Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-12, 10:21 PM   #1
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Team Daiwa Zillion?

Hey guys, my one and only baitcaster, a shimano antares DC is gonna be in the shop for a while so I'm thinking about getting the Team Daiwa Zillion TDZLN100HLA as an all purpose reel. I was just wondering for any who have used this reel how is the durability, casting distance, pitching ability, smoothness/feel, ect. of the reel is.
fishingprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 10:27 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The Zillion is a first-rate reel. I can vouch that it is excellent in all of those categories. Its only downfall I think is the price. If you can get a good deal, then by all means, indulge your monkey.
Old 09-30-12, 11:05 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree, the Zillion is a great reel, I have a few of them. They are built like tanks, are great casters and smooth on the retrieve. For me, they are also about the perfect size and shape, they palm really well. The only negatives for me are they don't cast light baits well and they are too expensive.
Old 10-01-12, 08:10 AM   #4
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah the reel is expensive, but so was the antares DC. The way I see it, its better to buy a high quality reel that can take abuse and last a long time then a cheaper reel that breaks after a few years. I've been using the antares for 10 years straight since I was 11 and this year was the first year I had any types of problems with it.

I think I'll go with the zillion, I'm just wondering but why doesn't it cast light baits well? I thought the magforce Z is an improved version of the the V that is slightly better suited for casting light baits.
Old 10-01-12, 08:26 AM   #5
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmm seconds thoughts, I just saw that the steez is on sale for $400, which is just a bit more than the zillion. Obviously, I would only be using it for freshwater. When comparing the steez to the zillion for the qualities listed above, how do you guys feel?
Old 10-01-12, 07:01 PM   #6
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe the main reason the Zillion doesn't do well with light baits is because it has a heavy spool. It takes more to get the spool started up. The flip side of that is it does really well making long casts with slightly heavier baits, once the spool starts spinning, it doesn't slow down as fast. There are other spools you can buy for the Zillion that will enable it to cast lighter baits.

This is mostly speculation on my part as I've never owned a Steez. I've casted them a few times and handled them in the store but that's about it. I think all the things that apply to the Zillion as far as smoothness, castability, joy to fish, should be even greater with the Steez. The Steez is a different platform all together, I don't think it will have the tank like feel of the Zillion but it isn't even close to as heavy either. I think that the Steez is built with tighter tolerances, that's why you get the ultra smooth feeling with it. It also probably uses better and definitely more bearings throughout.

One of the nice things about the Steez is they have different models, some are finesse reels while some are more general purpose. It should perform better than the Zillion with lighter baits. The Steez is built on a magnesium frame which would make it a definite no for salt water. It should hold up fine otherwise though.

If you're just buying one high end reel that you intend to take good care of and use for many years, might as well go with the Steez, especially at the sale price. I really don't think you will be disappointed with it over the Zillion.
Old 10-02-12, 10:35 AM   #7
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I decided to just go with the steez. The price was too tempting haha. I basically use one rod/reel for everything so I think the steez will be better all around since it can cast lighter baits as well as heavier ones. I can't wait to see how light it is. I usually get fatigued after like 8 hours or more of fishing, so maybe my tolerance will be 12 hours now with the light as air steez.

Last edited by fishingprodigy; 10-02-12 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 10:44 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The Zillions are great reels, if overpriced. (just like all of Daiwa's high end offerings now days). But that's what you get with the awful USD to JPY exchange rate in addition to increase parts/manufacturing costs.

Anyways, look for some good condition used ones. It's rare (but not impossible) to pick one up around $150. More common seems to be in the low $200s.

As far as performance, I've got to agree with nofear and Jrob. They are built like tanks, cast heavy baits great, but performance is lacking on the light stuff (buy hey, you can pick up a Daiwa Sol for that). And this is probably one of the most comfortable reels I've ever fished with (the Sol/Alphas frame beats it slightly though; at least for me).

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.