Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 07:39 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line Choices for New Rods

I have looked at the line guide on this site and it has been helpful but I do have a couple questions. I am getting a few new rods shortly, a dropshot rod and a T-rig/Senko/Worm rod. My drop shot rod is a Dobyns spinning rod and my worming rod is a Dobyns baitcasting rod (still being shipped out so I’m not sure how I like them yet.) But the line guide says flouro for dropshoting around 8lb. But I have heard flouro can be a pain on spinning set ups. So would you recommend going full flouro or braid with a flouro leader? I like how sensitive braid can be but I know braid would not be good for the finesse aspect. Also the same question for my worming rod. it will be used for both cover fishing and more open water fishing?

Thanks
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 07:48 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Depending on where you're fishing, and how big the fish are typically, 6lb is fine for drop shotting. You'll have less of a problem with line twists as well. Their's also a few folks here that like braid on the there spinning out fits.

For Texas rigs, IMO, the ideal line is braid with a flouro leader if you don't mind the roughness of it, or can afford a smooth braided line.

Not really sure if I'm qualified to answer this, as I'm kinda on the fence about what line I wanna put on my softbait/topwater combo.
Old 07-13-10, 08:10 PM   #3
MO3N

Ya im pretty set on using Braid on the worming rod. I'm just not so sure on the spinning rod. I dont know why I kept saying dropshot because it will mostly be used as a shakyhead rod but im guessing there pretty close to the same as far as line goes.
Old 07-13-10, 08:17 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
Ya im pretty set on using Braid on the worming rod. I'm just not so sure on the spinning rod. I dont know why I kept saying dropshot because it will mostly be used as a shakyhead rod but im guessing there pretty close to the same as far as line goes.
eh, drop shotting to me me is a last report when fish are not biting at all. So, the lighter line the better. With shaky heading, I think 8lb is a little better, if for no other reason the better hook sets, you need to get through the plastic more so than with a drop shot.
Old 07-13-10, 08:20 PM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

MO3N,

Flouro on a spinning rig is not usually an issue if you have a decent flouro and don't go too heavy on the line. I use 4-6 lbs seaguar and don't have any issues. When I was using P-line I did have issues with it jumping off the spool.
Old 07-13-10, 08:22 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I use 20# braid on my spinning gear with an 8#-10# flurocarbon leader. I'm back to co-polymer line (YoZuri) or straight flurocarbon on most of my baitcasters, the exception being my jig and frog rods which are spooled with braid. I got really tired of tying those leaders on the baitcasters. I feel the leaders are necessary for most of my spinning applications but it's only a few reels and not so bad. You'll have to try different lines to see which is going to work for you. If you're going to use braid on spinning I like the 20# to cut down on wind knots, which I seemed to get a lot of with 10# braid.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:49 PM   #7
MO3N

Thanks for all the quick responses. Before I started using Baitcasters I was using 20# braid on my spinning reels with no leaders and I really liked how you could feel everything. Now that im a little more experienced I know Braid is not the best choice for everything so I think for the more subtle stuff ill need to switch that to flouro.
Old 07-13-10, 08:50 PM   #8
tim4081

I use spinning tackle quite a bit for shakey heads and small weightless plastics. If I'm fishing muddy water (which since I fish mostly on a river system, its most of the time) I use 10 lb Power Pro. For clearer water I'll switch to 6 or 8lb Seaguar Invisix. I've tried alot of different fluoros and IMHO the Invisix has good sensitivity and the best line handling characteristics.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:52 PM   #9
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
I have looked at the line guide on this site and it has been helpful but I do have a couple questions. I am getting a few new rods shortly, a dropshot rod and a T-rig/Senko/Worm rod. My drop shot rod is a Dobyns spinning rod and my worming rod is a Dobyns baitcasting rod (still being shipped out so I’m not sure how I like them yet.) But the line guide says flouro for dropshoting around 8lb. But I have heard flouro can be a pain on spinning set ups. So would you recommend going full flouro or braid with a flouro leader? I like how sensitive braid can be but I know braid would not be good for the finesse aspect. Also the same question for my worming rod. it will be used for both cover fishing and more open water fishing?

Thanks

i've caught trout on a wacky rigged senko on 20 lb braid.trout are far more skittish than any bass ever was.line visibility means nothing to a bass.i know guys who dropshot with braid all the time.
Old 07-13-10, 09:35 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Mo3n, first off, what models are the rods? (not really important to the line discussion, but I'm curious).

For the dropshot rod, I'd either go with 6-8lb fluoro like the line guide says, or 10lb braid with a same size fluoro leader. I use the latter and love this setup for dropshotting. Super sensitive.

As for the worm rod, I use 12lb fluorocarbon on my Dobyns 733C. I switched to straight fluoro so I didn't have to add a leader to my 30lb braid. Had no problems with it yet.

BB
Old 07-14-10, 04:03 AM   #11
MO3N

I ordered these rods for the rods for these two techniques
SS 703 SF shakey head
SS 703C worming
Old 07-15-10, 08:02 PM   #12
Rebbasser

MO3N, a line that does not get much mention but is by far the best line I have used is P-Line Floroclear. It is mono with a fluorocarbon coating. Tough, strong, and handles like a dream on both baitcasters and spinning rigs.
Old 07-16-10, 05:43 PM   #13
66KingFisher

Someone from this forum gave me a roll of Yo-Zuri Hybrid 6#, that I've been using on my spinning reel this year, and I must say I've been really impressed with the stuff......Its got great sensitivity and zero memory to speak of.....Its without a doubt a major step up from any of the mono's I've used in the past.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.