Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-08, 08:02 PM   #1
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Line conditioner

I've watched Kevin's instructional video on line conditioners, and have used some with co-poly with positive results. With that being said, I'm a 100% braid man these days. At 1st I never gave the idea of using a conditioner on braid a 2nd thought as it's already soft and gets softer with each use. But would the use of a conditioner help decrease the friction during casting to increase distance? And would conditioner sprayed directly into each guide help to prevent icing in cold weather conditions come this early spring?
Old 12-08-08, 08:16 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I've watched Kevin's instructional video on line conditioners, and have used some with co-poly with positive results. With that being said, I'm a 100% braid man these days. At 1st I never gave the idea of using a conditioner on braid a 2nd thought as it's already soft and gets softer with each use. But would the use of a conditioner help decrease the friction during casting to increase distance? And would conditioner sprayed directly into each guide help to prevent icing in cold weather conditions come this early spring?
I would suggest only using KVD's Line and Lure conditioner when using braid. I use it and make sure that I put in on the line and each of the guides. I do it the night before I go fishing. It does help with casting. I also spray some on spinner bait skirts and anything like the skirts. It keeps the plastic from sticking to itself.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 01:37 PM   #3
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the stuff on my braid I think it makes it last longer
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 01:40 PM   #4
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
I use the stuff on my braid I think it makes it last longer
Getting Braid to last longer isn't a concern of mine. I change braid every 2-3 years as it's just too soft like a well worn flannel shirt. I'm thinking more of less friction through the guides for slightly longer casts, and less chance of tip wrap with Power Pro. Tip wrap was mostly eliminated with Sufix braid by going with 6 strands.
Old 12-09-08, 07:38 PM   #5
66KingFisher

I'd never heard of line conditioners till this year.....it seemed more like a gimmick to me when I first saw it used on a tv fishing show, but after reading more about it and listening to other anglers that use it, i'm beginning to think maybe, just maybe theres sumthin to the stuff....maybe one day I won't be able to stand it any longer and i'll break down and order a can.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 07:51 PM   #6
lowrider

66, order 2...and only the kvd kind. you won't regret it.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 08:00 PM   #7
66KingFisher

The KVD brand does seem to be what is recommended the most often.....our local Walmart only carries the Reelmate or whatever its called.....bout $8 can.....but i've been told to not waste money on it and just go with the KVD so thats prolly what i'll do.
Old 12-09-08, 09:19 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

66kingfisher, believe waht they say about wally world's brand. i got it...then some kvd. kvd is a world away from wally worlds.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 10:47 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

For the past four seasons, I have been using the ReelMagic. It works and I haven't seen a reason to change, although, it seems that the KVD stuff often gets the props (the KVD stuff was not on the market when I started using the Reel Magic).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:25 PM   #10
quenston

I hate to sound stupid and hope that I dont ask this question and it already been asked but will this work just as well on Fluro and Mono?
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:33 PM   #11
lowrider

flouro mono and braid.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:36 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

It works great on mono and fluoro as well as braid. The main thing that it helps with mono and fluoro is that it retards the memory of the line (helps take the loops out of the line).
Old 12-09-08, 11:39 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenston View Post
I hate to sound stupid and hope that I dont ask this question and it already been asked but will this work just as well on Fluro and Mono?
Yep. I especially use it on fluoro and mono.

66, I used Reel Magic until I tried the KVD Line and Lure. Now that is all I use. Definitely worth the investment IMO.
Old 12-10-08, 03:01 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

i used reel magic for quite a while before i bought kvd line and lure conditioner. reel magic does work, in fact it works pretty well. but kvd line and lure conditioner is hands down the best, and it's not much more expensive. while spooling line onto a reel i have my wife put tension on the line with a towel that has been sprayed with the line conditioner (the spool of line is in a bowl of hot water). then i spray the spools on my reels when they are filled with line. it also works on spinnerbait and jig skirts. had a reel one time that was on it's last leg, i mean it tried to quit working in the middle of the day. i sprayed it real heavy with the line and lure conditioner and it worked well enough to get me through the rest of the day (probably not reccomended even though it did work one time). the list of uses is pretty much endless..........well worth the $
Old 12-10-08, 11:14 AM   #15
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Smile

