Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 05-01-10, 06:17 PM   #1
Jclower2
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Help a GI out WTB: Rod and reels

Im looking for good rods and reels: Prefer combo's but I will buy singles. Prefer Fenwicks, Shimanos, Quantums, St. Croix MOJO! rods in good condition. Reels: Looks for Revos, Curados, Citica's, Pflueger, Quantums, Daiwa twictchin series. Im not looking for a steal just a good deal I recently purchased a boat and e-3 pay is hard to manage when buying rod and reel setups.

Also, I need some help. As it stands I have 3 setups and dont know which I should be using for what. I mean I have an idea and know what I like but input would be appreciate. I have a Revo S on a Shimano Clarus 6'6" MH ExFast 12 fluro. Abu Kalex 50 15lb mono on Shimano Convergence MH Fast 6'10", and a Phlueger Presidential (spinning) on Clarus 12lb fluro MH Fast 6'10"

My question is should i change these around and if not which should i be using for my cranking stick, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged plastics, rip baits, top water, etc. I know this is alot but with such a limited setup I find it hard to say this is what I need to use for that. Thanks for your time

Beale AFB
CL
Jclower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 06:49 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclower2 View Post
Also, I need some help. As it stands I have 3 setups and dont know which I should be using for what. I mean I have an idea and know what I like but input would be appreciate. I have a Revo S on a Shimano Clarus 6'6" MH ExFast 12 fluro. Abu Kalex 50 15lb mono on Shimano Convergence MH Fast 6'10", and a Phlueger Presidential (spinning) on Clarus 12lb fluro MH Fast 6'10"

My question is should i change these around and if not which should i be using for my cranking stick, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged plastics, rip baits, top water, etc. I know this is alot but with such a limited setup I find it hard to say this is what I need to use for that. Thanks for your time

Beale AFB
CL
Quote:
I have a Revo S on a Shimano Clarus 6'6" MH ExFast 12 fluro.
Sounds like a decent worm rod to me! As long as you're not fishing really heavy stuff, your set! A little longer rod would be a bit better, but it'll still work! )

Quote:
Abu Kalex 50 15lb mono on Shimano Convergence MH Fast 6'10",
Sounds like an nice top water/spinnerbait rod!

Quote:
Phlueger Presidential (spinning) on Clarus 12lb fluro MH Fast 6'10"
Sounds like it would make an awesome finesse set up if you use a little lighter line, 8, 10lb maybe? As it is now, a lighter t-rig set up would do it good!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-02-10, 01:57 PM   #3
Jclower2
BassFishin.Com Member

You mention a worm rod vs. a finesse set up? What would the differnce be? also what should I be using as my crankin stick/chatters/and jerk bait (husky jerk's) rods??? And drop shotting and carolina??? I reallly feel like more investment in rods is what needs to happen
Old 05-02-10, 05:41 PM   #4
bamabassman

You can use the same type of rod for different set ups. This can sound complicated i know. But adding a different reel and line makes your set up for a different approach. I don't really go with the "shaky head" rod, "frog rod" thing. I think this is more of a way to "catch" more fishermen to sell rods. Yes i have around 6 baitcasting setups, but each one is for a different and most times 2 or 3 typs of baits. Do a little research on these rods and you will see what i mean. I ain't real good at finding things on the board to show you. But maybe someone here can help you out with that. By the way, NONE of my setups are over $200.00.
Old 05-02-10, 07:51 PM   #5
Jclower2
BassFishin.Com Member

Understandable. So. With that being said does anyone have enough knowledge to know if i should throw the Revo on the 6 10 convergence for a pitching/flipping/crank/heavy cover t rig and the kalex on the calrus 6'6" mh ex fast top water spinner bait/chatterbait then use the pfeuhlger for lighter cover worm t rig set up???
Old 05-02-10, 08:35 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
You mention a worm rod vs. a finesse set up? What would the differnce be? also what should I be using as my crankin stick/chatters/and jerk bait (husky jerk's) rods??? And drop shotting and carolina??? I reallly feel like more investment in rods is what needs to happen
Yup! You'll need more rods if you wanna have a rod per technique!

But I guess the Revo S on a Shimano Clarus 6'6" would be ok for crank, and hard baits. And the Kalex for c-rigs. and Maybe for deep cranks if It's a slow GR (< 6.0:1) That's also probably the best "all around" combo you've got!

And finesse fishing is light line, light baits kinda fishing. Worm fishing (texas rig fishing in general) is heavier line, and bigger weights generally.
Old 05-02-10, 08:37 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Understandable. So. With that being said does anyone have enough knowledge to know if i should throw the Revo on the 6 10 convergence for a pitching/flipping/crank/heavy cover t rig and the kalex on the calrus 6'6" mh ex fast top water spinner bait/chatterbait then use the pfeuhlger for lighter cover worm t rig set up???
Hmm... the calrus is gonna be better for bottom contact baits becuase it's more sensitive.

You can get some good combo's for around 100 bucks if you know where to look, check out Aqua super store. Good discount place for fishing stuff. A good value combo would be an Exceler, and a Vendetta, for 50 bucks a pop. 80 bucks a pop at retail though!
Old 05-02-10, 11:09 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I still have a couple Pflueger baitcasters. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=23222
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 10:15 AM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sent you an email about some reels.
Old 05-03-10, 03:20 PM   #10
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have an abu garcia black max in 6:4:1 paired with a 6'6" M Daiwa Megaforce Rod i would sell for $35 shipped TYD.
Old 05-04-10, 10:11 PM   #11
Jclower2
BassFishin.Com Member

No Thanks cav. Im looking a little higher end. The phfeuglers look good. Im waiting on a shipment I am having gave to me from my uncle and I will update my needs list when that arrives. Thanks for every ones help. Pretty soon I may need a little more direction
Old 05-05-10, 05:29 PM   #12
bamabassman

We will do whatever we can to help you along pal. Just return the favor to another future fisherman ok?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.