Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-10, 10:43 AM   #1
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Question about lens color (sunglasses)

I read part 2 of Kevin's guide to bed fishing last night. It convinced me to buy a pair of Costa Del Mar's with the 580 lenses. Up until now, I've always been a generic $15 sunglasses guy and have always used gray lenses so color lenses is something that will be new to me.

Here's my question... I've read that yellow or amber is the way to go because of them blocking yellow light better. The Costa 580 lenses however, according to their website are specifically designed to block yellow light.
Quote:
Yellow light is the enemy, on the water and on land. Costa 580 lenses use patented technology to cut down on the yellow light, allowing the eye to see more red, blue and green. Simply put, they're the most advanced glare-beating polarized sun lenses on the planet, and they'll change the way you see, period.
So with the 580 lenses, does it really matter the actual color of the lenses, or will any color work?
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 02:23 PM   #2
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Never tried the Costa glasses, but did read the link. Noticed that they compared amber/copper Costa glasses to cheap grey glasses. If we assume (as I do) that amber or yellow is the generally superior tint, then to make it a true apples to apples test would have required using cheap amber lenses for the comparisons. Seems possible that the differences would not have been so "glaring".
Beyond that, it does stand to reason that amber Costa lenses would outperform grey Costa lenses for the same reasons they outperform in other brands. At least, I would want to make the comparison before I put out that kind of money on a pair of sunglasses.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 02:34 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have three different pair of glasses for diffrent types of fishing.
Brown or amber for backwater with shade and tanic water. Cost 12 bucks.. polorized..Stren
Grey dark for bright sun and bottom fishing Cost 12 bucks polorized also..Renegade
Blue reflecting lens for Bay or ocean heavly polorized... Cost 14 bucks..Foster Grant

I bought two pairs of each and still cost less than my normal Rayban Wayfairers for driving.
Old 05-05-10, 08:07 PM   #4
tarpon120

I have several costa's none with the 580 lens, however I put a pair of amber on a couple of weeks ago and I wanted a pair. These came from a rep and they really were nice to view through. I was not on the water but hopefully I will get to try them out soon.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 09:49 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have 3 pair of Costas:

Amber for cloudy days.
Gray for sunny days.
Yellow for low light/really dark days.

those three lens colors will cover just about everything you run into.
Old 05-05-10, 10:32 PM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use amber for cloudy days and blue for more sunny. I don't know how it is supposed to work that is just how my wiley x sunglasses are.
Old 05-06-10, 08:29 AM   #7
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I read part 2 of Kevin's guide to bed fishing last night. It convinced me to buy a pair of Costa Del Mar's with the 580 lenses. Up until now, I've always been a generic $15 sunglasses guy and have always used gray lenses so color lenses is something that will be new to me.

Here's my question... I've read that yellow or amber is the way to go because of them blocking yellow light better. The Costa 580 lenses however, according to their website are specifically designed to block yellow light.So with the 580 lenses, does it really matter the actual color of the lenses, or will any color work?
Hi Shawn,

If I were you, I'd buy the 'Silver 580 Lens'... which is a misnomer, because the 'Silver Lens' is a copper tinted lens. Why they call it the 'Silver Lens' is beyond me.

The copper tint will bring out the greens in fish and grass.. which is important.

But a real advantage is the quality of Costa's glass lenses. There is a science to good optics and I think my 4-way comparison of that one rock is a good example of the difference in clarity and sharpness between cheaper sunglasses.

Don't get me wrong, the Wiley X Jake's perform nicely, and I wear them when boating because of the climate control foam gasket (talked about in a recent review I did), but I switch to the Costa's when fishing for the added clarity and sharpness. Not to mention they are more comfortable.

I sight fish more than most, and I can tell you the Costa Silver Lens is the best I've used. It really amplifies the green in fish.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 10:58 AM   #8
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone! I'll look into getting some amber or yellow lenses. Probably the Silver 580's like Kevin suggested.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 12:12 PM   #9
tarpon120

Shawn, after reading Kevin's response I checked with Adam and the glasses I put on were the silver lens and honestly they were better than my current Costa's. As soon as I can swing it I will be buying a pair. Good luck.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.