Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-11, 06:14 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why Not WaveSpin reels?

Just curious who has seen and/or used these reels? http://www.wavespinreel.com/index.html

Am wondering if they really work, and if they do, why wouldn't you make them your go to spinning reels? Especially with newer lines, including some of the mono's, wind knots/twisting or whatever you want to call it is prettty common-place IME, reagardless of how careful you are when fishing your spinning rigs, I always close the bail manually, really pay attention to the twist of a particular lure set-up, always stress my line to help remove twist, and use line conditioner too....but god forbid the few I have flouro on--anybody who says twist isn't a factor with Flouro is just smoking the crack!

If these things do what they say, it would be worth a new reel or tow to me. If it is as simple as it seems, I wonder what it would take for other mfgs to use the technology, a license fee I suppose....wonder how that would go?
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 06:16 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't used them, so I can't say how well they work, or if they do at all. But I've gone to all braid on my spinning reels to keep from dealing with the problems on mono and FC.

BB
Old 06-06-11, 08:25 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Kinda seems like a solution in search of a problem if you ask me. Like a couple of other gimmicks I won't mention.
Old 06-06-11, 08:43 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well since it won awards in 2000,havnt seen any myself so should tell you something.
Doug has invented more stuff after others invented it prior to shake a stick at.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 09:01 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have talked to a few folks that have them and really like them. I have seen tests that show that they really do work as claimed. Regular spinning reels have a tendency to form a loop when the bail is closed, this can happen even if you close it by hand and then you have to pull the line a bit to get it out before you crank it. The tooth design of the spool on this reel grabs the loop that forms and keeps it from causing a birds nest on the next cast. Now for the question on if it works why don't we hear more about it and why don't we see a lot more folks getting them? My guess is several factors. The first would be resistance to a new design that doesn't look normal. Another would be that it's not from a proven reel company with a reputation that we trust. Another would be status, admit it, we all like to have nice stuff and don't want anyone laughing at our reels are saying we fell for a snake charmer. I know the reel works, but I still won't buy one for myself because i think it looks stupid. I hate the overall looks of it, not just the spool. I hate the handle design and, As long as I'm careful with my reels that i do like, I can keep those loops off my reels. But I don't fault anyone that does get one and i promise I won't laugh. LOL
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 09:38 PM   #6
lilmule

If one wanted a revolutionary design,usa reels just partnered up with bass/aba
and aba has a trial program they will spool one up you try it during the T can hand back after ward or pay for it.
http://www.usreel.com/
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:25 AM   #7
Bender

The people that I know who have the WaveSpins really like them, I'm just not one of them. I've been slowly upgrading spinning reels since I don't use them much down South and just haven't been in the market for one. Maybe I'll try one someday.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:54 AM   #8
Top Tiger

Doug Hannon has forgotten more about bass fishing than most of us will know in a lifetime. If he says it works, then you can pretty much count it. When was the last time you saw a basket on a troll motor prop? Thank the bass professor for the seedless prop. He showed me a guaranteed fish attractor years ago that I still use to this day. Just because something is different doesn't mean that it won't work. If that were the case, ther would be no plastic worms today, we'd all still be trying to figure the best presentation for our "Lucky 13"s and "River Runts"
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:09 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Oh please...stop with the straw man, condescending "afraid of change" stuff.

It has very little to do with why they don't try this reel. Most likely, they don't suffer from the problem this thing is meant to "fix."

Doug Hannon is a very good marketer for sure, and probably a very good fisherman. However, if just 10% of all of his "secrets" were really as good as he would have you believe, he would be a fool not to be whipping KVD's arse every week and making millions.
Old 06-07-11, 10:33 AM   #10
Top Tiger

Doug Hannon doesn't fish tournaments. So, go ahead and keep fishing your cane pole and stay away from anything that you are not personally familiar with.
Old 06-07-11, 10:47 AM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Oh please...stop with the straw man, condescending "afraid of change" stuff.

It has very little to do with why they don't try this reel. Most likely, they don't suffer from the problem this thing is meant to "fix."

Doug Hannon is a very good marketer for sure, and probably a very good fisherman. However, if just 10% of all of his "secrets" were really as good as he would have you believe, he would be a fool not to be whipping KVD's arse every week and making millions.
Bryce, you may be a better fisherman than I am, because I certainly suffer the problem that reel is intended to fix. I can hardly use a spinning reel a day without having a loop turn into a birdsnest so complicated that I have to cut the line.

Whether that thing fixes the problem is another question. And whether Doug Hannon always promotes good gear is a 3rd distinct question. I can't answer either of those two. But I must be clear, this is not a case of a solution in search of a problem. At the very least, all my spinning reels (and I have never shelled out money for a good spinning reel, that might have something to do with my line twist and loop problems) all have had the problem that pro reel described.

