassin' Gal

Thanks for the congrats WB. I sure am hoping they hang tough in the two final tourneys. It just means so much to them to finally win overall. It would break my heart for them if they don't get it this year.

Lilmule, he said every fish he caught was on the green pumpkin brushhog that you recommended. He said to give you his thanks!

Next tourney is just a one day tourney over at Barkley in three weeks!
Old 09-16-12, 11:15 PM   #25
lilmule

Same green pumpkin bushhog,senko paca craw as trailer or by itself, sweet beaver t rigged if flipping same color also works,should have jumps by then what ramp can give maps holes ,if near the dam can cross over to ky as canal is close by.
Tad murkier water due to mud banks,have lunker holes down in tn,squeeker holes in ky but 10-12 possible.
Added tidbit tip pinchers or flippers in chart dye,just the tips not to much.
Rubber is the mainstay if one cannot find a pattern on anything.
I c rig my bushhogs t rig worms or sweet beavers.And hope to find a pattern than hunt an peck.
Odds are he did well here will do so there if in ky its about ten-fifteen miles east is all as 8 miles across the lake,the canal is while not visible to the eye is within sight of most of those ramps in ky.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.