Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-11, 07:54 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Your opinion on the Alabama rig?

After last week on Guntersville, what do you think of the rig used by the winner and several of the top-place finishers?

I'll start by saying my state (PA) and the adjoining state of MD where I often fish ban the use of such rigs. We are limited to "two hooks" per line - actually that should be stated as two "lures per line", as multiple treble hooked lures are counted as "one hook". We can fish a dropshot with a jig as a weight or the double fluke rig, but we can't fish an umbrella rig or daisy chain of baits.

Do you consider a lure in the style of the Alabama rig, a violation of the "rules of fair chase", practiced by most hunters & fishermen as an ethical manner to persue their intended quarry.

Both the professional tours have banned the use of trolling and live bait in their sanctioned events, whle the walleye tour allows it. Why do the professional bass tours NOT allow it? Would it have to do with "fair chase" or possibly deemed harmfull to the health of bass (in the instance of live bait)?

This type of lure is currently legal in Alabama and probably other states as well, but should it be banned? Should it be banned for professional events only? Do you see using this type harmfull to bass, and bass fishing in the context that catching multiple bass per cast (possibly filling the livewell on the first cast) takes away from the SPORT of fishing?

Professional bass fishing is considered a "sport" as well as a business, but does this type of lure remove the SPORT from those events?

I'm not condoning the lure or condemming it, but it's raised questions in my mind. Many will say if it's legal - use it. But my view leans towards use of this style of lure as unsporting - in a sporting event. If you're out meat fishing to feed your family, maybe a different story. You could use a net or trot line, too.

Just thought this would be an excellent topic to discuss.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-25-11 at 09:55 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:03 AM   #2
Bender

I believe that it is illegal in may states around here as well. I'm a little torn on the subject because when I'm out fishing my goal is to catch fish and I like to use whatever tools are available to do this. At the same time, I don't go out chumming or doing things that are not exactly "sporting". This rig reminds me of the spider rigs the guys use down South for crappies, except they troll those. This is still a casting technique, similar to using a single bait but with increased odds. With that in mind, there is no way that I would pay that much for something that you could make for a fraction of the cost, or possibly make better.

I have often wondered why there is such a negative undertone associated with live bait. Is it because it is less sporting to just let a bait sit there? Is it because lure companies have trained us that it is bad and we should buy 10,000 lures instead? I don't know the history of bass fishing well enough to know when this shift occurred. Can you imagine the FLW sponsored by Walt's Crawlers?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:04 AM   #3
kennethdaysale

I'm afraid I'm out of the loop re: Alabama Rig? Got any pics? In general though, I.ve wondered why they don't allow trolling, heck I don't think its legal in the pros to even throw out a c-rig and let the wind blow you along a flat? I know you're not allowed to fish 2 rods at once?? I regularly throw out a weightless trick and a jig on opposite sides of the boat and alternate between them a few twitches at a time. Why in the name of good sense would that be wrong?
Old 10-25-11, 09:19 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I have often wondered why there is such a negative undertone associated with live bait. Is it because it is less sporting to just let a bait sit there? Is it because lure companies have trained us that it is bad and we should buy 10,000 lures instead? I don't know the history of bass fishing well enough to know when this shift occurred. Can you imagine the FLW sponsored by Walt's Crawlers?
I think it's much like the dry fly "purist" Trout mentality. They know but won't admit that a kid with a $20 Wal-mart combo and a can of Del Monte kernal corn can be as successful and have as much fun as they do with their $1000-$2000+ hand made buggy whips.
Old 10-25-11, 09:30 AM   #5
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i was gonna try to make one this week actually... any ideas yall can come up with?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:50 AM   #6
joedog

http://thealabamarig.com/about.htm

I drop shot using jig as weight with some success. Wi. has 3 line law but don't know about the alabama rigs legality here. If I had to guess, it's probably legal.
As far as tournaments go, should be banned in my opinion. To me it's like using a machine gun or full automatic weapon to goose hunt.
Live bait question-live bait to me (although I don't use it even for panfish) in my my mind it's fine if your going to eat the catch, like hunting. But I do question the ethics of salt licks for deer and barrel baiting for bear also. If your SPORT fishing I feel there are and should be paramiters set, rules! Why the bad rap, when people think "sport" they usually equate it with some form of activity running, jumping, hitting, CASTING ext. Lets face it, there's limited activity involved in live bait fishing.
Dose it remove the "sport" from tournaments? I think some, to what extent, I don't know. But I do know you have a challenge getting me to spend a day watching a bunch people driving around a lake with trolling rigs. Personally I enjoy walleye fishing and have even fished some tournys (grew up on pool 6 of the Mississippi River). But TV coverage of walleye tournies is similar to watching an Ice Fishing show and the following of pro bass fishing farly exceeds the following of the walleye circut, even in Minn.(where they really know thier walleye fishing).