Last edited by WTL; 06-07-11 at 10:55 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:47 AM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
Doug Hannon doesn't fish tournaments. So, go ahead and keep fishing your cane pole and stay away from anything that you are not personally familiar with.
Yeah...poor me and my cane poles.
Old 06-07-11, 10:57 AM   #13
Top Tiger

WTL go ahead and give the damn thing a try. What do you have to lose? As for Mr. Cane pole, I would engage him in a battle of wits but I never fight a defenseless man.
Old 06-07-11, 11:00 AM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Bryce, you may be a better fisherman than I am, because I certainly suffer the problem that reel is intended to fix. I can hardly use a spinning reel a day without having a loop turn into a birdsnest so complicated that I have to cut the line.
Surely you jest. I am sure the greatest dropshot fisherman of all time has no trouble with a spinning reel.
Old 06-07-11, 11:04 AM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
But I must be clear, this is not a case of a solution in search of a problem. At the very least, all my spinning reels (and I have never shelled out money for a good spinning reel, that might have something to do with my line twist and loop problems) all have had the problem that pro reel described.
Your problem appears to be line twist. The wavespin doesn't stop line twist. It can't. It merely controls the symptom of line twist, loops. For $2, you can tie on a Sampo swivel (tiny) and cure the disease, and not the symptom.
Old 06-07-11, 11:08 AM   #16
Top Tiger

Good for you but just because you have no problem with your spinning gear does not mean that other folks don't. Because you don't agree with something, that does not have to mean that it's a bad idea. Sorry for the rude remark
but you hit a button there. As the Aussies say "Good on ya, mate"
Old 06-07-11, 11:22 AM   #17
pro reel

Controling symptoms is a good enough solution for me in many cases. A swivel will help with line twist, but it will not stop spinning reel bird nests. Line twist caused from baits spinning is not the main factor in spinning reel bird nest problems, itsimply escalates the problem. The problem is caused by the fact that a spinning reel wraps line onto a spool from the side and casts it out in coils. Those coils will leave a loop if you are not very carefull when you close the bail and start the retreive. If you don't have a problem with this, then good for you, but I must say that it is a problem for many users and the wave spin was a good design to combat that problem. The wave spin holds the section of line that starts those loops that get caught under the wraps. It's those buried loops that cause a bad bird nest on the next cast that pulls the twisted loop off. Another solution that helps is to build spin reels with much larger spools. US reels does this and it works, but again, it may not look like a a normal spin reel and it's not from one of the big 3 or 4 so many will instantly assume that it's inferior. If Doug Hannon would have sold the design patent to one of the big 3 and they used it on a reel that had the overall design that i like on the rest of the reel, I would buy them. I think that if you take the time to watch the videos about the the wavespin and see them in action, you would agree that they do what they claim and that the spool design is a better design. It's the rest of the reels design and features that I don't like. But thats personal preference and has nothing to do with performance or quality..
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 11:29 AM   #18
Top Tiger

Thank you. Well said.
Old 06-07-11, 11:39 AM   #19
WTL

Rather than buy that thing, I am of a mind to take a file to a spare spool on a day where I have the time. Just be sure to smooth the edges.
Old 06-07-11, 11:48 AM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
The problem is caused by the fact that a spinning reel wraps line onto a spool from the side and casts it out in coils.
I agree with most of what you said, Kev...but not the above. Properly set up, a spinning reel takes line back onto the spool exactly as it came off...in coils.

To illustrate my point, here is a picture of an early fixed spool reel (another name for a spinning reel.).

Now I know Pro Reel knows all of this already...I am just reminding.

The spool on this reel would be turned 90 degrees for the cast, so that it was oriented much like today's spinning reels. For the retrieve, it would be turned back in line with the rod, as shown on the picture.

This caused line twist, as the line was coming off the spool in coils, but being put back on straight. This is what you are describing for a modern spinning reel, but they do not work this way. The modern revolving bail arrangement fixes this.

It will work perfectly if the bail roller is well-designed (ball bearings) and maintained (cleaned and lubed often) and the reel is not cranked while the spool is spinning (a fish taking drag). Any further twist imparted to the line during the cast or retrieve by a rolling lure can easily be solved with a high-quality swivel.

And that is why I have the opinion that it is a solution in search of a problem. All of the other fixes are much easier (and less expensive) than buying a nifty new reel that has other problems besides performance.
Old 06-07-11, 11:51 AM   #21
WTL

What we have here is an engineer in search of an argument!
Old 06-07-11, 11:58 AM   #22
nofearengineer

Quote:
What we have here is an engineer in search of an argument!
LOL...not really. I just find it very easy to volunteer my assessment of what is correct. And remember, counselor...it takes two (or ten ) to argue.
Old 06-07-11, 12:10 PM   #23
Top Tiger

The reel that the engineer has pictured is still in use today. I've seen them used for surf fishing. mega long casts. As long as you agree with Mr. Engineer it appears that you get along fine. It's been my experience that people who know everything, seldom do.
Old 06-07-11, 12:26 PM   #24
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Get some nfe
Old 06-07-11, 12:31 PM   #25
MississippiBoy

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.