Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-13, 08:47 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Hollowbelly Swimbait/Yum MM Alternative?

We've been fishing swim jigs quite a bit so far this year, with mostly 5" Yum Money Minnows as trailers. They're working well, but like most hollowbelly swimbaits, they're pretty expensive. I've had a few last a while, even through a few a fish. But they are getting torn up and not staying on the jigs.

I tried some Strike King Shadalicious swimbaits I picked up on sale last year and we tore them up even quicker than the Money Minnow.

What are some of your favorite alternative to hollowbellies as swimjig trailers?

Has anybody been able to get the same wide rocking/kicking action out of one of the smaller solid plastic swimbaits like RI Skinny Dippers or Havoc Grass Pigs?

BB
Old 06-01-13, 10:48 PM   #2
Bassboss

Ever throw skinny dippers on em Anthony? I know allot of guys that do, ya might wanna give it a whirl! They have tons of colors, so it'd be real easy to find a good match for whatever swim jig you're throwing.
Old 06-02-13, 08:14 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Anthony, I use the Luck-E-Strike hollow bodies behind their Scrounger head. They work very well, but as with most hollow bodies the are not all that durable. They are ok and repairing the tears with a hot knife or wood burning tool (like with a SENKO) will extend their life.

Scrounger head.

The Scrounger will give you the rolling action you're looking for.

Swim jig trailer - SWIM SENKO, nothing better. LOL!

And that ENDS my Tackle Warehouse plug for the day!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-02-13 at 08:21 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 12:11 PM   #4
WatterBoy

I used a swim jig for the first time ever last year and had good luck with a Rage Craw as the trailer. They were very durable except when a pike would snip one or both claws off! There were multiple times when I would have two distinct hits during a retrieve, and when I got my lure back to the boat, BOTH claws were gone.

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 12:21 PM   #5
keithdog

I asked a similar question a few years back and Kevin suggested trying the Optimum Double Diamond, which is the first photo. It works very well and has great action. It's a solid body swim bait that holds up well.
I also recently started using Trigger X Slop Hopper swim baits, second photo, as trailers and they also seem to perform very well. They are also a solid body swim bait. Great swimming action with the Slop Hoppers.
Myself, most of the time, your going to find a Strike King Rage Tail Craw on my swim jigs. The have tons of action! And since there are two swimming appendages, it helps to keep the jig shallower.
And lastly, I also like the single grub for a trailer on swim jigs. Particularly the Zoom 5 inch Fat Albert. This is an old standby for me and works well even when using a slow retrieve to get the swim jig down a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDDBP-524-1.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	8791   Click image for larger version

Name:	1932374_pri-12060605063917.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	8792  
Old 06-02-13, 04:40 PM   #6
Jrob78

I don't fish the Skinny Dipper style swimbaits very much by themselves and when I use them on a swimjig I cut an inch or so off to keep the bait more compact. They seem to have more of a rolling action than Money Minnow style baits.

I agree with Keith on the Optimum Double Diamonds. Another you might take a look at are the Big Hammer Swimbait Tails. They have a taller shape and are meant for jig heads. I have some but I haven't used them a ton. I would think the action would be closer to what you're looking for.
Old 06-12-13, 02:16 AM   #7
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Havoc Beat shad or Grass Pig. Both 2.99 a pack and you can get a bait down to 3" or up to 5" to match the size of the jig you're using. Both more durable than hollow belly baits too.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 11:43 AM   #8
3dkicker

I used to have some 3.5" trailers that were custom done but I've run out and the company won't make me anymore. I'm working on another manufacturer to make me some to use and sell. You may want to take a look at the Swimmin’ Super Fluke and the Swimmin’ Super Fluke, Jr. too.

Old 06-16-13, 06:38 PM   #9
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

havoc subwoofer
Old 06-17-13, 07:00 PM   #10
woody

Big Hammer Swimbaits...

...nuff said.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 08:21 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It's been a crazy couple weeks for me here, but I've finally got a little time to check out the forum. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll look into them.

I've been looking into getting some of the RI Skinny Dippers. I'll have to pick some up to give them a try.

Bruce, I'm gonna save my hollow bellies and give the wood burner a try to fix them.

Dean, I never thought of using the Rage Tail Craws, but I'll give them a try. I'm even thinking that the Rage Shads would work well too.

Keith, I did see that picture you texted me (just like week after I got it for some reason )

bluebasser, I love the grass pigs, but haven't seen the Beat Shad. (Looking at the Havoc line up, it seems I haven't kept up with the new releases well, lol).

3d, those look great. Let me know if you find someone to make them for you.

I'll also have to check out the Optimums and Big Hammer swimbaits that a few of you mentioned.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm sure there's something on this list that will give the action I was looking for with better durability than the hollow belly swimbaits.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.