Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-27-09, 07:27 PM   #26
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
I HATE FLOURACARBON...... i have used it b/c SBK loves it

and this whole crap about being more abrasion resistance is a lie.....

i was fishin a c-rig around rock, i mean consant rock, and after like 5 hours mono broke, and i was about to retie then the guy i was fishin with said "hey use this" i did, after like 5 cast it was messed up, i changed again, and like 2 cast later it broke on the hook set

that was a bad bad day, everythin went wrong, but yes flourocarbon is garbage

now i have used that transoptic stuff bekley just released.... and like 3 months ago (i have connections) i caught my first drop shot fish on that, and it cast good
You have connections?I think that one kid that you fish with has connections bud.hahaha

I got the proto type line at the classic from the pro-staff manager and i let AYG use my rod with that line to catch his first drop shot fish.But that Trans Optic Line is way better than Big Game,since I started using it,I love it.

I had to give AYG a hard time bc we fish a lot together
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 07:28 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am currently fiddlin with P-line flouroclear, yes its not a true flourocarbon but the way I see it I would rather pay half the price for decent quality, give up maybe a smidgeon of pure flouros clarity, and take that extra $10 and throw it at gas.

I will let yall know how I find it fishability wise later when I have a chance to really stretch it out.
Old 07-27-09, 09:03 PM   #28
swimbaitkid

The p-line 100% fluoro springs off your reel like you wouldnt believe,i took like 3 out of the 4 spools i bought for my spinning rod back after finally giving p-line up bc it springs off and twists BAD
Old 07-27-09, 10:01 PM   #29
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I am currently fiddlin with P-line flouroclear, yes its not a true flourocarbon but the way I see it I would rather pay half the price for decent quality, give up maybe a smidgeon of pure flouros clarity, and take that extra $10 and throw it at gas.

I will let yall know how I find it fishability wise later when I have a chance to really stretch it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
The p-line 100% fluoro springs off your reel like you wouldnt believe,i took like 3 out of the 4 spools i bought for my spinning rod back after finally giving p-line up bc it springs off and twists BAD
SKB, I've never used the P-line fluoro on a spinning reel, but when I had it on my baitcaster, it had a ton of memory. This was way before I used any line conditioners, but it still had more than any other fluoro I've used with no line conditioner.

WTL, the Fluoroclear, unlike the 100% fluoro, is very nice. While not as sensitive as pure fluoro, it's still better than mono. I use a copolymer for most of my spinning reels applications. And 98% of the time, it's fluoroclear. I recently bought a spool of Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft, but haven't fished with it too much. So far, I think it's a lot tougher than fluoroclear, but it is also stiffer.

BB
Old 07-27-09, 10:40 PM   #30
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

I have it on 2 baitcasters in 15lb and 20lb test and the line holds up extremely well and is strong as all he77 , I don't think you will dislike it man .

Jim
Old 07-28-09, 09:44 AM   #31
Jigger

So far, I've used Berkley 100% fluro and Seaguar carbon pro and I am not happy with either. Way too much memory. I finally gave up on the Berkley line and switched back to my old, old standby, Berkley Big Game Mono. What a relief not to have to deal with those little loops that appear on my spool while I'm pitching.

And, I beg to differ with those claiming line conditioner will solve the problem. I used KVD and Reel Magic to no avail.

I'll give fluoro one last chance because of recs on this board for Seaguar Invisix or abrasix (sp?) but if those two don't work, it's back to mono for yours truly.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 09:51 AM   #32
swimbaitkid

I keep it simple with line,3 different kinds of line. Berkley Big Game for Mono,Berkley Trilene 100% Flourocarbon for Flouro,and Suffiz 65lb Braid.That covers everything you need,I dont think that the other "mix" lines are any different than mono
Old 07-30-09, 12:43 PM   #33
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Being a huge fan of Fluorocarbon and having a pretty intimate knowledge of both BPS brand and Seaguar brands, here is the deal on these FC's...

Seaguar's Carbon Pro (which may or may not even be in production anymore) is Seaguar's lowest quality fluorocarbon "main" lines. It has inferior softness, tensile/knot strength and abrasion resistance... not to mention it also has more stretch than their other fluorocarbons.

