Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-07, 10:41 PM   #1
StetsD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StetsD
Default What's the best thing to throw out first?

I usually try a spinnerbait first, early in the mourning, then progress to crankbait, then to plastics (which takes more patience). The bait I've caught the most fish on through the years is a texas rigged Lizard (Green Pumkin), and my second most successful bait is a pumkin seed 4" tube with a few weights. I've never caught a bass bigger than 2 lbs. with a spinnerbait or a crankbait, but there the funest baits to fish. My question is does anyone else fish something flashy first- such as spinnerbaits, then a hardbody bait like a crankbait, then go to soft plastics for the rest of the day, or is that just my logic?
In what order do u guys fish what baits?
StetsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 11:06 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It all depends on many variables. Such as the time of year, weather conditons, the makeup of the body of water I am fishing, and so on. In the spring, my approach is very different from mid summer. The fishes seasonal patterns change, and we must change with it. I usually have six rods rigged and ready at all times. In my area this time of year, early in the morning, I will head out with a buzz bait or other surface lure on one rod. You'll also find a spinnerbait, a frog or toad bait for shallow pads and weedbeds, a senko style bait, and a shallow and mid depth crank bait. From there, I work and let the fish tell me what pattern they are on that morning. As the sun rises and becomes more intense, I will work both deeper weed beds, and also work the heavier weedbeds in shallower water where bass will take refuge. Concentrate on shade this time of year. Not because the bass seek protection from the sun as many believe, but because bass and other preditory game fish use shade to hide themselves in so that they can ambush prey. This past weekend, I had a heck of a time finding a good pattern untill around 11:00AM, when I found bass AND walleye in submerged weedbeds in 8 foot of water. Using my Rapala DT6, I landed about 12 fish in an hour. Don't give up on your spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I've caught some of my largest fish using those baits. Spinnerbaits work for me at any time of day or night.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 11:43 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Around this time of year, I will start out with a spook, worked over shallow flats. after an hour or so after sunrise, I switch to a t-rigged soft plastic worm, Bounced along the dropoffs of the flat I was just fishing. When its about mid-dayish, ill switch to a crankbait and hit the deep spots. This has been the most productive order for me.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 12:34 AM   #4
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ill usually throw a popper out in the early morning. about an hour after sunrise, ill throw a spinnerbait. then if thats not producing, ill throw a crankbait. and if that doesnt produce, ill throw plastics fished slow. and if that doesnt work, ill fish deep with a deep diving crankbait or a jig.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 07:31 AM   #5
FlyRod

If we can get on the water at least an hour pre-dawn, I'll throw a T-rigged Tiki Stik (5", Black/Blue Swirl, 4/0 EWG hook, with a carefully inserted rattle.)
I may punctuate with a few casts with a 7/16 oz. Strike King Midnight Special spinnerbait in Black/Blue and a black Johnny Rattler (the big one) or black Spook. As of late, I've also had success with a ZOOM U-Tail, Black Sapphire, T-rigged with a glass bead pegged (no toothpicks, please. Use "Peg-Its") at the nose of the worm and a free-sliding 1/8-3/16 oz. tungsten weight.
As Eos (Greek Goddess, AKA Dawn) begins to stretch her rosy fingers across the sky, the Black/Blue Tiki is exchanged for another color...Watermelon/Black Flake or a Senko in Watermelon Pearl Laminate. The spinnerbait morphs into either White, Blue/White, or Chartreuse/White, with double willow-leaf. The Black topwater becomes a Super Spook Jr in a lighter shade, and that Black Sapphire ZOOM U-Tail becomes either a Watermelon/Red or Watermelon/Blue.
I hope this helps.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 08:21 AM   #6
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

I will never throw a spinner until the water temp gets below 65 degrees. Shoot i have some lakes that i fish in that the bass with not touch a spinner bait. But on all of the big lakes one the water temp is below 65 the spinner and jerk bait are the way to go.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 04:46 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatrapper View Post
I will never throw a spinner until the water temp gets below 65 degrees. Shoot i have some lakes that i fish in that the bass with not touch a spinner bait. But on all of the big lakes one the water temp is below 65 the spinner and jerk bait are the way to go.

To each his own. But I can assure you both of the lures will work in 90+ degree water. I've proven it time and time again.

Lizards
Old 08-15-07, 05:03 PM   #8
3dkicker

1) A few expletives after smacking my shin on the trailer hitch.
2) Some barbs at my fellow club members.
3) A couple runners stealing second.
4) The trash.
5) The bath water or is it the baby??? I can't remember which.
Old 08-15-07, 06:24 PM   #9
basschamp4

i like to throw a popper early
Old 08-16-07, 12:01 AM   #10
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

I understand that a spinner will work all the time but when you go out on lakes and throw that joker about 500 times w/ no bites you learn that they dont like it. Shoot i have thrown a spinner at the log 10 times or so then i tossed a worm and they hit the worm. Spinner baits are junk until the water temp is below 65
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 06:38 AM   #11
JB

Your odds at getting bit on a spinnerbait improve when the water clarity is slightly stained or has a murk to it. A spinnerbait will work in any temp of water btw
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 09:18 AM   #12
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

I am with the guy above.. I have NEVER caught a single fish on a safety pin style of spinnerbait.

