Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-08, 08:47 PM   #1
BaloneyTony
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for an ACTUAL floating rubber worm....anyone?

Ive been looking around for a longer worm that will float on the surface of the water when hooked. I bought a few packs of floating worms recently only to find that they just sink slower than regular worms haha. I usually use a swivel so I tried throwing just a hook and worm out, and it still sunk.

Do you guys know of any LEGIT 7" or so floating worms for topwater use? Thanks.

-Alex
BaloneyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well i have a few of the "floating" zoom lizards. heard of the floating worms, seen em a very long time ago. would love to find some too.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:13 PM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lunchmeat Anthony,

The ZOOM 7" Trick worm floats UNTIL you insert a hook (recommend light wire 3/0, such as Gamakatsu EWG) but you can work it seductively on top IF you use either plain high-quality (P-Line CX) mono or braid...NOT fluorocarbon or fluoro-coated line (P-Line FloroClear). Fluoro sinks readily, y'see. Keep your rod tip high and to the side and the worm in constant "dance" mode.
The Strike King 3X FLOAT7, virtually identical in appearance to the ZOOM, has higher floatability, but still needs a light wire hook, the same lines as above, and constant, though less frenetic, motion.
Now, look here:
http://www.genelarewlures.com/Crave/...ibbontail.html
This is not a straight tail worm, but an effective style to be sure. I've had zero experience with this particular worm but if the floating tubes from Larew (RIP, Gene.) are any indicator it might well be THE most bouyant. It won't cost you much to find out if this is so.
Remember that both the ZOOM Trick Worm, so well as the Strike King 3X clone thereof, will still wave it's tail seductively even with the nose at rest on the bottom.
If you DO opt to try the Strike King 3X (or any other super-stretchy soft plastic, either the 3x or the other brands that use the same stuff,) PLEASE be aware that you must NOT allow these to remain in contact with conventional plastics...EVER! Keep all such lures in their original bags or some other durable bag, perhaps the freezer-grade ZipLoc (the one with the double zipper) OR one of those similar bags that sliced sandwich meats come in.
Good Luck!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 05:36 PM   #4
zooker

deep creek lures

i have these eastern nc baits the 4" shakey head will stand a ball head up.. they make a killer 9" trick worm that will float very well

zooker
Old 06-19-08, 06:54 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

strike king makes a 3x worm that floats......or at least the use to i haven't seen 3x stuff around much anymore.
Old 06-19-08, 08:07 PM   #6
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
strike king makes a 3x worm that floats......or at least the use to i haven't seen 3x stuff around much anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
...The Strike King 3X FLOAT7, virtually identical in appearance to the ZOOM, has higher floatability, but still needs a light wire hook, the same lines as above, and constant, though less frenetic, motion...

...If you DO opt to try the Strike King 3X (or any other super-stretchy soft plastic, either the 3x or the other brands that use the same stuff,) PLEASE be aware that you must NOT allow these to remain in contact with conventional plastics...EVER! Keep all such lures in their original bags or some other durable bag, perhaps the freezer-grade ZipLoc (the one with the double zipper) OR one of those similar bags that sliced sandwich meats come in.
Good Luck!

Lancer6
If you'd read my previous post you'd have saved monitor ink

L6
Old 06-20-08, 09:27 AM   #7
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Strike King makes a Float worm kit. The worm comes in about 4 colors with some 5/0 hooks. It can be baught at wally world for like 10.95.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 11:36 AM   #8
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

use a lighter and smaller wire hook. Fish2win
Old 06-22-08, 11:04 AM   #9
3dkicker

I've got a custom plastics co. in Richmond that I work with that makes a true floating worm. If you want a custom color they can do it too. Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with them.
Old 06-27-08, 03:09 AM   #10
Zach_BassFisherman

Actually there is a floating worm kit that you can get at wally world, they seem to work for me, but I do have to use a smaller hook than normal.
Old 06-27-08, 10:24 AM   #11
doc

Doug hannons snakes float, and actually work really well carolina rigged. The extra weight actually makes them cast very well.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 10:37 AM   #12
Zach_BassFisherman

Do you know where I can get some of those snakes I have been wanting some
Old 06-27-08, 10:40 AM   #13
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_BassFisherman View Post
Do you know where I can get some of those snakes I have been wanting some
Online is the only place I know of. That is where I got mine. They are a bit pricey.

http://www.bassprofessor.com/
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 11:39 AM   #14
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i have some "bubble gum" rattlesnake worms.. they float they look pretty awesome with a split shot and a bulletweight on the line when you pop them in the water
Old 06-27-08, 05:57 PM   #15
BaloneyTony
BassFishin.Com Member

Basically the Doug Hannon snake is what im trying to find...but much smaller....and cheaper haha. Those snakes are like...11 inches and youre lucky if you catch a bass larger than 11 inches here...

