Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-07, 11:41 PM   #1
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

Default No more Walmart lures?

Gentlemen,

I read in a "Bassin" mag. that Walmart is getting out of the fishing tackle buiseness. Anyone heard anything about this? If true it could be good news for Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas etc., not to mention the local small shops.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-07, 11:50 PM   #2
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't believe it....not one bit....wall worlds sell a ton of fishin junk
Old 01-25-07, 11:55 PM   #3
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

I know I agree. They put our only local tackle shop out of buisness. We have an Academy now. But it is only 2 years old. Before that it was Walmart or pay triple price at the Marina. This was the Feb. issue of "Bassin" I believe. And what about all the FLW products and Tour? Isn't that all Walmart affiliated?
Thanks.
Old 01-25-07, 11:56 PM   #4
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yup,they do. If you need some spinnerbaits at a cheap price you cant beat their $1 spinnerbaits! The Renagade series of stuff is ok also,but I like name brands better.
Old 01-26-07, 12:01 AM   #5
bubba bass bigfoot

naa i dont think they will, plus dont want them to, I live with'n 5 mins of one so when I need something its a quick pickup. well Gander is in the same lot but they sell different things, and Gander might not have what I need.

Plus I love their $1 buzzbaits, they have worked better than any other buzzbait for me, even out fished namebrands.
Old 01-26-07, 11:03 AM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I really hope not because they are my main source of baits. Nearest BPS is an hour away so i cant make that trip often... Iwould be realy mad if they did because we have no tackle shops.
Old 01-26-07, 11:33 AM   #7
skeeter944

I have Walmart 5 minutes away and the nearest Bass Pro is 4 hours,I usually just order from basspro.com,they have everything that I need.
Old 01-26-07, 11:44 AM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

walmart and kmart have sold fishing/hunting stuff for years, I can't see why they would stop now! I can almost see the opposite trend happening, they keep adding more tackle at the bigger walmart in richmond ind. the one here doesn't have near as much tho.
Old 01-26-07, 01:18 PM   #9
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't think that walmart will go out of the tackle business. However, the Walmart store prior to the "superwalmart" had a much larger selection of tackle. Personally, I like the two local stores, Gander and Dunns (locally owned).
Old 01-26-07, 03:35 PM   #10
CMorg

Our Super WalMart just opened a week ago , and they do sell more fishing supplies , and even a few more brands than they used to..
Old 01-26-07, 10:29 PM   #11
Vabass22

NOO!
I love renegade stuff, and their buck spinnerbaits!
For anything else, I go to ODS, for the better service, and to support them.
Old 01-26-07, 11:54 PM   #12
zooker

<evil laughter> i don't buy jack from wally fart.. there stuff is seconds and thrashy..

of the 4 baits that i have that wont run right 3 came from walmart..

zooker
Old 01-27-07, 01:19 AM   #13
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

no kidding zooker! You gotta pay for the quality...

I woudl believe that they would discontinue the FLW line of baits, but not carrying tackle altogether
Old 01-27-07, 01:32 AM   #14
Super Fluke

They sell to much fishing stuff to get out.
Old 01-27-07, 10:25 AM   #15
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Look for clearances on the stuff you like. You could get your favorite walmart lure 1/2 off. You never know.
Old 01-27-07, 12:00 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

i agree with zooker, there stuff is junk! i used to buy stuff like crankbaits, hooks, or line from wal-mart and it was junk! several times i have thrown a crankbait that i bought at wal-mart and have no bites, then i will lose it or whatever and tie on the exact same crankbait that i bought from some place else and catch fish! their hooks are weak, their crankbaits have lack luster action, and their line is rotten and is full of weak spots. not to mention i hate them in general, did you know that they put a salary cap on there employees here in mo? if you work at wal-mart the most you can ever make regardless of how long you've been there is $10.00 an hour. then a week after doing this they donated $25,000 to the homosexuals charity. let's see...they can't afford to pay there employees so they put a b.s. salary cap on them at the whopping tune of $10.00 an hour, and a week later they donate money to homosexuals. when they did this i refused to go back. i never spent a ton of money in there store but if they can afford to donate $25,000 to an organization like that then they don't need any of my money.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 01-27-07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 12:05 PM   #17
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i agree with zooker, there stuff is junk! i used to buy stuff like crankbaits, hooks, or line from wal-mart and it was junk! several times i have thrown a crankbait that i bought at wal-mart and have no bites, then i will lose it or whatever and tie on the exact same crankbait that i bought from some place else and catch fish! their hooks are weak, their crankbaits have lack luster action, and their line is rotten and is full of weak spots. not to mention i hate them in general, did you know that they put a salary cap on there employees here in mo? if you work at wal-mart the most you can ever make regardless of how long you've been there is $10.00 an hour. then a week after doing this the donated $25,000 to the homosexuals charity. seems to me that something is out of whack, and when they did this i refused to go back. i never spent a ton of money in there store but if they can afford to donate $25,000 to an organization like that then they don't need any of my money.
wow..i always hear about walmart being a good company but this surprises me...
Old 01-27-07, 02:11 PM   #18
CMorg