When I was a kid I used to fish a private pond that I could catch bass upwards of 2+lbs. on beetle spins. I did not even know that larger spinner baits existed at that age.

Now, later in life, I have about 7 different colors/blade styles in my box and have tried them all at various times-but have never caught a fish with one.

I would say I have the LEAST confidence in a spinnerbait, at any pond, any time of the year, with any water temperature or clarity.

I have thrown spinnerbaits and not caught anything then switched to plastics and immediately caught fish.

This thread was started inquiring about what to throw out first... Since I am just getting back into fishing, what I have been doing when I get to a new place is studying the body of water. Watch for forage prey that the bass might be consuming. Study the water clarity, depth, temperature, time of day, the forage available, and then try and mimic something that is already available. Figure out where the fish are (if you can-this is hard for me still) and then put something that resembles what they are already eating in front of them. Someone mentioned on this site in another post that if you are fairly positive that the fish are there, but they won't bite what you are throwing, change lures to something else.

If you can't tell, I'm apparently not a big proponent of spinner baits. Not that I could not be convinced that they work, but I would have to have some personal success with one, in at least 2 different geographical places before I put any faith in them.

I go straight to plastics at any pond that I am at. They are the most proficient producers out of everything in my box and it would not make sense to start with anything other than what works, and what I am most comfortable with.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 10:16 AM   #13
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

spinnerbaits are like every other single bait in the world, sometimes the bass want them, sometimes they dont. You may skunk out on the spinner one day, and the next catch 50 bass. Its all on the bass, not the bait. If they arent hitting the spinner, switch to something else and try again.

Now to answer the main question, I usually throw a Stik Bait first and foremost, and depending on whats happening and the conditions in which I'm fishing I'll change it up.
Old 08-16-07, 10:16 AM   #14
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
I go straight to plastics at any pond that I am at. They are the most proficient producers out of everything in my box and it would not make sense to start with anything other than what works, and what I am most comfortable with.

Confidence in a bait is key to catching fish on it! The spinnerbait for me personally is one of my favorite baits... But if you have confidence in one bait and none in another, fish the bait you know will work and produce fish!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 10:25 AM   #15
MississippiBoy

About 2 weeks ago, I spent a good part of the morning throwing topwaters and plastics, didn't get one strike. Then I tried a chartreuse spinner, caught 3 fish in 15 minutes. Not sure what water temp was, but air temp was upper 80's, and highs had been mid to upper 90's for weeks before, so I'm sure water temp was somewhere north of 65.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 05:46 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
I have NEVER caught a single fish on a safety pin style of spinnerbait.

I have thrown spinnerbaits and not caught anything then switched to plastics and immediately caught fish.

If you can't tell, I'm apparently not a big proponent of spinner baits. Not that I could not be convinced that they work,
oh say it aint true

now kawaboogy there is a guy on this board who is VERY good with a spinnerbait. in fact i bet he throws one alot. i know he makes great ones. as for who?? oh dam i...forgot his name now..-i am getting old ya know..

first thing i chunk da frog man..

i slow roll a blade at night also use a crankbait quite a bit..

zooker
Old 08-16-07, 06:13 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatrapper View Post
Flyrod and I fish a lake like that-no spinnerbait bite. EXCEPT: When there is a good wind blowing. Fish the bank the wind is blowing into. Boat control can be a challenge, but it can be worth it.
Old 08-16-07, 06:46 PM   #18
flfireman

Primary bait- spinner bait, after that Im using soft plastics. Early morning you may catch me w/ a zara spook.
Old 08-16-07, 08:46 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I do whatever work, I normaly start using a topwater first cause they are my favorite, it no luck with 15 or 20 minutes, I switch to something else. No particular order though.
Old 08-19-07, 01:35 PM   #20
Caeser24
BassFishin.Com Member

Buzzbaits are always first for me,
Caeser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 08:30 PM   #21
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
1) A few expletives after smacking my shin on the trailer hitch.
2) Some barbs at my fellow club members.
3) A couple runners stealing second.
4) The trash.
5) The bath water or is it the baby??? I can't remember which.

LMAO

Lizards
Old 08-21-07, 05:31 PM   #22
Hoyle27
BassFishin.Com Member

ask jimmy h about spinnerbaits, I got to ask him in person years ago. spinnerbaits are jigs with well, spinners. work them through the water like a jig. in clean bottom places let them fall to the bottom(spawning beds) raise them and lower them... drives bass crazy. through the water give them some action bump-bump reel pause bump..... order of baits varies greatly on the condition for me. usuaully top water in the morning, then soft plastics, if nothing is working, work a medium spinnerbait (at least 1 willow leaf always silver) along weedlines. works for me.
Old 08-23-07, 12:41 PM   #23
Rodman_Rob

the old lady.

I should be nice, she does let me fish quite a bit.
Old 08-23-07, 03:58 PM   #24
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
the old lady.

I should be nice, she does let me fish quite a bit.
I donno Rod, I am beggining to agree with you.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 11:19 PM   #25
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
I donno Rod, I am beggining to agree with you.
well I don't know about your old lady, but if mines in the boat.........she's gotta go................and I'm not talking about going to the bathroom.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.