Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-12-10, 08:10 PM   #1
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbass
Cool Spinning Rods vs Baitcasters

OK so i am back with more questions After looking at every website and catalog i could get my hands on , and i am wondering how many of you guys fish with a spinning rod ? I find that my spinning rod is m ore comfortable in my hands and i am more accurate . Aside from the faster retrieve with a baitcaster, are there any other pros and or cons i should consider when i am looking at what kind of pink rods to buy.
Old 01-12-10, 09:00 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use both, depending on the task. I also think using spinning gear feels more comfortable and I think that it has to do with most of the under the rod as opposed to being on top and to one side as it is on a casting set up.

The faster retrieve or more accurately, line recovery rate of casting reels, contrary to popular belief, is not usually higher on a casting reel. For example we call a burner casting reel like a curado 7:1 a high speed reel. It recovers about 30" of line at optimum capacity. A bass sized spinning reel, like a symetre in the 2500 size has a gear ratio of about 6.x:1 but yet it recovers over 30" of line? How so? It has a bigger spool and can therefore recover more line per revolution of the handle. So which is the real burner?

For the most part, the a many applications for bass fishing that both spinning and casting reels can do quite well. And then, there are others in which one might shine over the other.

Even if the spinning rod is more comfortable in your hands, I would recommend getting familiar with a casting setup. A well rounded angler (and I don't mean like my gut), is going to be adept in using both.

I am also glad to see that you have figured out that accuracy is not determined by the reel used but by the angler.

Pros for casting
It can handle heavier lines much better - Try using 17# mono on a 2500 sized spinning reel! It can also better handle lines that are stiffer and more wirey.
There is no induced twist from the reel. Maybe the lure in use, but not the lure.
They're a blast to use.

Cons
They can take a while to learn for some. Not so much since reels these days are easier to learn with.
Most casting reels suffer at casting lighter weights. While the angler and rod and line used can have something to do with it, there is a limitation. Not all casting reels are equal either.
One bird's nest at the wrong time on the water and that reel could be done for the day. It might help to bring a spare spool of line.

Pros spinning
They are very easy to learn and master.
They can handle lighter lines with ease.
They can provide a more vertical drop of the lure without the need to pull line off the reel. This is why I prefer a spinning setup for lighter weighted drop shotting. Convenient.

Cons Spinning
Line twist is inherent. You can't get rid of it, but you can reduce it. How? Make sure there the line is not loose before you start to recover line. This is the key to minimizing line twist. Also, closing the bail manually helps. Never start recovering line when you know there is slack in it. I also let the let rest after every 10-20 casts. This also helps.

There is obviously more to be said, but this is the skinny.

I wouldn't mind adding a pink rod to my arsenal. I like the color pink and won't hesitate to wear a pink shirt or fish with a bubble gum pink senko. My daughter picked a pack of senkos and I one them to prove that they wouldn't work and caught two 4 lb bass on two consecutive casts. The first was T-rigged and it got mangled so I wasky rigged the same senko and caught another bass. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't breathe. There must be something to pink.
Old 01-12-10, 10:50 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a bait caster 85% of the time. I only use a spinning reel when I'm finesse fishing or using a really light bait.
Old 01-14-10, 10:18 AM   #4
finesseman2
BassFishin.Com Member

Like someone said b4 it is good to use both...like anything they both have their positives and negatives....spinning gear is great for finnese fishing and using around cover but if you want to go where the big ones are you have to try the baitcaster and flip your plastics in the nasty stuff it has alot more power due to the gears to crank the big ones in...in the end its all about what you like and what kind of fishing you are doing i know alot of guys who just use spinning gear and are happy with with it...hope this helps pfleuger makes some nice spinning gear and its not that expensive...

