Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-15-10, 11:52 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Ever called your shot?

What I mean is have you ever made a cast at a particular piece of cover and KNOWN you were going to catch a fish before you even made the cast?

I've done it twice, both interestingly enough on spinnerbaits(the spinnerbait thread triggered the thought).

The first time I was fishing an abandoned gravel pit. I noticed this basketball sized rock by itself amd said to myself "There is a fish on that rock and I'm going to catch it". There was and I did.

The second time was in a runoff collecting pond after a heavy rain. the water looked like chocolate milk-I mean NO visibility. I was standing on a short retaining wall and about 10 feet out was a clump of hydrilla, the only visible cover. I just knew there was a fish on it and it would hit a spinnerbait. The four pounder proved me right.
Old 02-16-10, 12:02 AM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ha. I do this just about everytime I go fishing. Me and my cousins sometimes put wagers on whether or not we will be right or not.
Old 02-16-10, 12:21 AM   #3
MIbasser

I've done it a few times. Once was in a tournament last year I made a bad cast with a frog and actually had a fish hit and miss it. Well, the next day I went to the same spot and tossed a wacky rigged senko to the same area and on the first cast caught the fish (ended up getting my limit with that fish). The other time I was bed fishing and it was windy so I was unable to see the bed or the fish but knew the log was behind it. I told my partner to cast over the log and bring it back and he'll catch the fish. Well, he wasn't good at casting and missed about 10 times in a row. So he lets me try and first cast put a nice smallie in the boat.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 01:29 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Well, I think I'm gonna catch a fish with every cast. I'm wrong about 99.9% of the time, but hey....totally baseless optimism is the only thing that keeps me fishing.
Old 02-16-10, 01:31 AM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sort of... the 16" 2.5 lb I caught I knew I was going to catch, just wasn't sure when or which cast or even how big he was since had been messing with my lures for a while... I got him on second day and maybe 5th cast...

And nofear, I am the opposite, I know I am NOT going to catch anything so when I do it is a nice surprise
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 02:13 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am like NFE on this one Reb. I call a fish everytime I fling a bait. There have been a few times though where you thread the needle and you just know it is game time and bang, fish on.
Old 02-16-10, 08:36 AM   #7
Bob Smith

I've done it several times myself, but never when the money was on the line! (darn it!). It does happen though, you just see that certain set up and instinctively know the time, the place, the bait, everything is in sync, and BAM!
Old 02-16-10, 08:46 AM   #8
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't wanna seem to cocky,. all the time and every time. I aim for the rock, SNAG THE ROCK, I aim for the dock HANG UP ON THE DOCK, aim for the blow down SNAG THE blow down, I call em out loud , usually hang up first cast!
Whats the big deal?
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 09:54 AM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Haha..I have blown minds doing this to my brother,cousin and others. Even after I give them 1st shot at a target.
Old 02-16-10, 10:08 AM   #10
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

This summer in a tournament my partner and i were pitching wacky senkos in to holes in the grass. I said "give me your frog rod Hughes" (Futurepro22). Second cast a 4lb 8oz inhaled the frog. That fish won lunker and was the fish that ended up putting us in 2nd place over all out of 78 boats. I kept saying all day "hows bout that for calling your shot". Its one of my favorite fishing memories.
Old 02-16-10, 10:13 AM   #11
AUFred

I think we all have been in the boat with a good friend and called a shot. I enjoy fishing with people who cast well. I need to practice more to be able to put it where I want every time. The calling a fish on a particular cast that feels magical.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:54 AM   #12
MississippiBoy

I've done it once, but I don't know if it really counts, because I was throwing a Spook into a school of baitfish getting busted on the surface. Almost like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 02-16-10, 10:59 AM   #13
BassinNC

Yeah I have called a few. Most of the time I don't but it has happend.
Old 02-16-10, 11:03 AM   #14
Bender

Last year I got to know the lake I lived at pretty well and on two occasions took guys out and said "cast at that dock, a 4#er lives there" and BANG, they caught him. There were a few docks and walls on the lake that just held fish. Of course you couldn't do it back to back days or anything, but the fish just lived there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 11:39 AM   #15
BeaverIslander

Some docks always hold some voracious fish the first time you hit them up in the morning. Is catching a very predictable fish that same as calling the shot? If so, then yes I've done it quite a few times.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 04:41 PM   #16
danielbasspro

Holy crap I do this all the time its ridiculous.
Old 02-16-10, 05:01 PM   #17
bassinbob

Never happened to me. But it sort of has happened on the last cast a few times.
Old 02-16-10, 05:18 PM   #18
doc

I do it constantly. So much in fact that my partner says I jinx us. If I see some particulary good looking water, or a place I just know mr bucketmouth should be I'll say it. "man there should be a fish there") more often than not there is nothing there. My partner says If I'd keep my mouth shut they would be there
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 09:27 PM   #19
bamabassman

I did once when my brother and his son were with me 2 yrs ago. We hadn't had much luck all day, and were WAAAAY back in a feeder creek. there was this lone stump sticking up near a shallow sandy beach area. I tied on a worm and my brother joked at me "nw what do you thin you'e gonna do with that worm?". i said "i'mm gonna catch that lone bass right behind that stump." he says "yeah......and i am gonna win the lottery. Ain't no fish up in here man." I make the perfect cast right behind the stump about 4 ft, drag is ever so slowly towards the stump. Just as it gets next to it i stop. wait maybe 20 seconds, twitch it once, then WHAM! Got me one about 3 pounds. My nephew just looked at me with his mouth open. I told my brother we better head to the state line, cuz we is about to get PAID! Hahahahaha.
Old 02-16-10, 09:37 PM   #20
WTL

I've done it a few times before. Its weird how you can tell. Maybe thats why the good fishermen are good, they can tell more often.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 09:42 PM   #21
JB

same here wtl, I 've gone to the pond right before a front and having the wind blowing and select a spinnerbait, and just knew we'd get bit. The big lakes are harder to predict when and where but you know it's going to happen when you see flat bottom puffy clouds before a front and a good wind.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:04 PM   #22
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Last year we had a heavy rain before me and my pops went up to the cottage for a weekend of fishing. The water was really high and the one discharge creek leaving the lake had really muddy water all around it. The water cleared up right in the middle of a fallen tree so i knew if i casted my crank in there i would get one. On the first cast i caught one. Little did i know that i would catch 9 more one 9 straigh casts. I have never caught 10 fish on 10 casts before or since. Great day of fishing.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 01:00 AM   #23
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I do that alot but than again I think I say it before every cast, so when your on a boat with me you get alot of "wow really nothing on that laydown?"
Old 02-18-10, 01:08 AM   #24
WallStreetAmigo

I've done it the odd time, mostly when I'm trying to explain to one of my kids why a certain spot is a good one to cast to and why a certain lure or bait should be the one to use. Having them with me always makes me pay more attention to where, what, and how I cast start to finish though and that probably explains it.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 02:22 AM   #25
islandbass

Cool question, Reb! I've done it a handful of times. The feeling or inkling or sixth sense would be so strong on those "called it" casts, that the fish had no choice but to obey and bite the lure.

It's an awesome feeling for sure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.