Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-08, 05:22 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Line for Spinnerbaits

I was throwing a spinnerbait today and noticed I could barely feel the blades moving even if I was reeling fast. I thought this was because of choppy surface conditions, but I'm not sure. I also thought i could have been the line. Last summer I used braid, and today I was using fluoro.

What line should I use for spinnerbaits?

BB
Old 03-20-08, 05:26 PM   #2
zooker

mono you want the extra stretch it provides.. when setting the hook with floro it tends to tear big holes in the fishes mouth which makes it easier for the fish to shake the hook..

zooker
Old 03-20-08, 05:27 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

my guess would be, it isn't the line since you are using flourocarbon. i use mono for spinnerbaits and flourocarbon is more sensative than mono. could be the blade size, the wire the spinnerbait is made out of, the choppy water, the rod, or any combination of these things. just my guess though and i am not a spinnerbait expert.
Old 03-20-08, 05:35 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks guys. To be a little more specific I was using P-Line Fluorocarbon on a BPS Pro Qualifier rod. The spinnerbait was a BOOYAH Super Shad (the one with four blades). The reason I was wondering was because I was trying to Slow Roll it, but could barely even feel the blades if I burned it. I do think it was the choppy surface condition. This can effect the sensitivity, right?

BB
Old 03-20-08, 05:36 PM   #5
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
mono you want the extra stretch it provides.. when setting the hook with floro it tends to tear big holes in the fishes mouth which makes it easier for the fish to shake the hook..

zooker
Spot-on target! 12-14 lb mono for me.

-Lunk-
Old 03-20-08, 05:38 PM   #6
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Thanks guys. To be a little more specific I was using P-Line Fluorocarbon on a BPS Pro Qualifier rod. The spinnerbait was a BOOYAH Super Shad (the one with four blades). The reason I was wondering was because I was trying to Slow Roll it, but could barely even feel the blades if I burned it. I do think it was the choppy surface condition. This can effect the sensitivity, right?

BB

Try a St.Croix, you'll think these things are a God Send!

-Lunk-
Old 03-20-08, 05:47 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

chances are it is the spinnerbait! that spinnerbait has small willow leaf blades right? you probably won't feel them, at least not much.
Old 03-20-08, 05:51 PM   #8
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've got a couple of those four bladed willow leaf spinnerbaits. I can't feel them very well and i think it has more to do with the four blades in a line up the spinnerbait arm. I think because of that design that the blades kind of reduce the vibration kind of like use a phase inversion to cancel out noise signals in electronics. I use the p-line cx premium in 15 to 20 for spinnerbaits. Need a little stretch in the line but also memory will deaden the baits even on steady motion baits. Cx seems to loose it's memory quicker than any other line i've used in a long time. You might try that as well as using a st. croix. They are a great rod for the money.
Old 03-20-08, 06:10 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I'm with C-rig. You really don't feel small willowleaf blades turning.
Old 03-20-08, 07:22 PM   #10
keithdog

I have to agree with Reb and Carolina. I have two Proqualifier rods and they are plenty sensitive. I can feel my spinnerbaits just fine with those two rods provided the spinnerbait gives off enough vibration.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 09:47 PM   #11
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree... the small willow blades will be hard to feel. Put an Indiana blade on there and it will thump more. I use 15-20 lb Berkley Big Game for blades.
Old 03-21-08, 08:26 AM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have one of those Booyah Super Shads and you can't feel them like you would any other spinnerbait. I haven't been bit on it either. They look awesome though, and I still haven't used it on Lake Michigan with the clear water and tons of balls of baitfish. Tie on any other spinnerbait, on the same set-up, even a single willow leaf one and you'll see the difference.

I agree with the other guys, though, 12lb.-14lb. mono is the way to go.
Old 03-24-08, 05:40 PM   #13
toneyoutdoors.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to toneyoutdoors.com

I usally use around 15-17lb mono on my spinnerbaits. If im going to slow roll a spinnerbait i will use one with colorado blades on it. You will feel them thumpin.
Old 03-24-08, 06:12 PM   #14
Bob Smith

If the you have four willow leaf blades as suggested, then that alone would be hard to feel. I have to also agree with Zooker on this one.. I try to throw my blades on mono so I don't over react to a subtle bite, the braid or flouro will snatch it away from the bass. I usually use 15 to 17# mono.
Old 03-24-08, 07:02 PM   #15
zooker

i have never yet had a suttle bite on a spinnerbait.. either they mash it or they don't..

zooker
Old 03-24-08, 07:11 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i have never yet had a suttle bite on a spinnerbait.. either they mash it or they don't..

zooker
EXACTLY!!!!!!!! That's one of the reasons I use braid. I have not torn a fishes mouth that has thrown a spinnerbait that I can ever remember. You just can't beat braid for sensitivity period. I use a 6'6" MH or a 7'MH rod along with this line, and "I CAN FEEL THE BLADES", and every tree, or weed, or rock. I don't use a huge hookset, as it's not needed. Sorry but as usual I will agree to disagree on this one.

Braid/Lizards
Old 03-31-08, 11:33 PM   #17
fishwrench
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishwrench Send a message via Yahoo to fishwrench

Ripping mouths with Fluoro? I doubt it. I've been fishing Fluoro almost exclusively, and it has stretch - plenty of stretch. It doesn't stretch as much as mono, but it still has plenty of give. It's a great alternative for fishermen like myself that couldn't get used to the no-stretch quality of braid. Don't get me wrong - I like braid, I just can't get the feel for it. So, fluoro it is. It holds up better than mono, and still has a little give.

Give me 12lb fluoro (not that Vanish crud though), a 6'6" MH Fishwrench Field Commander rod, and an Abu Garcia Revo; I'll whoop 'em up with spinnerbaits all day. Will I feel the spinnerbait? Absolutely...unless it has four Colorado blades; you're not going to feel that.
Old 04-01-08, 06:45 PM   #18
zooker

lizard
as your are still fishing the thickest gnarl on the planet with a mh rod. my question is when are YOU going to step up to a better stick than that mh st crow??

i fish less gnarl and use a heavy action rod. both a 6'3'' and a 7 foot heavy action rod. now if i was fishing that gnarl you do i would up my line to 20 pound mono.as it is i am happy with using 12 pound mono.

zooker
Old 04-01-08, 10:39 PM   #19
WTL

I like braid cause I want to feel every little bit of that thump that the blades make...so that I know when either I've picked up some garbage on the blades or I can feel a miss. Plus the powerpro lasts longer than mono and I can use a stronger pound test. Zook is an artist with the blade so if mono works with him, great, but I need to cheat in such ways.
Old 04-02-08, 04:58 PM   #20
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Zook is an artist with the blade so if mono works with him, great, but I need to cheat in such ways.
brotha love done got me all a blushin now

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.