Last edited by finesseman2; 01-14-10 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
finesseman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 01:38 PM   #5
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbass View Post
OK so i am back with more questions After looking at every website and catalog i could get my hands on , and i am wondering how many of you guys fish with a spinning rod ? I find that my spinning rod is m ore comfortable in my hands and i am more accurate . Aside from the faster retrieve with a baitcaster, are there any other pros and or cons i should consider when i am looking at what kind of pink rods to buy.
Faster retrieve with a baitcaster ......... uhhhh, nope, "burner" baitcasters pick 30-31" of line per turn of the handle, most medium size spinning reels pick more than that.

Accuracy ? accuracy is something you gain with practice spinning or baitcasting.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 02:04 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would say the general statement of baitcaster for heavy baits and spinning reels for light baits is pretty true.

As far as accuracy, I think the baitcaster has more potential for pinpoint accuracy. Potential. However, most anglers probably never fulfill 100% of the potential of their gear. And I can still chuck a spinning reel very accurately. Practice is more important for accuracy than hardware, unless you're an absolute perfectionist.
Old 01-14-10, 02:21 PM   #7
AUFred

I find the drag system on baitcasters is more reliable.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:52 AM   #8
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There are light baitcasters and heavy spinning outfits, but in my mind baits of 1/4 ounce or less handle best on a spinning rod. With baits of 3/8 of an ounce and up, I prefer to use a casting rod.

This is a case of using the right tool for the job. Cranking deep diving crankbaits is a wrist breaker on a spinning rod, but tossing a weightless Senko worm is a pleasure.
PS:
All the pink, or pink trimmed, rods and reels I have seen are low-end units. Accessorize with pink if you like, but avoid the gimmicks. Whether it's shoes and cloths, or cars and fishing tackle, the "good stuff" has clean lines subtle accents and no extraneous decoration.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 12:11 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Whether it's shoes and cloths, or cars and fishing tackle, the "good stuff" has clean lines subtle accents and no extraneous decoration.
Garry2rs
I agree with you wholeheartedly here, Garry, although taste is certainly subjective. I usually find myself scratching my head when it comes to the popular culture and its never-ending quest for more ostentatious bling.
Old 01-15-10, 12:12 PM   #10
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

Pink fishes pink mostly because of breast cancer awareness and now with Kevin Short fishing pink maybe it will take off.
She has a real good handle on fishing i hope she stays with it.
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:10 PM   #11
buzbait88
BassFishin.Com Member

For me, I'm much more accurate with a baitcaster. I can control the speed of the lure with my thumb to slow it down when necessary. A spinning rod doesn't really have that power and it doesn't seem as powerful to me. I use a baitcaster anytime I'm in heavy cover, throwing big baits or around grass. Open water with finesses techniques I'll use a spinning rod, but very seldom.
buzbait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 10:07 AM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishen green View Post
Pink fishes pink mostly because of breast cancer awareness and now with Kevin Short fishing pink maybe it will take off.
She has a real good handle on fishing i hope she stays with it.

BPS has a pink tackle bag if she's in the market for one
Old 01-16-10, 11:29 AM   #13
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I have found some great bags that are practical and just happen to be pink and support a great cause. I love fishing but i figure if i can fish AND help out then i get even more excited about it. But i will check the BPS site......i love their stuff.
Old 01-16-10, 05:04 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbass View Post
I have found some great bags that are practical and just happen to be pink and support a great cause. I love fishing but i figure if i can fish AND help out then i get even more excited about it. But i will check the BPS site......i love their stuff.

Me too. Except for the pink bags haha
Old 01-17-10, 01:47 AM   #15
Rebbasser

In general you can fish heavier cover and heavier baits with baitcasters. You can use heavier lines as well. I use both, but use batcasters for 95% of my fishing.
Old 01-17-10, 08:14 PM   #16
muddy

When they fall over board they sink at the same rate, Hope this is helpful
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 08:20 PM   #17
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Well after checking and rechecking many websites and following up on the leads ya'll gave me i have decided.......I am gonna fish with my 1 bait caster and a few new spinning rods, and before i am finished i will have a boat full of the St Croix and custom rods. I just need to pick the winning powerball numbers first. heheheheh
Old 02-07-10, 12:19 AM   #18
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

At Gander and Dick's I've seen Pflueger has pink combos in the Trion series, in support of breast cancer. They have both spinning and baitcasting, and I may be wrong, but the rod handles seemed to be designed with a woman's smaller hand in mind.

