Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-09, 01:25 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Phew!....alot of trail and error,but i got it done monday night....Im very happy with the outcome of it.....there's a few imperfections that happened with the final thread epoxy....we had a humidty of about 90% that night and i didnt take that into consideration..oops!...no big deal though, it still turned out great,just took forever to dry and i stopped the little electric motor turning the rod too soon..it still leveled out fine,just one or two little spots .....also what sucks is when i applied the color preserver,we started on the chrevon wrap first,turns out my dad's color preserver was old and expired...so it left it a little milky and splochy....got a new bottle and no problems on the rest.
needless to say his thread epoxy was old too

forgive the pics (phone) i couldnt get a better pic of the chevron wrap....the pattern is 2-2-3-2-2..(bigbassin,lol)

over all Im pretty proud of it,it was alot of cussing and scaring my dogs.....but i learned alot of lessons/tricks to make the next one easier...

7' MH med-fast tip....the grip is 10'' dead on,from the reel seat to the butt,and feel extremely light and well balanced.

i gotta take better pics....these arent doing it justice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod1.jpeg
Views:	639
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	4261   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod2.jpeg
Views:	652
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	4262   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod3.jpeg
Views:	657
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4263   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod4.jpeg
Views:	586
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	4264   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod5.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	4265  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rod6.jpeg
Views:	551
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	4266   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod7.jpeg
Views:	630
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	4267   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod8.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	4268  
Old 09-23-09, 01:43 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man, that looks awesome. The green and purple really make a great looking combination. The rods will get easier with each one you make.

For me, a 10" handle is the perfect length. I thought it was longer, must just be in the pictures.

A curado would look good on that rod. Oh wait, one of these:

BB
Old 09-23-09, 02:11 PM   #3
nofearengineer

That looks amazing, Waffle. Great job! I have to ask...how much did the materials for that rod cost? Account for some cost for the materials you got for free. In other words, how much would I have to spend to build myself a custom rod similar to that?
Old 09-23-09, 02:33 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

bigbassin-thanks man..yea the handle does look alot longer in the pics..and i agree,i love that length
i gonna re-take the chevron wrap photo with my wife's camera (nikon d100)
that just looks way too muddy(shaking head)

that shimano would look KILLER!!! on this.....nice find!

Nofear-the total cost was about $76 bucks....the flexcoat color preserver and final thread epoxy is about another $14ish
rod blank -$39.99
guides-fugi-about $1.50 each ....total 7 guides
fuji tip was i think around $2.00 or 3
reel seat was around $6.00
3'' cork handle and a 7'' cork handle i think was around $14 together
the thread was about $3 a spool
i used a two part golf club epoxy for the handle and reel seat...the epoxy they use to connect metal to metal...dont know the cost...probably $7-10
thats a rought estimate from what i remember....i do know the final cost was about $76 total,plus around $14 for the flexcoat products.
it gets expensive fast,but building your own rod is pretty damn fun,and you know the quality thats in it.

on mudhole.com....they have thier own brand of blanks (IM6/lifetime warranty) for like $16.00!!....and you can get that in 6'6 or 7' etc.
and i gurantee thier probably identical to what i used...for less than half the cost....thats what im ordering for the next one!
Old 09-23-09, 02:43 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Nofear, by far, the most expensive part is the equipment when you're just starting out.

For example, you'll need a rod wrapping station. You can buy a cheap kit for about 35 bucks. But you can also get a pro one for like 400.

Here's a list of prices I talked to bassboss about on PM.

