Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-09, 10:34 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Broken Rod Handle Repair..Extending the blank.

I tried to replace the reel seat on my Lighting rod and accidently split the graphite..In frustration,and thinking its ruined,I snapped the rod over my knee breaking it in half 12'' from the butt.Then threw it away..
After talking with TnTom,he sent me a great article on extending rod blanks,and I was able to save the blank using an aluminum rod...Its adds weight but not near as much as I first thought.. after all was finished,the rod feels better than before,just slighty heavier,but not enough to kill your arm.
Attached are the progression pics with step by step.
Thanks Tom!

You should be able to click on the pics and zoom in to read them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1,2,3.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	4409   Click image for larger version

Name:	step 4,5,6.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	4410   Click image for larger version

Name:	step7,8.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	4411  
Old 10-23-09, 11:25 AM   #2
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you have an old rod that can be spared a piece of it makes a good splint also. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-23-09, 11:33 AM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
if you have an old rod that can be spared a piece of it makes a good splint also. Glad it worked out for you.
Thanks...Yea,the original idea was to find a grahite golf club shaft,but didnt have any laying around...oh well,it only cost me $9 for the Fugi seat,and aluminum rod...I'll take that anyday,lol
Oh I found this rod building tutorial page,Im sure you've seen it
http://rodbuildingtutorials.com/
I talk to Randy Parpart through email about marbling and decals.
I didnt realize how many tutorials he had out.Nice guy.
Old 10-23-09, 11:38 AM   #4
TnTom

WJ,
Its a big community and there seems to be endless amounts of info and never ran into a problem that someone hadn't found a solution to. The tutorial is a vault of info. Actually printed it out a long time ago and keep it above my bench. Some great data bases and easy to reference.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-23-09 at 11:48 AM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 12:33 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
WJ,
Its a big community and there seems to be endless amounts of info and never ran into a problem that someone hadn't found a solution to.
Im starting to find that out.haha.Ive probably read over 30 articles this week on everything from mixing the flexcoat better to faux abalone inlay.
I ordered the Rainshadow blanks to start the next build...Its going to be a beast!!
Old 10-23-09, 01:41 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WJ, You'll love those rainshadow blanks! I was amazed at how light and sensitive they were for such an inexpensive blank.

I was going to extend cranking stick another 6", but then I wouldn't have been able to do a split grip, but it worked out good and I like the 7' rod. The guys at NetCraft told they use a part of another blank (like a piece from a broken rod). It keeps the weight down nicely.

BB
Old 10-23-09, 02:10 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
WJ, You'll love those rainshadow blanks! I was amazed at how light and sensitive they were for such an inexpensive blank.

I was going to extend cranking stick another 6", but then I wouldn't have been able to do a split grip, but it worked out good and I like the 7' rod. The guys at NetCraft told they use a part of another blank (like a piece from a broken rod). It keeps the weight down nicely.

BB
Im really looking foward to checking them out..I did alot of research on them,and not a single compliant/problem was mentioned.
I got to order from 4 different companies to build this rod.
I gotta make a cork jig (doing inlay work this round) using blk/white EVA foam..Red metallic aluminum cork rings inlayed in the butt,and doing the faux abalone inlay on exposed blank on the split grip.

Kind of similar to what this guy did...I got the butt ring idea from him.(you'll notice my comments,lol)
http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopo...php/photo/7158

Its going to be a mean challenge!!
Old 10-23-09, 03:08 PM   #8
islandbass

Man, that is excellent information! Thanks for sharing! It kind of makes me want to break my L rod in two just to try it out. (J/J)
Old 10-24-09, 12:11 AM   #9
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Im starting to find that out.haha.Ive probably read over 30 articles this week on everything from mixing the flexcoat better to faux abalone inlay.
I ordered the Rainshadow blanks to start the next build...Its going to be a beast!!
Have you read Tom Kirkmans tutorial on applying epoxy? As soon as I started using that method it made a significant decrease in the time it takes to apply and the quality of the finished rod. very very flat, non footballs, no air bubbles. NO BRUSHES

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.