Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-05, 02:06 PM   #1
muscamoot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to muscamoot
Default warmouth

has any one heard of a warmouth bass, a hybrid between a bluegill and a smallmouth i think, well i think i caught one but am not sure if anyones got any pics of them id like to see them to verify what i caught
muscamoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 02:11 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Smallmouth and bluegill cannot hybridize. I repeat, can not.

A warmouth is a distinct species of bream with a huge mouth.

Last edited by WTL; 08-01-05 at 02:17 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 02:22 PM   #3
muscamoot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to muscamoot

a huge mouth ? then i have no idea what i caught it definitly wasnt that
muscamoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 02:25 PM   #4
WTL

Let me amend that a bit, warmouth have a huge mouth compared to a bluegill or any other type of bream.

If it werent a warmouth it could have been a rock bass (don't let the name fool ya, its also a type of bream or atleast closer to a bream than a bass).
Old 08-01-05, 07:53 PM   #5
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you sure it wasn't a crappie? People that usuallay catch a crappie and don't know what it is get a little freaked out!

Black crappie

white crappie

tripletail

go to this site and check it out search for crappie and they have photo's of the fish people have caught.

Robby.
Old 08-01-05, 07:57 PM   #6
ROBZILLA

They have really big mouths when lipped not wide but they pop out. Heres one I caught this summer at 3 or 4 in the morning. not too big but it is a crappie.

Robby.
Old 08-01-05, 08:13 PM   #7
JB

Easiest way to determine a warmouth, its almost identical to a blue gill, but take note of the throat area under the lower lip....all warmouths havea blueish tint thing going on down there, kinda like the smallmouth in design, but more blue/green.

If ya skin one , you'll notice the meat is more yellow than white.
Thier mouth is round and just the same size as the bluegill, some havea purple like throat and belly, some have the purple/ blueish green throat and punkin belly.
I always see them in streams, and some ponds, they hang shallow and are very aggressive.
All ya have to do is throwa rooster tail and you;ll find warmouths...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 09:05 PM   #8
Rodman_Rob

Warmouth are also known as Pumpkinseed Bass. They are known to thrive in waters with low oxegen levels. Have caught a few around here on some small buzzbaits and minnows.

I don't know what they are more related to, but I would agree they somewhat look like a bass and bream mix.
Old 08-01-05, 11:29 PM   #9
Unregistered

Yea, we call them goggleye down south! They eat all of my expensive plastic baits before the bass get a chance. And they don't get much bigger then about a pound, if that, most are about the size of and just a little bigger then bream. They can actually be pretty fun to catch when bass fishing is tough,because you can catch them on alot of the same lures as bass, and they are really agressive!!!

PHIL G.
Old 08-02-05, 12:06 AM   #10
flfireman

Im not sure where all the facts are coming from. There is a warmouth bass. They are small- record is like 2-21/2 pounds I believe. They are aggressive, attack anything a bass will, live in same area, do like the lower oxygen(???), I compare them to what I remember a smallmouth being. Same general characteristics- I call them Fl smallmouths.
Old 08-02-05, 12:18 PM   #11
Unregistered

Yes there is such a thing as a warmouth,but we call them goggleye in louisiana, there also called rock bass in other parts of the country. As far as where my facts are coming from is because I'v been catching them my whole life, the biggest one I'v ever picked up was about a pound 1 1/4 pounds, a 2 pounder would be huge, that must be the all time world record.
They are also very good eating if anyone is interested, every once in a while I'll get a wild hair and keep a few of them. The absolute best lure that I'v found to catch them with is a fat albert grub in junebug, are a baby brushhog
would run a close second,a 3/0 hook will catch a few of them but if you targeting just goggleye, down size to a 2/0, other lures that are very productive are ultra vibe speed craws, plastic worms,I even caught a nice one on a Ribbit the other day!!!

PHIL G.
Old 08-02-05, 12:28 PM   #12
ROBZILLA

Why didn't you say "ROCK BASS" before? thats what we call them up here and yes the are fun to catch, usually swallow the whole hook when they hit, good agressive fish. some people like to do big fish fry's with them.

