Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-08-10, 12:50 PM   #26
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Possibly on my own baitcasters I use what called a roberts wrap or spiral guides so its on top at the beginning and underneath at the end.
I use it as the rod loads better.
The other reason is spinning outfits are normally used with lighter line a friend of mine uses 10 pd power pro which has a 2 lb diameter and when using an unweighted bait out fishes me.
Like a fluke late in the fall they slash at baits commonly.
Its hard to compare sensitivity unless both are spooled with the same line,when both are with it very near each other,particularly when a spiral guides are used on the baitcaster.
Physics dont apply in many cases of fishing,why do fish prefer to hit one rod more than others when rigged with identical baits and using same line and reels?
Some things will always be unanswered a bubble bee cannot fly according to physics.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 01:06 PM   #27
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Some things will always be unanswered a bubble bee cannot fly according to physics.
That is a very often abused bit of folklore. The story was, in the 1930's, the conventional theory of aerodynamics didn't explain how the bumblebee produced enough lift. It had nothing to do with defying any laws of physics. they just didn't know enough at the time, and mistakenly compared insect wings to fixed-wing aircraft. They figured it out about 70 years ago.

As far as spiral wrapped rods, I am getting ready for a fun post that I'm sure will tick off some, and be enlightening to others. Posting it in just a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Nofear, why I can't understand why spinning gear would be more sensitive, but I have heard that a couple times before. I've heard it has something to do with how the guides are set up and how the lines touches them compared to a trigger rod.
Anthony....this one falls under the psuedo-science category again. According to some, if your line is laying on your rod, it dampens the sensitivity. Okay, that much makes sense. However, here is where it falls apart.

If your line is laying on your rod, you are either

a) fighting the fish and your rod is bowed...in that case, what the heck do you need sensitivity for?

b) your line isn't taut, and just how exactly would you think you were going to feel anything with a loose line? Hang a loose line under a spinning rod, and you're going to get the same exact results.
Old 02-08-10, 02:37 PM   #28
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think the reason why spinning gear is more sensitive is simply becaus if you noticed, a bait casting rod has a tendency to always roll over so the reel is underneath. Your hands are always gripping it and working to prevent that from occurring regardless of how subtle and subconcious that is too the angler. With spinning gear there is a natural balance that allows your hands to stay more relaxed and thus detecting the nuances better. As for power I never said the reel had anything to do with that. It's spinning equipment, It has something to do with the way the rod flexes and the guides being underneath allowing more of the anglers hook setting power to transfer through the line. Like I said, it was twenty years ago, and the guy had better sources than I had so I wasn't going to question it, then I haven't seen or heard or read anything the proves differently. I thinking this goes without saying but this for the most part applies towards fishing slow soft plastic presentations. I agree lighter thinner diameter line also helps but even if all things were equall I believe an angler will have better feel/sensitivity with spinning equipment.
Old 02-08-10, 02:53 PM   #29
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Basstech, I didn't mean to use the term "reel." I should have said "rod."

You do have a good point about having a more relaxed hand while using spinning tackle. I tend to cradle a spinning reel gently, while I palm the whole baitcaster. You might be on to something there.

I'm not sure about it though, because once again, I tend to use them for different techniques. Maybe it's just that drop-shotting or finessing a tube just lends it self more to sitting back, and cradling, rather than having a death grip on the handle, like with a crank or a spinnerbait.
Old 02-08-10, 10:53 PM   #30
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are all sorts of pros and cons to both.... I myself being a weekend warrior have one spinner and one spincast (for bass; I have a combination of smaller setups for panfish).... I had a bait caster for a few months last summer and it just got to be too much work, too many tangles and too much maintenance just for normal fishing.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.