Last edited by joedog; 10-25-11 at 10:38 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:54 AM   #7
3dkicker

I guess if your state allows a double fluke rig or a front runner with a top water bait then why not allow 3 or 4 or 5 baits being run simultaneously? Is it sporting? More baits equals better chance of catching a fish.

Here's a pic.

Old 10-25-11, 10:01 AM   #8
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is due to the image marketing campaign put forth by the fishing industry. They can't really make money off of live bait, since it can't be painted in fisherman-catching colors, doesn't package or ship well, and has no shelf life. Also, short of genetic engineering, there is no "new model for 2012!"

And yes, there is also the elitist snob Thurston Howell mentality that migrated to this country along with the brown trout they transplanted.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10-25-11 at 10:08 AM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 10:12 AM   #9
nofearengineer

In Indiana, we're only allowed two hooks of any kind per line. So 3-treble jerkbaits are illegal here. The Alabama rig would be strictly verboten.
Old 10-25-11, 10:18 AM   #10
TN_Bassin

I don't even want to think of what kind of damage a rig like that could do on KY Lake in the Summer and Fall... IDK if I like that rig for tournaments, seems too easy to me. Although I can see where such a rig would be beneficial. Getting schools "fired up" takes on a whole new meaning when you start representing a school of baitfish by yourself. It's something the fish aren't as used to... seeing multiple baits at the same time. We've trained them to be wary of single baits.

So should it be allowed in larger tournaments? IMO No
Should it be illegal? IMO No
Old 10-25-11, 10:20 AM   #11
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
In Indiana, we're only allowed two hooks of any kind per line. So 3-treble jerkbaits are illegal here. The Alabama rig would be strictly verboten.
What if you were to clip thed hooks on all but 2 of the baits you rig? Then you're legal and still get some of the advantage of a school of baitfish.
Old 10-25-11, 10:46 AM   #12
joedog

Just went to site I listed..... They are 100% out of stock. The miracle of TV!

Last edited by joedog; 10-25-11 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 10:47 AM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You can't drift in tournaments? When it comes to The 'Bama rig, I can't use it(Like BBman said, illegal here), but if it's legal in your state, go for it, not something I would throw. Looks like a salt water rig for trolling.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 10:47 AM   #14
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Just went to site I listed..... They are 100% out of stock. The miricle of TV!
And the miracle of having a pro win an FLW with your lure...
Old 10-25-11, 11:02 AM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
What if you were to clip thed hooks on all but 2 of the baits you rig? Then you're legal and still get some of the advantage of a school of baitfish.
That is perfectly legal. In fact, that is called an "umbrella" rig, a great way to fish for Striped Bass. There are hookless curlytails on spreaders, and a single hooked curly tail in the middle, but hanging a foot or so back.
Old 10-25-11, 11:43 AM   #16
AUFred

Does not look very sporting to me.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 01:40 PM   #17
joedog

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/faq/poles.htm
I guess it wouldn't be legal here.
Ya I could cut a couple of the leads but on a $25 rig designed for multiple baits it seems kind of redundant.

Last edited by joedog; 10-25-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 03:34 PM   #18
AUFred

Reminded me a little of these spinnerbaits.:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 001.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	7297  
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:06 PM   #19
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/faq/poles.htm
I guess it wouldn't be legal here.
Ya I could cut a couple of the leads but on a $25 rig designed for multiple baits it seems kind of redundant.
Lol I didn't say it was a good idea, would get around the 2 hook law.
Old 10-25-11, 09:25 PM   #20
3dkicker

Scale down the umbrella rig and you could run one for bass....except you'd have to cast it instead of trolling it.
On the Chesapeake swim baits are used instead of grubs and the bait in the center with the hook is always bigger (9") than the others (5"). You could use swim baits, flukes, or grubs in the spread.
Old 10-25-11, 10:30 PM   #21
joedog

My biggest question is why? Other than maybe Tourney fishing (and probably then too) if I could catch 3 or more large bass from one area, I would much rather catch them one at a time and enjoy the battle multiple times as opposed to one battle. Just me, I'm fishing for the joy of catching not the joy of decorating my wall.
Old 10-25-11, 10:43 PM   #22
TN_Bassin

I think this rig capitalizes on the active fish in a school... how many time have we caught 2 or 3 fish from fish in the jumps and then they shut down?

Being able to catch 3 in one cast as opposed to 3 in 3 casts just maximizes the opportunity.
Old 10-26-11, 10:16 AM   #23
gonefishin3

you guys think if i JB welded the wires together it would be heavy enough?
Old 10-26-11, 10:17 AM   #24
gonefishin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Reminded me a little of these spinnerbaits.:

where did you get these? they are so pretty and i need a new key chain...
Old 10-26-11, 11:26 AM   #25
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
are you sure? never heard of that, and ill be throwin one if the occasion calls for it regardless...lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.