Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-04-09, 04:57 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default how many rods do we really need?

i use four when i go out...2 BC and 2 spinning rigs
all different length ,lb test...yadda,yadda

I get enough coverage out of em......i think,lol.....my gear ratio is pretty high....so im looking to buy a good cranking BC and rod this year.......plus a jigging rod.....plus a new bc for the jigging rod,and .....GET AWAY FROM ME MONKEY (swinging stick)

so how many do you take with you when you go out?

(OFF TOPIC)
awhile back I read a compliant on a local fishing forum about a guy who went out to set up for some catfishing...he arrived at a well known spot at about 6am and there was 1 guy there who had set up 22 fishing poles for catfishing and taking up 90% of that area.......needless to say the guy who wrote the compliant chewed that guy out and called to report him......

i just wanted to share that story cause that seems completely ridiculous and retarded.......you need at least 30
Old 08-04-09, 05:17 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I recently added a jigging rod to my arsenal, but since I have no reel for it, I had to take the reel off my flippin' stick. so the jigging rod is pulling double duty as an all around flipping/pitching rod until the enough cash comes in for a Daiwa Aggrest.

Anyways, here's what I carry in the boat. When shore fishing. I normally take 2-4 rods and make do.

Baitcasting: 5
topwater, jigging (pitching/flipping), t-rig, crankbait, general purpose (normally has a spinnerbait tied on).

Spinning: 2
dropshot, general purpose (shakey head, small cranks, weightless worms, wacky rigs, etc.).

BB
Old 08-04-09, 05:21 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

3 is all I need.
Frogging
Cranking
Finesse
Old 08-04-09, 05:23 PM   #4
Bassboss

Way I see it:

1: Worm/jig rod (20-50lb braid; 6.2:1 gear ratio or higher)
1: Spinnerbait/buzzbait/top water rod (15-20lb mono; 6.4:1 gear ratio)
1: Crankbait rod (10-12lb mono; 5.6:1 or lower gear ratio)
1: If you fish swimbaits a lot, than on swimbait rod (17-25lb flouro; 5.6:1 or higher gear ratio)
1: frog/flippin rod/c-rigs (50lb or higher braid 6.3:1 or higher)
1: spinning rod (10lb flouro or mono 5.6:1 or higher)

So all you need if you use one rod for more than one thing, and you used leaders (for clear water), you only need 5, and if you fish swimbaits lots, than 6 of 'em!
Old 08-04-09, 05:25 PM   #5
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ussually 4 or 5, but my boat doesn't get out so I'm always in someone else's boat. If I got my act together and got my boat back into fishing shape, I would always have 11, and too much tackle, too!
Old 08-04-09, 05:28 PM   #6
Jim80

I take 4 out with me as of now , when the money dictates it I would like to add another 2 set ups .
But for now 3 bc 1 spinning

Jim
Old 08-04-09, 05:37 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I recently added a jigging rod to my arsenal, but since I have no reel for it, I had to take the reel off my flippin' stick. so the jigging rod is pulling double duty as an all around flipping/pitching rod until the enough cash comes in for a Daiwa Aggrest.

Anyways, here's what I carry in the boat. When shore fishing. I normally take 2-4 rods and make do.

Baitcasting: 5
topwater, jigging (pitching/flipping), t-rig, crankbait, general purpose (normally has a spinnerbait tied on).

Spinning: 2
dropshot, general purpose (shakey head, small cranks, weightless worms, wacky rigs, etc.).

BB
yea Im fishing the banks 75% of the time.....and four is a perfect number for me there..however,on a boat...its a different mentally....almost insane.

my spinning reels are set up for plastics and drop shots......
but my two BC are everything thing else....they work fine and catch and hook set no problem....but i feel i could do better presentation with faster tipped rods and lower gear ratio's for specific lures.....that and i want a good reason to explain to my wife why i need 5 to 7 full combos......
Old 08-04-09, 05:40 PM   #8
cassidyta

I usually take 7. 7'6" frog/jig rod with braid, 8 foot swimbait rod with 30lbs mono, 7'2" rod with 14lbs mono for plastics, 6'6" rod with 12lbs mono for topwater and spinners, 7' with 15 lbs flouro for cranks, 7 foot spinning combo with 6lbs for finesse/dropshot/smallest lures. 6 foot ultralight rod with 4lbs flouro.

