Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-05, 06:40 PM   #1
ketchmorebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ketchmorebass
Default Plastic Coleman "bass boats"

i just graduated from high school and my dad asked me if i chad any idea what he ould get me for a graduation present, my first thought was a boat and i stumbled across these coleman "bass boats" online...http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...yID=66003....I was interested in the bass classic 8 and 10...just wondering if anyone has herd anythin about these boats or ever used one, i'm havin a hard time trying to figure out if there any good...thanks
ketchmorebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 06:54 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Plastic Coleman "bass boats"

they look like the basshunter boats... they dont have much space....and really you only want to use it in small ponds...also, it only take a 5hp. i would look into a jon boat..more space, can handle atleast a 10hp. but once again, these are only for small ponds...you can get away with going into lakes with a jon boat...but not one of those. so i would go with a jon boat.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 07:32 PM   #3
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

but alot of big bass live in those small farm ponds.
Old 06-07-05, 08:00 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Its a cheap way to get out on the water tho, all you need is a pickup truck to put it in, or even better yet keep it at someones pond if they will let you.
I have had a john boat at the pond for 25 years,
and other people come and go, I am not the only one that fishes it, but probably only a dozen people go there, and not that often, the biggest gripe I have
(denny can tell ya)
people walk off or loose my f/n anchors
I work in a steel manufacturing plant so getting any I-beams or anything I can to make another
only takes the time to cut n weld it, but it pisses me off
..I know that from time to time the rope rots and they loose the anchor that way, thats no biggie.
I also have had oars stolen or broken, usually line and old worms layin around..
If you get a trolling motor you'll have to lug that around too, get a charger too.
Like everyone said, they are cramped for room, Ya more or less sit the whole time, You can stand but all in all
its a good way to get started, sure beats finding a spot on the bank to throw OUT..instead of being in the boat and looking and throwing at the bank..
If I were you, I'd get one.
They crack easy , dont drop them or let the wind flip them, if that happens just go to any car parts place
and get a simple fibroglass mesh and hardner kit.
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 08:58 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

but a jon boat you have more space, and can use it in a lake OR pond, and a river, with those you dont wanna take it to a lake. jon boats are also more sturdy, you can stand up in one...and really there isnt much price fluctuation between the two boats.... this is all just MO.
Old 06-07-05, 09:53 PM   #6
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

I have a Plastic boat like this one http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....ductId=1072791
Its not the same but its really close, mine is a Pelican and cand handle a 7Hp motor, also has a livewell and a place to keep the battery. I get it in big lakes with no problems and it is just $699 in Academy.
(I have it with a 5Hp and a Trolling motor)
One more thing i like this better than a jon boat because this thing is much more stable
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 09:58 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Any flat bottom boat will get ya in "skinnnier water"
[glow=red,2,300]{shallow}[/glow]

Also, we are comparing a plastic or fibroglass 2 seater to a aluminum john boat that prob can hold more tackle and even 3 people, but a little harder to lug around,
I used to have a 16 footer that I would put in the back of my 84 chevy beater, put the nose up on the cab and let the rest lay in the bed, tied down of course, I bet that boat was almost twice as heavy as the coleman.
I gave it to my brother in law in fla with a 15 horse, and it got stolen LOL
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 10:12 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I'd go with a kayak if I needed another small vessel for ponds and such. Much more moble and lighter. Can't tote the gear, but on ponds you don't need a big tacklebox anyway - get a vest.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 01:27 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well if he's asking why not be honest. I'd say I want either a Triton, or a Ranger, minimum 18 foot, preferrably 21 foot, with a minimum of a 150HP, but preferrably a 225hp ;D Make sure it's set up with 2 good fishfinders, and a Maxxum trolling moter. Need to also make sure that it's plated while he's at it, and a Nice big-o-truck to haul it back and forth to the lake. And lastly, I want him to go fishing with me as much as possible, so he can enjoy my graduation present too 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:03 AM   #10
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118180458;start=0#1 date=06/07/05 at 17:54:25] i would look into a jon boat..more space, can handle atleast a 10hp.[/quote]