Spinning (Trion Series)
http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/produ...ducts.php?p=81

Casting (Endeavor Series?
http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/produ...ducts.php?p=78

Last edited by MN Bass Man; 02-07-10 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added links
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 01:31 AM   #19
everettvet

I use a baitcasting reel 85% of the time. I think a spinning reel has its place with finesse techniques.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 12:57 AM   #20
basstech

Personally I like using spinning gear as much as I do casting, I don't just use them for "finesse" techniques" but as someone stated earlier "trying spooling 17 lb. test on a 2500" for that matter try spooling a 4000 with it. Unless it's braid, you'll spend more time untangling line than you will fishing. As for acuracy, no one will ever convince me that you can make as accurate or as quiet a presentation with spinning gear. Many of the common techniques used in bass fishing are much better suited to baitcasting gear, but most of them were developed on baitcasting gear. Skipping is one that is not however, and pitching (espeacially at a distance) is not real well suited to spinning gear, not that either can't be done with the other kind of equipment. Two more Pro's with spinning gear however is better sensitivity and more power is delivered to the hook on a hookset.
Old 02-08-10, 01:01 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
Two more Pro's with spinning gear however is better sensitivity and more power is delivered to the hook on a hookset.
I'm not really sure what you are saying here. Could you expound a little?
Old 02-08-10, 07:35 AM   #22
basstech

If you were to use the same rod blank, line, and bait, that you can feel the bottom structure and detect the bites better with spinning gear. Why that is, I don't know. Maybe you being an engineer you could explain that. It could be my perception as well as my having taken several pro's word for it when they've made that statement as well. I guess context in what your doing should also be taken into account but even rogue fishing I do feel the bites better. Crankbaiting there may not be any difference. As far as power transferrence in the hookset, that was something the guy who taught me how to build rods had told me when we were discussing the topic. I'm not sure where he picked up that bit of info. I think he got that from Gary Loomis, but that was twenty years ago so I don't necessarily remember.
Old 02-08-10, 11:19 AM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
Maybe you being an engineer you could explain that. It could be my perception as well as my having taken several pro's word for it when they've made that statement as well.
That's just it. I can't think of any scientific principle here that would make the type of reel the determining factor as far as sensitivity or hookset power goes.

As far as sensitivity, I think it might have something to do with the tendency for anglers to use lighter line and gear in general when using spinning tackle. This would definitely be a more sensitive approach, but it wouldn't have to do with the type of tackle, just the weight.

Regarding hookset power, I wouldn't think it makes a whit of difference, as long as both reels are strong. Again, many baitcasters have stronger drags and overall construction than spinning reels. But, I would try to differentiate between long-term durability and one-time hooksetting power here. In that sense, they should perform identically.

Basically, fishermen are a tinkering bunch, and love detailed, psuedo-scientific theories as to why things work and which things work better than others. Unfortunately, most don't stick to solid scientific principles when analyzing the physics (a la spiral-wrapped rods...an interesting approach, but erringly credited with solving torque-related wrist pain...something that would defy the laws of physics).
Old 02-08-10, 11:49 AM   #24
lilmule

While light works better for spinning and heavy for baitcasters thats a general rule,drop shotting its spinning except heavy weights,yes but in flipping and pitching its not always the baitcaster as a spinning outfit skips under docks much better
The old c rig isnt well suited for the average spinning outfit,yet the spinning outfit can be used in frogging,with the correct rod and correct gear ratio for the application its quite versatile.
I use them a lot for jerkbaits,and mostly baitcasters for the rest but not all think its more of a personal preference,when it comes to much of the fishing we do.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:55 AM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nofear, why I can't understand why spinning gear would be more sensitive, but I have heard that a couple times before. I've heard it has something to do with how the guides are set up and how the lines touches them compared to a trigger rod.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.