Me and the monkey would like to see that the frog and jig setup become two different combos.
Old 08-04-09, 05:47 PM   #9
WTL

"In economics, diminishing returns (also called diminishing marginal returns) refers to how the marginal factor of production usually decreases as more of the factor is used. According to this relationship, in a production system with fixed and variable inputs (say factory size and labor), beyond some point, each additional unit of the variable input yields smaller and smaller increases in output. Conversely, producing one more unit of output costs more and more in variable inputs."

I wanted to post the wiki summary on the concept of diminishing returns cause thats whats at play here.

There is flat out a point that is either brought on by deck space, locker space or financial resources where adding a new rod just isn't the value it once was. What my goal has always been to do then is balance right on that cusp where the next additional rod would be more trouble than its worth.

For me right now the limit in my boat is 4 baitcasters, 1 spinning and one fly rod and all that is pretty crowded up. Really, I am decently covered as is for most normal fishing situations. Adding more rods would be dependent on niche situations, such as float n fly, swimbaits, perhaps throwing a rat, or maybe heavy overhanging cover that would nessesitate a short pistol grip. But normally, 1 flipping, 1 medium h casting, 1 medium casting, 1 light casting, 1 general spinning and a 7 wt fly rod do pretty good.

Old 08-04-09, 05:48 PM   #10
bassackwards

i take 6 to 9 i don't like to tie bates when im out
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 05:51 PM   #11
islandbass

At least 2, but usually 3 and sometimes 4. 2-3 can really cover much of the bass fishing gamut to be honest. The rest is luxury and convenience.

As a shorebound angler, I will take 4 at the most. I have learned that at times when I bring 4 two usually get used and the other two don't even see action.

1 spinning that covers drop shot and finesse (ML power)
1 spinning to handle heavier plastics like senkos and other t-tigs when I want a more vertical fall without wanting to pull line off (a peeve of mine) and some treble lures. (MH power)
1 casting to handle the trebles, cranks and topwater and lighter t-rigs (M power)
1 casting to handle jigs and t-rigs. (MH power)

That just about covers it for any scenario I face. Hardly if ever do I face super heavy cover.
Old 08-04-09, 06:06 PM   #12
crankybait

one M spinning to handle the plugs
a MH spinning for everything else...

yeah i just don't like casting and hate carrying a ton of equipment.
Old 08-04-09, 06:18 PM   #13
JerseyFisher

Good point WTL. Ha, I remember learning about that in my intro to econ class and never thought I would hear about it again.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 06:25 PM   #14
bamabassman

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh i hope the monkey ain't reading this. cuz he is gonna tear you a new one.

i am gonna tell the TRUTH. i NEED as many rods as i can afford to buy. reels too. baits and every other kind of gadget there is. jsut waiting to be able to buy them.
Old 08-04-09, 06:32 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh i hope the monkey ain't reading this. cuz he is gonna tear you a new one.

i am gonna tell the TRUTH. i NEED as many rods as i can afford to buy. reels too. baits and every other kind of gadget there is. jsut waiting to be able to buy them.
We should go halfsies on lotto tickets. Bama's and Michigans. JUST CAN'T FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-09, 07:14 PM   #16
nofearengineer

WTL is right on the money here...past a certain point, it's just wasted effort.