lol, mine will barely handle a 30 lbs thust transom mount w/battery without the water going over the edges every time I lean a little. I've had the feeling where the next little bit of water could send me swimming. Ain't fun that way.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:07 AM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

how big is yours? thought yours was like 10' or so right? im talkin like 14-16'.
Old 06-08-05, 02:08 AM   #12
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1118180458;start=0#8 date=06/08/05 at 00:27:26]Â*I'd say I want either a Triton, or a Ranger, minimum 18 foot, preferrably 21 foot, with a minimum of a 150HP, but preferrably a 225hp Â*[/quote]

some of us would rather go to the lake to fish, not play ;D
Old 06-08-05, 02:10 AM   #13
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118180458;start=0#10 date=06/08/05 at 01:07:37]how big is yours? thought yours was like 10' or so right? im talkin like 14-16'.[/quote]

9 foot, 'bout 2.5 feet wide, with me in it, floats in about 4-6 inches of water depending on gear, could "scoot" in 2-3. Not that I ever really need to, but it works wonder for going over all the cover we have down here.
Old 06-08-05, 09:10 AM   #14
spinner_13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinner_13

Just used a "Bass tracker" like that this past weekend. My father in law just bought it and I weight in around 190 he is 230 or so.

We put us, 3 poles, a trolling motor and a batter as well as other supplies and had no problems.

His lake is a decent 2000 acre lake. I would not receomend to large of a lake due to its limited speed (by motor size we were using). If a storm came we would ahve been hard pressed to get off in time.

Bonuses are its small, easy to handle for one person, extremely stable, light. gets in shallow water, easy to move etc.

I was extremely happy with the experience.

If you live in michigan I know where one is for sale around $600 with troller.
spinner_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 10:18 AM   #15
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1118180458;start=0#8 date=06/08/05 at 00:27:26]Well if he's asking why not be honest. Â*I'd say I want either a Triton, or a Ranger, minimum 18 foot, preferrably 21 foot, with a minimum of a 150HP, but preferrably a 225hp Â*;D Â*Make sure it's set up with 2 good fishfinders, and a Maxxum trolling moter. Â*Need to also make sure that it's plated while he's at it, and a Nice big-o-truck to haul it back and forth to the lake. Â*And lastly, I want him to go fishing with me as much as possible, so he can enjoy my graduation present too 8)

Lizards[/quote]

wow lizards you red my mind. ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 12:00 PM   #16
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Got a friend who has a Coleman. He bought it years ago and it's still going strong. It appears to be a little heavier than other boats of the same size (jon boats). That "I" think is due to the fact that it's glass ref. aluminum.
I presently have a "Basshunter" that weighs appx. 100 lbs. It's plastic w/a 20 lb thrust trolling motor on it. I usually fish with the motor set on 1. No problems getting around in it.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:01 PM   #17
Scott_Calvin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott_Calvin

i would go with one of the plastic boats because they are light weight and all i need a boat for is to go out on a little pond behind my house that has a sh!t load of bass in it. the thing with john boats is they are havy and hard to transport with out a truck. like i said all i need a boat for is to go out on a little pond behind my house
Scott_Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:25 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

how are you going to transport a plastic boat like that without a truck? those plastice boats weigh 100lb+. i still prefur jonboat, more room, and can get into shallower water. btw, what part of orlando are you from?
Old 06-08-05, 08:27 PM   #19
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

there goes that ryan kid again posting stuff he doesnt know about or dumb questions/remarks just like his "frozen, live, or artifical" post! I think someone needs to talk to this kid!!!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:31 PM   #20
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Taken care of...go check the "frozen..." post again.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:04 AM   #21
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler

I had a boat like that. It was great, got me into places others couldnt and I was always catching fish. Plus it only fit me so no one to annoy me Of course I used in on ponds in south Georgia. The only drawback is the space. but since you are starting out, you will figure out how to arrange your equipment and make the most out of it.
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:17 AM   #22
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

They make plastic boats with wheels.
Maybe you could just get a used trailer, it doesn't really matter what kind just so long as it will hold the boat.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.