Alabama 1 lbs 6 oz Paint Rock River James R. Stewart5/6/1995Arizona 0 lbs 8.7 oz7.6"Oak Creek Buzz Hettick4/21/2002ColoradoEl Paso1 lbs 1.25 oz10.6"Ramah Reservoir Timothy Fisk1979Connecticut 1 lbs 3 oz Colebrook Reservoir Ernie Gonsalves1989IllinoisGrundy1 lbs 10 oz Aux Sable Creek George Nielson5/5/1987IndianaHancock3 lbs 0 oz Sugar Creek David Thomas1969IowaDubuque1 lbs 8 oz10.5"Mississippi River Jim Driscoll6/1973KentuckyTrigg1 lbs 10 oz Casey Creek H.S. White5/26/1975Manitoba 0 lbs 16""Winnipeg River 1991Maryland 1 lbs 3 oz Liberty Reservoir Andy Grosko10/26/1998MichiganGenesee3 lbs 9.92 oz20"Holoway Reservoir Edward Arnold1965MinnesotaTodd2 lbs 0 oz13.5"Lake Osakis Paul Kern5/10/1998Missouri 2 lbs 12 oz Big Piney River William J. Rod6/15/1968Montana 0 lbs 9.12 oz8.6"Tongue River Reservoir Don Holzheimer6/1/1989NebraskaDundy2 lbs 4 oz private pond Edna Zuege5/6/1972New Hampshire 1 lbs 8 oz13.5"Island Pond Linc Chamberland9/18/1982New Jersey 1 lbs 5 oz Saddle River Eric Avogardo1982New York 1 lbs 15 oz Ramapo River Eric Avogardo5/26/1984Ohio 1 lbs 15.52 oz14.75"Deer Creek near LondonGeorge A. Keller9/3/1932Ontario 3 lbs 0 oz N/A 0PennsylvaniaErie3 lbs 2 oz Elk Creek David L. Weber1971South Dakota 2 lbs 0 oz Lewis & Clark Lake Joe A. Kippes7/14/1990Tennessee 2 lbs 8 oz Stones River unknown1958Texas 0 lbs 13.28 oz10.25"San Marcos River Chad Thomas10/9/1997Vermont 2 lbs 0 oz Lake Champlain Brad French1981Virginia 2 lbs 2 oz Laurel Bed Lake Larry Ball5/17/1986WashingtonPierce1 lbs 6 oz Steilacoom Lake William Jackson6/28/1981West Virginia 1 lbs 12 oz13.8"Big Sandy Creek Warren Ryan1964WisconsinWaupaca2 lbs 15 oz Shadow Lake unknown6/2/1990WyomingSheridan1 lbs 4.64 oz11"private pond Shelby Holder1996
and these are the state records!
Robby.
Old 08-02-05, 12:31 PM   #13
WTL

A warmouth is not a bass. We all are getting confused because of numerous local names and the fact that there are likely 50 different species of panfish in this country, many only differing from one another in small ways.

I will try and put down clearly what I think to be true.

I have never heard of a warmouth bass, certainly not of the genus micropterus. I have heard of a warmouth, which is generally either very very similar or even the same as a rock bass. Rock bass are not black bass either. Pumpkinseed in my area is a seperate type of bream, not a warmouth, or a bluegill or a shellcracker.
Old 08-02-05, 12:37 PM   #14
ROBZILLA

I think this guy is confused cause he don't even know him self what he has caught, so were all wrong till he can figure what the hell he caught!
Old 08-02-05, 12:43 PM   #15
Buzzking
BassFishin.Com Member

To be honest,my facts may need an overhaul,because that picture that you have of the rock bass looks really close to the fish I'm talking about,but WTL's picture looks exactly like it. I read a book about them years ago, and I could have swore it said
warmouth and rockbass were the same fish, but then again its been so long that it could have said that they closly resemble each other, I not sure!!!

PHIL G.
Buzzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 02:27 PM   #16
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Look up a Green Sunfish i would be 10 to 1 thats what you caught. For most of my life i called them warmouth myself which wasnt right.
Old 08-02-05, 02:31 PM   #17
cullin8s

Nlink to green sunfish pictures

http://images.google.com/images?q=green+sunfish&hl=en

NOTE: this didnt JUST bring up green sunfish, the 4th picture is a longear, but the predominant fish in the photos is a greensunfish.
Old 08-02-05, 10:20 PM   #18
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Pumpkinseed in my area is a seperate type of bream, not a warmouth, or a bluegill or a shellcracker.
there is a popular florida fish species chart in many florida bait shops showing pictures of the fish along with other names, according to this chart, warmouth=pumpkinseed bass.
Old 08-02-05, 10:40 PM   #19
WTL

I believe you Rob, yall also call crappie specks - which close by is also the name for speckled trout.

This is the pumpkinseed bream....

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=30

This is a warmouth....

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=65

This is a Rock Bass....

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=31
Old 08-03-05, 12:03 AM   #20
Skeeter

Sorry but I have to reply on this.

First off, Bream is not the family of the fish your discussing, Sunfish is!

Secondly, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, crappie, bluegill, shellcrakers, warmouth, pumkinseed, etc. etc. etc are all apart of the Sunfish species. (don't believe me, look it up)

Third, the Bream that most southerners speak of is not a bream at all. It is a species of Sunfish, whatever it is your catching at the time. (I was in the south for 7 years and I too referred to bluegill, etc as a Bream)

I know I'll get some flack on this but just go type in BREAM on google's search site and find where it refers to the tytpicial southern bluegill, shellcracker or anything else. It won't! They will all be talking about fish in the UK or Australia or saltwater fishing.

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 08:12 AM   #21
WTL

1st thing skeeter, almost everyone knows that they are all sunfish - that little bit of trivia has been beat into the dirt. Second, it is duly noted that bream is a local word as well, but it makes it easier to understand if we use that as opposed to sunfish. For the purposes of this thread bream has been understood or should have been understood as any of a variety of species which are similar in form and shape to a bluegill, including shellcracker, pumpkinseed, warmouth, redbreast, green, ect, ect.
Old 08-03-05, 06:56 PM   #22
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

This is no BS I almost broke the state record for a Warmouth bass........... I caught it last year in Dyas creek wich is a run off of the Perdido river...... I caught it on a 6" worm bass fishing....... It weighed 1lb. and 9.3 ounces......... The state record is a pound and 12 ounces........ The world record I think is about 2 pounds and 2 or 3 ounces....... I will try and get a pic. on here this weekend while im at my dads....... It is hanging on the wall right now...... It suprised me cause at that point I had never caught a fish out of that creek in my life...... and beleive me I have tried.... But I cant fish on it any more cause it was on our huntin' clubs land and someone baught it.......
Old 08-03-05, 06:58 PM   #23
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

We call em' goggle eyes here in the sowth if anyone has heard that........

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.