Currently, I bring:

Baitcasters:
Spinnerbait Rod - Braid (may switch back to mono)
Worm Rod - Hi-vis mono / fluoro leader for C-rigging / T-rigging
Jerkbait Rod - Fluorocarbon
Jigging Rod / Deep Cranking Rod - Mono (may switch to fluoro for pitching)

Spinning Rods:
Topwater / Light Cranking Rod - Mono
Drop Shot / Light Plastics Rod - Mono / Fluoro leader
General Trolling Rod - Mono - tired old reel...extending useful life (less retrieving!)

I'm done buying rods for a while...a new reel or two wouldn't be out of the question. Mostly, I've got to get to the point where I'm organized enough where I'm easily grabbing the right tool for the job. I'm pretty sure I'm close to having too many rods on deck.
Old 08-04-09, 07:14 PM   #17
keithdog

I usually go with 7 outfits, but there would be more if I had a larger boat. Seven outfits in a 12 foot jonboat along with all the other junk makes for a cramped boat.
2 casting 6 1/2 Medium 12# line for cranks/topwater
2 casting 6 1/2 MH 14 pound line for spinnerbaits
1 casting 6 1/2 MH high speed reel 7.0:1 for buzzbaits, and other suitable applications
1 casting 7 MH for flippin
1 casting 7 H for froggin and other HD applications
On occation I carry a 6 1/2 MH spinning reel when I have something special up my sleeve.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 08:42 PM   #18
Jigger

Usually 7 or 8 but like Alton Jones said, If you see me with a bunch of rods with different baits tied on I'm lost but if you look in my boat and see two rods with the same bait tied on in different colors-----watch out. Not an exact quote but something like that.

That's kind of the way I am. The more rods I have, the more likely I'm lost. If I've got 3 or 4 rods with me, I'm usually zeroed in.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 11:22 PM   #19
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Usually 7 or 8 but like Alton Jones said, If you see me with a bunch of rods with different baits tied on I'm lost but if you look in my boat and see two rods with the same bait tied on in different colors-----watch out. Not an exact quote but something like that.

That's kind of the way I am. The more rods I have, the more likely I'm lost. If I've got 3 or 4 rods with me, I'm usually zeroed in.
Thats pretty darn good, lol. I like that one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 11:29 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post

Haha....well, when I get zeroed in...I'll let you know. Maybe I can put some of my rods back in the locker, so I can at least look like I know what I'm doing.
Old 08-05-09, 12:13 AM   #21
carolina-rig-01

if i am pre-fishing a tournament the front deck of my boat usaully looks like this:

3 or 4 crankbait rods with a few deep divers and a few shallower crankbaits

3 jig rods, usually a mix of football and finesse jigs

2 topwater rods (depending on time of year) usually a buzzbait and a sammy or spook

1 or 2 flippin rods

sometimes there are other baits on the deck like spinnerbaits, t-rigs, or carolina rigs.

hopefully i am able to get a pattern together and clean a lot of these rods off the deck but that isn't always the case.
Old 08-05-09, 07:51 AM   #22
zooker

i have 8 most times in the boat..

3 cranking
da blade stick
1 jig rod
1 texas rig rod
1 top water rod
and the c-rig rod..

zooker
Old 08-05-09, 08:33 AM   #23
Mac2

2 spinning, one for finesse slow fall and deadsticking, one for dropshot,shakey and worming...both 6.5 MH
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 10:29 AM   #24
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i have 8 most times in the boat..

3 cranking
da blade stick
1 jig rod
1 texas rig rod
1 top water rod
and the c-rig rod..

zooker

Which one do you use for your swimbaits....LOL
Old 08-05-09, 12:52 PM   #25
Raul

How many rods ? well I only got two hands, one holds the rod the other turns the reel handle so the most rods I can handle with two hands is one rod.

So if you are on a tight budget but want to enjoy the sport you really only need one, one that you can use with the most baits and for most techniques.

But if you want and have the money to you can purchase a lot of rods each one to perform a specific task or for a specific bait.

How many I´ve got ? last time I counted I had 24 rods

How many I carry when on the boat ? normally 5-6

How many I carry when on the foot patrol ? 1
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.