35-200 - Price of Blank
21 - set of 9 Fuji Alconite Guides (9 is good for a 6'6" -7' rod)
5-6 - Fuji SiC tip. (I wouldn't put anything but SiC on the tip)
15 - handle kit (a lot more trouble/cost of you build you own handle from cork rings)
4-6 - reel seat (if you're kit doesn't include one)
2 - per spool of thread, I'd normally use 2-3
2 - 1oz bottl eof color preserver. (most threads nowdays have it built in, but I'd use it anyways)
13 - 24cc epoxy kit for guides. (comes with enough epoxy for a rod, brush, mixing cup)
35-450 - Rod wrapping station. (here's a link for the $35 kit: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-wra...471300002.aspx)
20-70 - epoxy dryer turny thing (they're like 72 bucks if you buy one, but I'd think an electrical engineer coul build one with a small electrical motor for around 20 bucks. hell, even my dad and I did.) (if you went with the $450 rod wrapping station, you won't need one of these)

if you built your own handle:
3.79 - 10 pack of 1/2" cork rings. (you'll need 3 packs for a 10" handle and 2" forgrip and have a couple extra rings in case you break one)
? - epoxy. (any 2 part epoxy will work, I used Devcon since it is what I had)
? - butt cap (unless you plan on making your own out of cork... I'd just buy one)
4-6 - reel seet
25+ - cork reamer. you may think you can do it with a round wood file, but you can't, lol. (the good ones are like 20-25 each, but you can get a set of 4 cheaper ones for 25.)
? - If you didn't go with the expensive rod wrapping stations with a motor, you'll need access to a lathe to shape your cork handle.

Your first one with all the equipment is gonna be expensive. but it's fun and rewarding. it's probably worth it if you'll be making more than 2 or 3.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 09-23-09 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Fixed Link.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 02:46 PM   #6
BigBassin144

For the blank, I'd use Rainshadow, available at Net Craft. They're quality blanks, similar to BPS extreme rods I believe.

But if you want to go all out, get a Loomis. Net craft still has them available, I just don't know for how long since Loomis is no longer selling their blanks.

BB
Old 09-23-09, 03:06 PM   #7
1/4 stick

That looks great man!
Old 09-23-09, 03:10 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

yea as bigbassin said you need a rod building jig..forgot that part,lol..thier not that hard to build yourself,the concept is extremely simple...im designing my own....my dad's isnt bad,i just have my own ideas for my set-up.....we're all different,right?

alot of jigs offer a spring system to keep tension on the thread.....a poor man's verion is to use a heavy book,lol...with a smooth side so you dont fray the thread

I plan on sticking with cheap blanks for practice(the next two) then possibly moving on the a better,more sensitive blank inthe future...

the only other advice i can think of....MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TONS OF WORK SPACE!!!!
i did most of the work on my 8' poker table,and still had problems with room (it was close to the wall)
Old 09-23-09, 03:15 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Thanks for the breakdown, BB144. I'll add that to my list of "things I really, really want to do, yet may never find time to do."

Man, I am a craftsman at heart though. I would love to have 7 or 8 rods all with the same look, but different qualities. Kinda like my own Mojo Bass line haha.

I could rig up a rod wrapping station easy (by the way, your link doesn't work for some reason). I plan on moving a lot of my stuff from my garage to my spare bedrooms and getting a table saw, a band saw, drill press, lathe, etc. At that point, I will be able to build stuff again.
Old 09-23-09, 03:18 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

oh the little motor we used is a little bbq motor....you want it to turn really slooooow....and it works fantastic!!...has a little wooden dowel attched to it,and then i just masking tape the butt to that,and let it sit and spin on the jig....you have to keep the rod level when you do this...
Old 09-23-09, 03:33 PM   #11
BigBassin144

I fixed the link.

My dad also built his own wrapping station. It's set up fairly similar to the real expensie ones from Net Craft, but it's all wood.

BB
Old 09-23-09, 05:34 PM   #12
Bassboss

HOLLY CRUD!!

That's a sweet looking rod waffle! Simply amazing, I love the color, looks of it (love the way the cork looks), and everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey man, that looks awesome. The green and purple really make a great looking combination. The rods will get easier with each one you make.

For me, a 10" handle is the perfect length. I thought it was longer, must just be in the pictures.

A curado would look good on that rod. Oh wait, one of these:

BB

Ya, there we go BigB! That pixy would be perfect for him!

