Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-07-05, 05:22 PM   #1
large_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to large_mouth
Default commonly overlooked baits

i've noticed over the last few months that very few people around my area use baits such as 2"-4" twist-tail grubs, 1''-1 1/2" crankbaits, most swimbaits, in-line spinners, almost all lures that are "labeled" for salt water or for other fish species such as walleye, many of your 7"soft plastics. i have used all of these for "experimental" purposes and have found that all of them work exceptionaly well. the twist-tails work very well casting into beds where you cant get a bite out of most other lures. the small cranks work well around shallow structures such as a downed tree. the swimbaits work well for stubborn bass who wont bite off the bottom or are suspend. in-line spinners work exceptionatly well on drop-offs and even better with a trailer. most soft plastics that are labeled for salt water work well for fresh as well...and their more durable, and i find that most bass fishermen tend to stray away from baits labled or featuring walleye on the packaging. and your larger soft plastics seem to attract both larger bass and more strikes(i have had bass that look like they just hatched the previous year take lizards that were the same size as them), especialy on large bodies of water.im sorry, but sometimes it just agrivates me when i see people only using "what the pro's use". please tell me your opinions on some of the less popular lures out there, thanks.
large_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:31 PM   #2
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat
Default Re: commonly overlooked baits

The basic 3" grub on a jig head is something I think is overlooked a lot. They catch fish to.......
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:34 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

the 3'' grub and jig head gets plenty of saltwater trout and redfish for me 8) havnt had any success with them in fresh.....
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:38 PM   #4
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I think they work better sight fishing............ You see a fish you cast past it and bounce it off the bottom quickly and some times you will trigger a strike......... Works for me
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:42 PM   #5
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

walleye is big up here most use jig with mister twister tail works great i put them on a spiner bait for bass
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 06:00 PM   #6
large_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah, also a great lure for guys just starting out or even kids who fidget alot. plus, theres so many different ways to fish them and still get bites that it makes it an extremely versital bait.
Old 07-07-05, 08:41 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Alot of times the pros wont show you what they really use either, they have to keep the edge on the competition ..
I bet the 4 inch finesse worm is over looked by most
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 09:13 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a regular sized torpedo or and old favorite a 5/16oz dardevil spoon -like the black and white.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 09:25 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I used to be hooked on the tiny torpedo, thanks for reminding me zooker, I am going to tie it on next time out.
I never knew about that lure , one early morning at Indian Lake we were in this pool off the main lake and I had been throwing my pop R with mixed results, Tony pulled that torpedo and worked this rip rap exactly where I had been with other top waters ,and pulled out two nice keepers...that got me thinking lol
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 10:56 PM   #10
large_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

dont u hate it when that happens? i was working a downed tree for over a half hour with just about everything in my box and my friend comes over after i had given up and casts a solid white spoon into the same spot and pulled out 3 in the first 5 casts
Old 07-08-05, 09:20 AM   #11
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i think the inline spinner is way overlooked. ive caught alot of my big bass on them.
Old 07-08-05, 12:52 PM   #12
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Trout and salmon are popular up here as well as bass.

Inline spinners and spoons aren't mentioned too often on here, but they are popular up here because they can attract both trout and bass.

Fly fishing is also EXTREMELY popular up here. I'm surprised nobody really talks about it here... big flies catch nice bass up here as well as the trout, pickerel, striper, and salmon.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 02:49 PM   #13
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Rattle Trap around here is definately over looked because our water around here is loaded with weeds and algae..but these baits really catch fish....such as a bleeding rattle trap with red hooks ;D...also there is one BAIT that NO FISH CAN RESIST.....a regular ol' grass shrimp...take a live grass shrimp put it on a hook and you'll catch fish..you might catch alot of bluegills or something but bass will bite.
Old 07-08-05, 03:56 PM   #14
large_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

the fly fishing around here isnt too popular unless your talking to an avid trout fisherman. most of your large bodies of water either contain trout or bass, not both(excluding lake michigan...it has just about everything). on my last few days out ive also noticed that many people are timid to go out of a "comfort range" on soft plastics, especialy lizards. the smaller lizards do well for large bass who wont bite in shallow water and the HUGE lizards do better fishing along drop-offs. and delaware...i'll eat the shrimp before i fish with them.
Old 07-08-05, 09:00 PM   #15
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

You cant eat these shrimp but im the same way too about shrimp, crab legs, fish, etc, etc.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-05, 06:53 PM   #16
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

[quote author=klutz91 link=board=news;num=1120767722;start=0#13 date=07/08/05 at 14:56:38]the fly fishing around here isnt too popular unless your talking to an avid trout fisherman. most of your large bodies of water either contain trout or bass, not both(excluding lake michigan...it has just about everything). on my last few days out ive also noticed that many people are timid to go out of a "comfort range" on soft plastics, especialy lizards. the smaller lizards do well for large bass who wont bite in shallow water and the HUGE lizards do better fishing along drop-offs. and delaware...i'll eat the shrimp before i fish with them.[/quote]

they are not literally eating shrimp they are a max of 3/4 of an inch big and you can basically see right through em..unless your starving to death i wouldn't recommend eating them..and see..this is why i say that grass shrimp are overlooked!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.