Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-30-07, 08:30 AM   #1
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Catfish

Alright Im goin catfishin today, and i was just cruious what some go to baits are for catfish. I usually just use the ole' regular livers and worms, but i know there are more than that out there. So if you could give me some of your best stuff. Thanks
Old 04-30-07, 08:35 AM   #2
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Live bluegills or big skipjacks work well in the Ohio River. If the fish don't want the live bait, then make the bluegills and skipjacks into cutbait. I usually cut them in a few pieces.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 02:59 PM   #3
IHATEFISHING
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IHATEFISHING

I promise you i was out at a little pond the other day bass fishin and i was throwin a white crankbait. I feel a hit all the sudden and i start reelin. I was freakin out cause i thought it was a 10lb+ bass. Then i get it into shore and i was shocked. It was a good size cat. Prolly 15lbs. But anyways enough of my story. Id say go with the liver.
IHATEFISHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 03:54 PM   #4
bassbooger

It is not uncommon to catch a catfish on a crankbait. Them cats do love live bait.

I will answer this post even though it IS in the wrong section.

The bait to use depends on what time of day you are going. If you are going during the day, then try anything mentioned above, but if you are going at night, then go get you some good size shiners. Throw them into the shallows along the banks. Cats come up shallow to feed at night and they will attack a live shiner as if it were their last meal. Another thing you can do to catch them (I've done this and it works!!) Buy you a couple dozen of crappie minnows, they cost about a buck a dozen. Put them in a small bucket where they will die pretty quickly due to no oxygen, or you can just use them while they are still alive. What you do is make a slip rig with a good size circle or Kahle hook and hook 4-5 of them minnows on there through the gut. Let them lay on the bottom and DO NOT let your rod sit without someone there to grab it because it will get yanked in at a moments notice.

Have fun with it and good luck!!!
Old 04-30-07, 05:09 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use bluegills day and night.
Old 04-30-07, 07:20 PM   #6
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

Be sure to wash your hand after using the livers. I got salmonella poisoning after using livers while catfishing 10 years ago. That some pretty nasty stuff.......
DaHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 11:59 PM   #7
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHorns View Post
Be sure to wash your hand after using the livers. I got salmonella poisoning after using livers while catfishing 10 years ago. That some pretty nasty stuff.......
not to go off topic but nice to see a fellow 'horns fan ...

anyways,yeah watch out for salmonella. try stinkbait on a sponge hook. works for me...
Old 05-01-07, 08:15 AM   #8
BassAddict

We use cut shad, herring, and ailwive or live shad when we fish for cats in the James River. We always use a cast net to catch our bait before we go out so it's fresh. Here are a couple small ones we caught one cold day in December a couple years back. We've caught Blues up to 60+ lbs.

Eric

BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.