Quote:
"things I really, really want to do, yet may never find time to do."
lol, same here! As you can tell by what big said, I've been looking into it myself, but like I said, it's on the same list! lol!

Quote:
oh the little motor we used is a little bbq motor....you want it to turn really slooooow....and it works fantastic!!...has a little wooden dowel attched to it,and then i just masking tape the butt to that,and let it sit and spin on the jig....you have to keep the rod level when you do this...
Good idea , I've got one of them too, that would work perfect!

Last edited by Bassboss; 09-23-09 at 05:42 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 05:50 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

bassboss,
thank you and everyone else for the compliments.....i really enjoyed making it,and now that i know what im doing,and im looking even more foward to the next build...
this rod deserves a special reel...Im not gonna put a max on it,lol..Im think im going to pick up a HS pro qualifier in the next few weeks for it....i need to go to BPS and play with the $100 dollar reels again....maybe a REVO S,but im spoiled with magnectic braking
Ive been working a little overtime to feed the monkey.
Old 09-23-09, 06:06 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
bassboss,
thank you and everyone else for the compliments.....i really enjoyed making it,and now that i know what im doing,and im looking even more foward to the next build...
this rod deserves a special reel...Im not gonna put a max on it,lol..Im think im going to pick up a HS pro qualifier in the next few weeks for it....i need to go to BPS and play with the $100 dollar reels again....maybe a REVO S,but im spoiled with magnectic braking
Ive been working a little overtime to feed the monkey.
No problem man, it's a good rod after all!

But I'd put on a daiwa Teirra on there, it's just a better reel IMO. Just from the stats and reviews. But ya, a Revo S would look pretty good on there too, but a curado, would look best IMO!
Old 09-23-09, 06:08 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
.i need to go to BPS and play with the $100 dollar reels again....maybe a REVO S,but im spoiled with magnectic braking
Bah...go whole hog and get an STX. Then you won't have to choose between centrifugal and magnetic braking.
Old 09-23-09, 06:25 PM   #16
WaffleJaw

I got to see how this over-time pans out...I even started showing up on time too,haha!
STX is still on my list..i can still hear that tension knob ''clicking'' (shivers).
Well see what that budget is....a STX and an angry wife may be feasible.
Old 09-23-09, 07:10 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Bassboss, that reel (which I do think would look great on the rod) is a Daiwa Alphas.

But since an STX is a maybe price wise, I'll stop suggesting $300 JDM reels.

BB
Old 09-23-09, 08:35 PM   #18
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man for a first time rod build that rod looks awesome.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 08:43 PM   #19
TnTom

Real Nice,
Are you familiar with Rodbuilders.org? Check it out if not. Great tips and plenty of expert advice. Its a must for rod builders.

A tip that really made a difference for me in the over all asthetics and I'm sure from the quality appearance of your build that youve been on top of it is to always double check the packing on your wraps. Even when I see no gap I continuously pack during and when the wrap is finished. Seems like thread isn't always as packed as it appears at a glance. It really shows up AFTER the epoxy is applied if there is the slightest gap. Its just one of those things that sneak up on you and can really let the wind out of your sails when it happens.
I built my rod wrapper for under $25.00 using some scrap wood in my shop and a little hardware. The thread tension is adjusted by small coil spring and a turn or two against it.

This one will extend out to handle a 9' rod. I use tv tray tables and can reposition if I need when Im work.

Dont mean to be getting too long winded. Just one more thing. Drying motor -I use two one is 6rpm the other is 12rpms. If I have a long butt wrap I'll use the slower. Prevents the epoxy from flowing to the center and keeps it nice and flat. Usually never longer than 2 hours and I shut it off. I do not rotate until its dry. If you haven't put on too much it will not sag

Whats your next build?

If you ever get thinking about using titanium guides they tend to be expensive and are noisy with braid. The are very durable.

Great looking rod. How about some more pics.

