Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-07, 09:34 AM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default crankbait line,spinning outfit

Hey guys,I bought some Vanish flourocarbon line 10lb to use on crankbaits
I love the way it cast,handle,cast a long distant.But the problem is it frays when I fish it around timber and structure ect.I had to go chase down my lure a few time yesterday because in mid cast SNAP! there goes my lure flying threw the air.I thought this is non-abrasive line which means I can fish it in those kinda places.Jb thinks I got a bad batch of line,I hope he's right.other than that.It handled great.I want to be able to fish wood rock all the stuff and not worry about line fray ect. Thanks guys. Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 11:27 AM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

vanish is horrible line.the best flourocarbon is seguar invizx.all lines should be treated with kvd line and lure spray.it helps every kind of line i ever used it on.
Old 10-14-07, 06:00 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the line made a snapping noise like a cap being set off each time it would break, guess its time to try another brand
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 08:14 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Hey DG, after you spray that on your line, does it just help to keep the curling down, or does it make it last longer? Also, do you still catch fish with it on, have you seen a difference in catches after spraying it on?

-ll
Old 10-14-07, 09:17 PM   #5
Rebbasser

l-l, the KVD Line and Lure does help with memory. I use it on all my rods and it seems to make whatever line I am using handle better.
Old 10-14-07, 09:31 PM   #6
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank

I picked up the KVD spray yesterday @ Basspro thanks to my friends from Toyota giving away 10$ gift certificates to listen to them for like 2 min talk about the tundra. even got a hat and a multi-tool.(best day of my life) the wife got one too . so the 20 bux went to a crankin series BP rod.

but anyways to my question... can you use the spray on braid too? or just for mono/fluro lines?
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 02:50 AM   #7
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Now you know why it is called Poof! Uh I mean Vanish. Luckily the lure broke off vs. the fish of a lifetime.

I second the Invizx recommendation. I use this line and have been very pleased with it.
Old 10-15-07, 01:16 PM   #8
Denny_K

Default coool

Hey thanks guys I'll check out the seguar line you talked about.c-ya Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 06:30 PM   #9
lizardsrule

BRAID!!!!

Lizards
Old 10-15-07, 06:43 PM   #10
JB

lizards,
i keep telling him........
and telling him.......................
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 07:44 PM   #11
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

OK...I know I'm fairly new to semi-serious bass fishing, but every time I read something.....I feel more and more like a total knob!!! ok...what the hell is KVD spray, what does it do? how is it applied? can it be used to freshen up the bathroom??...HELP!!!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 08:57 AM   #12
BassAddict

Vanish and Vanish Transition are the absolute worst lines ever made in my opinion. For the reasons you found out yourself if nothing else. It is horrible line. I fish my crankbaits with P-Line FluoroClear. This stuff is super strong. I've started using it for worms and jigs lately with great success too. I highly recommend it!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 07:28 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
OK...I know I'm fairly new to semi-serious bass fishing, but every time I read something.....I feel more and more like a total knob!!! ok...what the hell is KVD spray, what does it do? how is it applied? can it be used to freshen up the bathroom??...HELP!!!!
Reel Magic, and KVD spray are something similiar to a lubricant, in a aerosol spray can. They help mono/flouro have just a little less memory. You can just spray it on the reel/line. If you want to do it right, then soak a rag in it, and reel the line in as it's going thorugh the rag. It needs to be continuosly applied, like evey 30 minutes or so. It's not a do all for line, but it does help. Now the good answer is to get rid of that stuff, and just use Braid rotfl.

Lizards
Old 10-23-07, 12:19 AM   #14
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
Vanish and Vanish Transition are the absolute worst lines ever made in my opinion. For the reasons you found out yourself if nothing else. It is horrible line. I fish my crankbaits with P-Line FluoroClear. This stuff is super strong. I've started using it for worms and jigs lately with great success too. I highly recommend it!

Eric

I'll vouch on that one as well bassaddict I used it this season on my crankbait rod 12lbs test. I have yet to lose a fish on it... My only concern with it is that now that it is getting to be the end of the season and I have used it a ton through out the spring summer and fall. I am having alittle trouble with knots breaking. I'll sometimes have to tie 3 or 4 knots before I get a really strong hold. But as far as casting and strength I am planning on using it again next spring.
Old 10-23-07, 10:34 AM   #15
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Hey DG, after you spray that on your line, does it just help to keep the curling down, or does it make it last longer? Also, do you still catch fish with it on, have you seen a difference in catches after spraying it on?

-ll
it makes the line much more manageable.does not deter strikes from fish.reel magic is a silicone spray.kvd is a coating that stays on your line.it will not turn wire into limp string but it's a good addition for any line.
Old 10-23-07, 12:44 PM   #16
garry_3000

Default Hold On Now

Ok I See That Some Of You Like Braid For Everything But I Dont See How That Can Be First Braid Is Good For Fishing Brush And Weeds But When Fishing Rocks The Stuff Gets Cut Real Easy And Will Break And In Clear Water You Can See The Stuff An Mile Down Please Tell Me More About How And When You Guys Use Braid
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 10:12 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, some people do only use braid. Personally, I use mono and fluoro as well as braid. Now like you said about clear water, some people don't believe that line visibility makes any difference. As for me, I do. I recently switched to braid and caught less fish. So, even more recently, I started using a fluoro leader, and are now catching more fish.

--bb144--
Old 10-26-07, 08:33 AM   #18
Lancer6

Denny,

Braid will be OK. However, if you have concerns about line visibility and you tend to use a stop-and-go retrieve with certain of your cranks, then braid might shake your confidence in very clear water.
Also to be considered is the lack of stretch in braid. With all the whoop-de-do about not tearing the hooks out of the bass's mouth...glass rods, parabolic actions, etc, the decreased "give" may cause you some concerns. Still, with one of those springy crankbait rods, the decrease in stretch may actually be of some benefit, especially in detecting a bite on slack line during a stop-and-go retrieve or when a bass just swims up alongside the lure and gently takes it. That DOES happen, you know.
If braid doesn't blow your bloomers up, then instead of pure fluorocarbon you might try a cofilament combo such as P-Line FloroClear (No "U" in that.) FloroClear is a premium mono sheathed in flourocarbon. The result is that it sinks fairly rapidly, which is desirable in virtually all applications save for topwater (plugs, buzzbaits, toads, frogs, etc.) Also, the fluoro sheathing makes it almost as invisible as pure fluorocarbon.
Now for the best part(s); One, it's a lot less costly than pure fluoro. Two, it seems to be less prone to fatal kinking.
BTW, it's very mannerly on either spinning OR casting reels. Why not give it a try?
And...Vanish, and it's cousin, Transition are the lousiest lines I've EVER used. I'd give up fishing before I'd even use it for backing!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.