Seaguar's FC main lines, in order from BEST to WORST are as follows (IMHO):
1. Tatsu
2. AbrazX
3. InvisX
4. Red Label
5. Carbon Pro

So if you bought Carbon Pro and didn't like it, perhaps it is because it is one of their "inexpensive" lines. I've never fished Carbon Pro, so I can't give it a due comparison to their other lineup of FC's.

As I've mentioned, I'm a big fan of Seaguar and a big fan of Bass Pro Shop's XPS Fluorocarbon, which is made by Seaguar. While I haven't tried EVERY fluorocarbon out there, I've tried most of the "big store" brands and even some of the lesser known lines like Blackwater International (which has some good lines). It is my opinion that Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon is among the worst.

A line conditioner will help tremendously, but I do not want to give the idea that you NEED to use a line conditioner with fluorocarbon. If you have the money to use a conditioner, then spray it on before storage. If you'd rather not spend your money on conditioners, and don't want to use one, then a quality fluorocarbon shouldn't give you any problems.
Kevin echoed my thoughts exactly. I only use XPS and InvisX. The Invisx is on my spinning rod that I seldom use. I do like the line on it though! I have to admit... I'm using Pline FluoroClear more and more. Only problem there is long term. It's not a line you want to leave on your reel for a year and use it again. I respool for tourney's every month so it's no big deal!
Old 07-30-09, 05:40 PM   #34
basstech

Ok, someone jinxed me here. On this thread. I believe I had stated that I hadn't had a problem with the seaguar Carbon Pro, and I hadn't, untill yesterday. It was a rare cast that I was able to make without getting at least a little "Proffesional Overrun". After the first five cast, I did grab my KVD Lure and Line treatment spray stuff and doused the line pretty well with it. It didn't help. Honestly though I think it was because I was tentative, was fishing off a marina dock with corrigated roofing and was using a brand new rod that I deffinately did not want to smack anything with. Going out in a boat tonight and see if I don't have better results.
Old 08-02-09, 12:30 PM   #35
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

basstech, no line conditioner works immediately. read the directions on the bottle and you'll find it takes like 24hrs for the first dose to settle in. I spray my line 3 times, one each day before fishing with it (if I have 3 days before I fish). And then I spray it on about once a week after a fishing trip so it at least gets to set all night.

BB
Old 08-02-09, 10:12 PM   #36
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I am struggling to contain my backlashes. I am using PLINE Floroclear #12 but am very new to baitcasting. Is that a bad line for someone first learning the baitcaster, or too light? If its not good maybe someone can recommend something else for me to try... it would seem if I wanted to change it up, Trilene 100 Fluoro or XPS are candidates from perusing the above posts.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:36 AM   #37
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

I can simply fix all your Flourocarbon Problems: Go back to Mono!
There is not that much differance in Clear Mono vs Flourocarbon's High Cost & Cob Webs.

When you come back to Mono make sure it's MADE IN THE USA! (Check the Lable) e-Mail them & thank them making the mono here! For me I use Berkley Trilene Big Game 10# on my spinning reel & 12# on the baitcasting reel. I have used other brands, but I just keep coming back to BG.

Ok, Trilene XL would work better the spinning reel, but BG is just a better deal for the money.

If stretch is bothering you use Trilene XT!!!
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 09:00 AM   #38
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
I can simply fix all your Flourocarbon Problems: Go back to Mono!
There is not that much differance in Clear Mono vs Flourocarbon's High Cost & Cob Webs.

When you come back to Mono make sure it's MADE IN THE USA! (Check the Lable) e-Mail them & thank them making the mono here! For me I use Berkley Trilene Big Game 10# on my spinning reel & 12# on the baitcasting reel. I have used other brands, but I just keep coming back to BG.

Ok, Trilene XL would work better the spinning reel, but BG is just a better deal for the money.

If stretch is bothering you use Trilene XT!!!
Amen, brother. I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. Ditto the Big Game. I've used it for years. I want to keep up with the times as much as the next guy but, like you, I'm beginning to think old school mono may be the way for me. I keep reading these glowing reports on fluoro and braid, and I've tried a bunch of them lately but those lines have got their own set of issues.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 10:34 AM   #39
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

After all of my displeasure with fluoro this past Spring, I've resorted back to mono for all of my cranking needs.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.