Tom
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 09:44 AM   #20
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Real Nice,
Are you familiar with Rodbuilders.org? Check it out if not. Great tips and plenty of expert advice. Its a must for rod builders.

A tip that really made a difference for me in the over all asthetics and I'm sure from the quality appearance of your build that youve been on top of it is to always double check the packing on your wraps. Even when I see no gap I continuously pack during and when the wrap is finished. Seems like thread isn't always as packed as it appears at a glance. It really shows up AFTER the epoxy is applied if there is the slightest gap. Its just one of those things that sneak up on you and can really let the wind out of your sails when it happens.
I built my rod wrapper for under $25.00 using some scrap wood in my shop and a little hardware. The thread tension is adjusted by small coil spring and a turn or two against it.

This one will extend out to handle a 9' rod. I use tv tray tables and can reposition if I need when Im work.

Dont mean to be getting too long winded. Just one more thing. Drying motor -I use two one is 6rpm the other is 12rpms. If I have a long butt wrap I'll use the slower. Prevents the epoxy from flowing to the center and keeps it nice and flat. Usually never longer than 2 hours and I shut it off. I do not rotate until its dry. If you haven't put on too much it will not sag

Whats your next build?

If you ever get thinking about using titanium guides they tend to be expensive and are noisy with braid. The are very durable.

Great looking rod. How about some more pics.

Tom
those TV trays work great dont they?..lol...thats what i used when i finished this up...and no,Ive never been to that site but i will definitely check it out.
I packed those strings like a champ..lol .my thumbnail was hurting...the only thing that sucks,is i used all metallic thread..and trying to pack the trim rings on the chevron wrap was a pain...the top thread was digging into the underwrap making it a pain,and alot of re-do's.
i left it on that motor for about 2.5 hours....but i didnt think about our high humidity that night....but luckily,only one guide formed a little ''belly'' on it...everything else stayed pretty even.
I use a very small pallette knife to spread the epoxy....i didnt use a brush because i know how bristles can sneak into your work.
however,on the next one,ill probably use a brush because ill be more comfortable with it,and control the amount of epoxy better....
the next two builds will be 6'6 on cheaper IM6 blanks.
Im going to build one with a red/black/silver
and then Im thinking black/blue/white on the third.

make em easy to idenify on the boat.....or shore,which i do most fishing on.
the next one will be a multi purpose rod.
the one after,im going to try a crankbait.
another split grip,and then a striaght handle.

and i plan on redoing the pictures on this one very soon for y'all to view,these just did not turn out well
Old 09-24-09, 12:06 PM   #21
rodnreel

Nice job, Waffle. That rod is looking pretty sweet! I wish I could get into something like this, or making lures. Sounds like fun and I bet it's rewarding catching fish on something you made. I just don't have the time or money right now to invest in all the materials and tools. Congrats, though, hopefully you catch a ton on it.
Old 09-24-09, 12:52 PM   #22
islandbass

I'm late to this party, but excellent job Waffle! Rod building is something I'd like to try some time soon. I mean, shoot... If I can make a crankbait.

I will bet a floating Rapala Minnow that Nofear is probably going to relish the idea of making any apparatus or jig to assist him with rod builing himself.

TnTom, I appreciate your advice. Also glad to see I am not the only one using those little tables, and I even have a glorified coat rack, uh, I mean tread mill too.
Old 09-24-09, 02:10 PM   #23
66KingFisher

Man, that makes me want to build a couple of rods.....I've been collecting info for awhile now on building a rod wrapper and I've gathered enough material to do it with exception of motors....just gotta sit down a build the silly thing....lol...most likely it'll be this winter before that happens.....Nice work Waffle...let us know how it fishes.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 02:49 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys....Man I encourage anyone to try it,I will help anyone wanting to start a rod.Those little tips I got along the way made a world of difference in the build.

Islandbass-I use my chin-up bar as coat rack
Old 09-24-09, 03:53 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Tom, nice looking set up. I don't have any pictures of ours or I'd put them up.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.