Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-26-04, 04:25 PM   #1
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.
Default HERES A TOUGH ONE!!!

Ok first off my I use mostly spinning reels, I suck with a baitcaster. My favorite line is Trilene XL 6lbs low vis green.(you cant see it. Its simply not there!) But then I ran into a 4 lbs bass that ran for heavy cover, just got him to the bank before my line snapped. So I went to a higher lbs test 8,10,and 12lbs trilene, But I didnt like the dia. so I went to a braid(spiderwire) it had the strength and dia. but it started to frey to fast, was more visible, and it doesnt handle like my mono. So I ask you gents, what line can I buy that will give my 17lbs test with a 6lbs dia. but still handles like a mono without losing stealth!!!?
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 04:32 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: HERES A TOUGH ONE!!!

[quote author=wvtroutdog@aol.com link=board=MessBoards;num=1101497116;start=0#0 date=11/26/04 at 14:25:16]Ok first off my I use mostly spinning reels, I suck with a baitcaster. My favorite line is Trilene XL 6lbs low vis green.(you cant see it. Its simply not there!) But then I ran into a 4 lbs bass that ran for heavy cover, just got him to the bank before my line snapped. So I went to a higher lbs test 8,10,and 12lbs trilene, But I didnt like the dia. so I went to a braid(spiderwire) it had the strength and dia. but it started to frey to fast, was more visible, and it doesnt handle like my mono. So I ask you gents, what line can I buy that will give my 17lbs test with a 6lbs dia. but still handles like a mono without losing stealth!!!?[/quote]

That's actually an easy one ;D FIRELINE, it's a FUSED line, and has no memory. However it does require maintenance, hjust like ALL lines including mono. But the fish won't break the 20lb test, unless it's the record LM, or you didn't check it, and it has no memory :-*

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 04:35 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

You can try cajun red line, disappears as well and has good line strength for the thin diameter. Â*Also you could use pwerpro line, way better than any other braid on the market. Â*I do not honestly feel that line visibility is a factor. Â*I've fished in gin clear water with Â*braided line and slayed them, and when I fished a tourney down here I was catching just as many bass w/o a mono leader as I was with one. Â* Don't use fireline either, its a bunch of junk.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 05:02 PM   #4
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive used Fusion line also reminds me of dental floss (spiderwire fusion) still have the freying problem, but it does handle like a mono.I lost my favorite jig in the Augusta channel using fusion. (Eakins crawfish with a salted tail KICKASS jig! Highly recomended) as far as visibility theres alot of fishing pressure in WV lakes, if a bass sees it he wont hit it. Not sure if its the same here in GA only been here for 3 weeks but low vis sure cant hurt.
Old 11-26-04, 09:49 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

simple get ya a spool of ande in 12 pound mono this is about all i use. a step up to 12 pound won't have that much dia .differance.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 11:13 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=wvtroutdog@aol.com link=board=MessBoards;num=1101497116;start=0#3 date=11/26/04 at 15:02:39]Ive used Fusion line also reminds me of dental floss (spiderwire fusion) still have the freying problem, but it does handle like a mono.I lost my favorite jig in the Augusta channel using fusion. (Eakins crawfish with a salted tail KICKASS jig! Highly recomended) as far as visibility theres alot of fishing pressure in WV lakes, if a bass sees it he wont hit it. Not sure if its the same here in GA only been here for 3 weeks but low vis sure cant hurt.[/quote]

Well Fireline isn't Spiderwire And I will try as best I can to describe why you need to cut off the last ten feet periodically. When using the line it does get "frayed" like braided. It will scape up, and start ball up as I like to say. Guess what, you just identified it needs to be looked at and possibly changed. Now with mono you will not notice it visually, and will have to check by feel. Well I trust my eyes better than the feeling in my fingers, trying to find a part of line that needs to be replaced. This is also a good time to tell you, that since the cost of the "SUPERLINES" is high, you want to put some inexspensive mono on first, so you won't need to fill the spool with the exspensive stuff. As a rule I will fill 1/2 of my spinning reels with mono, then the Superline. If you cast past 1/2 the spool, the casting is affected IMO. All lines require maintenance, even mono, and the one you lost may have been from a nick in the line you never noticed ???. Anyway, I guarantee you using 20lb test(which is 8lb mono dia.), if you keep it maintained, you will ruin your rod eyes before you get it to break. You stated that it works a lot like mono, well the BIG difference is strength, and memory. I do agree with HULAPOOOOOOOOPER(that's for the Fireline dig ) that the line being seen has no bearing on the fishing. Now of course yourself and many will disagree, so appease all of you, the solution here is to use a leader of the mono of your choice, probably Flourocarbon. But remember a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I swear by Fireline, and my second choice of line is PowerPro Braid. I prefer mono on cranks, and topwater, other than that, it's Fused or braided for me, especially with the sensitivity it gives you, and the easier hooksets I could go on, but most of the folks here are tired of me rantings

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 12:28 AM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Switched to power pro 30# and havent even thought about changing to anything else. The lines stiff at first but after some water time it begins to perform rather well. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 11:10 PM   #8
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

well ty all esp. you lizzards, never get tired of your rantings! except when someone asks want kind of bait to use, I think we all know your reply is a given! lol. I dont use live bait anymore but I love those crawfish, those bass HATE lizzards, they piss them off so bad I cant get'em in the boat. TY all Ill give it all a try, live and learn. I still love my mean green trilene, wish it was stronger

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.