Ive been using a floating jighead and a floating BPS worm and both of them DO completely float on the surface together...which looks really nice, but they dont have that coiling action of a snake
Old 06-27-08, 06:11 PM   #16
WTL

YOu need to find some of the 3x Baits. Thats what you are looking for. They were a big thing a couple years back, but didnt take that well. They really do float.
Old 06-27-08, 06:41 PM   #17
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
YOu need to find some of the 3x Baits. Thats what you are looking for. They were a big thing a couple years back, but didnt take that well. They really do float.
As stated, verbatim, in my post above:
"The Strike King 3X FLOAT7, virtually identical in appearance to the ZOOM, has higher floatability, but still needs a light wire hook, the same lines as above, and constant, though less frenetic, motion."

And, from the "Floating Hook" thread:
"One can shape styrofoam to serve the purpose. I took some round styrofoam rods, found at a craft store, cut them in lengths, shaped them into "Bullets" with help of coarse emery stick (borrowed from a lady.) and used them pegged ahead of floating T-rigged (light wire hooks!) worms. I also left some in their original cylindrical shape but dished the front. That gave me "popping bug" heads for the worms and those can be VERY effective, night or day, 'cause they give the impression of a small snake snapping at bugs or small baitfish on the surface. There were some nights on Medina Lake TX when I fished them under dock lights and WOW! Had some luck under moonlight as well.
You can color them with a marker and larger ones can still maintain bouyancy with a light spray of model aircraft/car paint.
Don't forget to peg 'em."

L6
Old 06-27-08, 07:40 PM   #18
WTL

Well yea Lancer, you get the cred, you're right. I just wanted to reiterate it. Everyone is talking about kits and stuff, just buy lures that float out of the package. I used to use the zulu flukes over hyrdrilla beds cause they were more buoyant and stayed out of the muck better.
Old 06-27-08, 11:17 PM   #19
mariner

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...10000_100-10-4heres what yall need
Old 06-28-08, 03:59 AM   #20
BaloneyTony
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea i almost bought those bullet floaters at BPS. Went with the jighead instead..

Do any of you guys know what the longest advertised 'floating worm' is? Do they make them in a 10.5 or 11 incher?
Old 06-28-08, 10:56 AM   #21
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Well yea Lancer, you get the cred, you're right. I just wanted to reiterate it. Everyone is talking about kits and stuff, just buy lures that float out of the package. I used to use the zulu flukes over hyrdrilla beds cause they were more buoyant and stayed out of the muck better.
Not seeking cred, Fred. It's just that there are so many instances on this and other sites when folks "fast-forward" to the end of a thread and post redundant info OR questions. I now understand what you were up to and that's kewl with me.
About those 3X lures, especially thick ones such as the fluke, they are misery to rig by comparison to regular plastics. On the other hand, with reasonable care, they ARE more economical in the long run.
Speaking of flewk-type lures; Have you used the little GULP ""Alive" softies? I've been wanting to but the cost and storage issues have prevented me from so doing.
Being Boatless Bank Trash I'm afraid I'd leave that $$$ jar of "Alive" in someone's barge and never see it again. My only semi-dependable host/partner dwelleth an hour's drive from here so it'd be a pricey trip to recover them. (Wait! He works here in SA! Problem partially solved!)

L6
Old 01-31-09, 10:37 PM   #22
skeeterman

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman

I like the zoom trick worm.
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 01:50 AM   #23
WTL

Jolly good show!
Old 02-01-09, 10:12 AM   #24
Mac2

If you have a worm that nearly floats as in your first post, here's one solution. Get a jar of Unscented Alboline.....rub a little between thumb and finger and then apply to the worm. It will melt on your thumb and finger turning to a liquid and treating the worm will make it float better. Since this is very nearly invisible when applied, you can also treat 4 or 5 feet of your line as well. Fly fishermen use this as a fly floatant and it's excellent. Since it's somewhat expensive, I use film canisters with the snap on lids a little over half full to put in the tacklebox for use, keeping the main supply jar in the garage.

Last edited by Mac2; 02-01-09 at 10:12 AM. Reason: omission
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 10:26 AM   #25
zooker

lancer
costly yes but dude do they ever work....

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.