Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-09, 06:40 PM   #26
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Acid Wrap / Spiral Wrap

The original rod was called an acid wrap rod for obvious reasons. The intent is to load the rod on the underside of the blank and really shows its advantage when fighting big fish, no rod torque. I don't believe the distance advantage was meant to play into it if it is actually even measurable.

The first guide should be placed at 90 degrees the balance on the underside.

As far as spine placement, its a non issue and makes little or no difference whether the bow is on top or under or at 90, more of a gimmick to sell spine finders. If it makes you feel better place it where you think it make a difference, though there is a valid argument.

I like to place the tip of my blank at a spot where the wall and floor intersect then load the butt end of the blank with my thumb pushing toward the tip until it bows and mark a point on the bowed side then unload the blank and repeat the process a dozen or so times marking it each time (china white pencil) and build my rod with the mark to the top side. I always build them using the same method. It simply minimizes the variation from rod to rod giving a "commoness" to each rod providing a similar feel when I lay down one rod and pick up another. Its a variable that can be controlled which is the only reason I do it.

Tom

Last edited by TnTom; 10-02-09 at 07:49 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 06:52 PM   #27
muddy

Thanks for your input: Most definitely can tell a difference retrieving big lures and especially fighting bigger fish.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 08:17 PM   #28
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tom...You do realize of course, that what you're describing is finding the rod's spline, right?
Old 10-02-09, 11:26 PM   #29
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd love to give one a try, but it seems like that spiral would cause the line to wrap closer to the rod and rub against a lot more of the rod surface and place more abrasion and stress on the line when a fish puts any kind of load on it.
Old 10-02-09, 11:58 PM   #30
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
I'd love to give one a try, but it seems like that spiral would cause the line to wrap closer to the rod and rub against a lot more of the rod surface and place more abrasion and stress on the line when a fish puts any kind of load on it.

Actually it is just the oppisite. The kicker guide, turns it away from the blank and over, so the rest of the guides , handle the line as if they were wrapped to a spinning rod, best way I can describe. All the line in on the guides, none on the rod during the fight.
Old 10-03-09, 08:30 PM   #31
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Tom...You do realize of course, that what you're describing is finding the rod's spline, right?
Yep,
I've never found any real advantage other than it gives me a common condition from rod to rod as I build them.

One way to tell is to test cast the rod before the guides are wrapped. First with the spine in one orientation then reposition the guides with the spine at a 180 degrees. I do it to all my rods I build.

A much bigger variable is in the static placement of each guide. It has a major impact on distance as well as accuracy and both are very measurable. Spine placement has little or no impact on either. (Unless your using a really junk blank). I apologize for getting off the subject of the Spiral or Acid wrapped rod.

Muddy is right on, and a 90 deg orientation (to the side of the blank) of the first guide is critical in getting the line to under side of the rod along with the spacing of the guides.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-04-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 11:09 PM   #32
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I saw a guy at a Bassmaster weigh-in about 12 or 13 years ago. He was talking about them and their extreme castability, but they must have never caught on. That or they are selling dusty stock for the past decade.
Old 10-03-09, 11:12 PM   #33
muddy

I belong to a local bass club and 2 other forums, and I can attest from fishing in several states, and with several other fellas, they are not rare on custom built rods. They are definitley not in the majority, as rack rods are not made this way I would say about 40% of the custom builts I have seen in the past 4 years , BAIT CASTING , have been spiral wrapped.
I prefer off the rack convential wraps for bass fishing
I have a new interest; Chasing 12 to 20 Lb Blue Fish with Inshore Equipment instead of larger Salt water rods, this is where I love the Spiral Wraps, it's all in the fight!

Last edited by muddy; 10-03-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 01:27 PM   #34
TnTom

Seems like it comes in spurts. Like about about 1 in 20 or so rods someone will ask me to build a spiral wrapped rod or at least inquire. I've never fished one to any extent but the folks who like them love them.
What I've found is if someone has a spiral wrap made the next rod he has made will be a spiral wrap.
This is a spiral wrap getting bent and shows pretty good what happens. This one was made by Kims Custom Rods in Lakewood Ca. They have been at it for a long time.
Attached Images

Last edited by TnTom; 10-05-09 at 11:42 PM. Reason: add pic of loaded spiral wrap

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.