No , WalMart is clearly not a good / fair enterprise. They have been in all kinds of troubles , just google it and see for yourself. Low wages , not paying people for overtime , all to keep there prices low so they run America. I think walmarts are destroying the economy personally. I also know for a fact that walmart sells second quality products. Let me explain. In 1998 I started a car audio store , I was factory authorized to sell Pioneer ( and alot of other brands ) the Pioneer rep. came to my store and explained that I could not sell below their Map price , if I did then I would lose my ability to buy direct as selling below this price " degrades their product reputation ". I brought up that wal mart can sell the same lowest model made for 20.00 cheaper than I could. The rep. told me to check walmarts model number again and I would see that I was selling a DEH-100 , And walmart was selling a DEH-10. The walmart brand was of lesser quality and had many less features , this it seems was a line made exclusively for walmart because they were not going to sell for what Pioneer wished for them to sell for , so instead of Pioneer losing walmarts large buying capacity , Pioneer just made them a cheaper line. I know this is factual , as it came straight from a reps. mouth.
Old 01-27-07, 07:26 PM   #19
JRL

The Jupiter Wal Mart I go to hasnt restocked its lure section since before Christmas. Seriously NOT ONE new lure has been put on the shelf.

Last edited by JRL; 01-28-07 at 10:24 AM. Reason: because I cant spell
Old 01-28-07, 02:33 AM   #20
sillybass
BassFishin.Com Member

I was just at Wal-Mart tonight and went and looked at the fishing section all the FLW brand stuff was on clearance , everything else was the same prices as usual. I did buy 2 packages of the FLW 6 inch finesse worms for $1.50 for a pack of 20 I figured what the hell might as well give them a try ,was thinking maybe trying them on a shakey head?
Old 01-28-07, 03:39 AM   #21
Rodman_Rob

I usually pick up tackle I might need right before a trip since a local wal mart is on the way to most of my fishing desinations.
Old 01-28-07, 08:29 AM   #22
rangerbuz
BassFishin.Com Member

...Wally World will not completely get rid of the fishing dept., but word has it that they are scaling back and will stock only brands they can make a larger
profit on and items that produce a lot of turns (popular items) and those items with their brand (Renegade) or FLW brand...
Old 01-28-07, 09:34 AM   #23
BPACA

Those FLW Finnese worms are the best finnese worms in my opinion.....They do catch fish like no other on a dropshot!
Old 01-28-07, 10:34 PM   #24
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
if you work at wal-mart the most you can ever make regardless of how long you've been there is $10.00 an hour. then a week after doing this they donated $25,000 to the homosexuals charity. let's see...they can't afford to pay there employees so they put a b.s. salary cap on them at the whopping tune of $10.00 an hour, and a week later they donate money to homosexuals. when they did this i refused to go back. i never spent a ton of money in there store but if they can afford to donate $25,000 to an organization like that then they don't need any of my money.
Do you have a problem with homosexuals? If you do, I feel really sorry for you. I am straight, but have homosexual, and bi-sexual friends, and personally think people like you are a completely ignorant ******* that needs to keep his derned opinion to his self.

Last edited by Vabass22; 01-28-07 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 10:46 PM   #25
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I'm a flamboyant homosexual who loves to shop at Wal-Mart.

And I can catch more and bigger bass than you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.