Hi Guys,
Fishermen in my travels have raved about each one of these products and never have used line conditioners but, really, which one is the Winner to purchase after this thread of many on the subject.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i used reel magic for quite a while before i bought kvd line and lure conditioner. reel magic does work, in fact it works pretty well. but kvd line and lure conditioner is hands down the best, and it's not much more expensive. while spooling line onto a reel i have my wife put tension on the line with a towel that has been sprayed with the line conditioner (the spool of line is in a bowl of hot water). then i spray the spools on my reels when they are filled with line. it also works on spinnerbait and jig skirts. had a reel one time that was on it's last leg, i mean it tried to quit working in the middle of the day. i sprayed it real heavy with the line and lure conditioner and it worked well enough to get me through the rest of the day (probably not reccomended even though it did work one time). the list of uses is pretty much endless..........well worth the $
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 07:13 PM   #16
bamabassman

kvd line conditioner.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 12:32 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kvd line conditioner.
yup, it's the best there is.
Old 12-11-08, 01:11 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Definitely worth the investment IMO.
That seems to be what I wonder the most about this product....Is the stuff really worth me buying?...."as a penny pinchin poorboy and a weekend angler, is a can of line conditioner "really" gonna make my fishing experience so much better that it'll justify the investment"?

Alot of folks sure seem to think so.........
Old 12-11-08, 01:26 PM   #19
quenston

Well to tell the truth I was skeptical when I first heard about line conditioner. Then I thought that I would try it and I bought the Wally World type and was not convinced and then I read alot of positive reviews here and elsewhere on the KVD brand, so I took a chance and got it, and I sure am glad that I did!!! Now I have one in every tackle bag that I have and 2 bottles in the boat! Well worth the investment!!!!

C-Rig I have never heard of putting the spool in hot water. What does that do? Don't laugh to hard I am still kinda new to the Bass Fishin.

Last edited by quenston; 12-11-08 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-11-08, 01:28 PM   #20
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
That seems to be what I wonder the most about this product....Is the stuff really worth me buying?...."as a penny pinchin poorboy and a weekend angler, is a can of line conditioner "really" gonna make my fishing experience so much better that it'll justify the investment"?

Alot of folks sure seem to think so.........

I am a weekend "angler" and a penny pincher as well. It has been worth the investment to me for these reasons:

BRAID advantages
- I do not get those cussin' tip snags that come when casting braid lines. 6 strand instead of 4 strand braid also helps with those.
- My casts are further when I use braid.

MONO advantages
- I don't have the loop memory when I fish with mono, so I have further casts and cover more area. This is very important when bank fishing.

LURE advantages
Skirts do not stick to each other, thus giving them the presentation to the fish they were designed for.

The main one for me is the tip snags since I fish braid a lot. Those stinkin' tip snags cause wasted time, sometimes cutting and retying hooks or lures, and just overall frustration. Stopping these tip snags was alone worth it to me.

Just spray it on the line at least 1 hour before you fish. I spray the guides when I get out of the car or when I start walking to the pond.
Old 12-11-08, 01:30 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Well to tell the truth I was skeptical when I first heard about line conditioner. Then I thought that I would try it and I bought the Wally World type and was not convinced and then I read alot of positive reviews here and elsewhere on the KVD brand, so I took a chance and got it, and I sure am glad that I did!!! Now I have one in every tackle bag that I have and 2 bottles in the boat! Well worth the investment!!!!

C-Rig I have never heard of putting the spool in hot water. What does that do? Don't laugh to hard I am still kinda new to the Bass Fishin.

My thought is that it softens the line up some and allows the conditioner to soak into the line more.
Old 12-11-08, 02:09 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
My thought is that it softens the line up some and allows the conditioner to soak into the line more.
yeah, it gets rid of a lot of line memory.
Old 12-11-08, 04:59 PM   #23
BassinBandit

I have used the KVD Line conditioner but I never used except when I would spool it on the reel. I will have to try using it on my reels the night before I go fishing. I dont know why I never thought of using that.
Old 12-11-08, 07:49 PM   #24
quenston

Wooooo Hooooo glad you all are here I am actually learnin stuff lmao
Old 12-12-08, 11:31 PM   #25
woody

Quote:
Wooooo Hooooo glad you all are here I am actually learnin stuff lmao
now that's fishin
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.