Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-30-11, 09:25 AM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig Rod

Am wanting to get a better jig rod to use as water cools down. Would like a rod at least 7' or longer to really get as much line movement on the hook set as possible. What rod would everyone recommend for me to purchase. I will be fishing deep, clear TVA lakes and this one has hardly any cover. It has either rocky, gravel, mud bottom or any combination of these. Would consider any rod up to $200.
I have been looking at the BPS Carbon Lite 7'6" H rod or the Crucial Flipping Rod 7'7" MH or the 7"11" H. Fished with a friend's Cumara 7'2" MH for one-half hour or so and it was great but no more than I jig fish I am really hesitant to even buy the Crucials but if you think it would be worth it, will spend the extra money.

Thanks
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 09:58 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What size jigs do you usually fish? A Heavy powered rod should be a good all around jig rod capable of throwing 1/4-1/2oz jigs plus trailers easily.

I've used the older Crucials and they were good rods for the money. The new ones are now built on the same blanks as the Cumara rods. The big different between the rods is the guides. The Cumara has SiC while the Crucial has Alconite. Either should work fine though. Looking at the specs, the 7'2" MH Crucial is rated similar to many H powered rods, so if you mainly use lighter jigs, you may want to go with that one.

You should also check out Powell or Dobyns. Both are great rod manufacturers and both have rods in your price range.

I use a 7'8" H F rod for fishing jigs and love the extra length is gives me, especially when fishing from shore.

BB
Old 10-30-11, 10:01 AM   #3
keithdog

Ok Mike. Myself, I would choose a 7' MH/XF or F rod. I don't see a whole lot of advantage to anything longer if your going to be working in a clear lake without any cover. Flippin rods are meant to be used around cover, and the heavier powers and actions of a flipping rod are meant to get the bass out of that cover in a hurry. Thats not an issue with a lake like your describing. I am going to assume since your not working heavy cover to flip to, your going to be primarily casting in deeper water or pitching around shoreline piers, ect. A true flippin rod won't give you the action you'll be wanting for easy casting. Not that it can't be done. There are just better choices. Myself, I am using a Cabelas XML 7'0" MH/F casting rod. It's light weight, cast well, very sensitive, has good backbone, and didn't break the bank. They run $139.999 but the reason I bought mine was I purchased it on clearance a couple years ago for dirt cheep. Had I been buying at full price I probably would have coughed up another $20.00 and got the Shimano Crucial. I have a Crucial for pitchin into cover and it's an amazing rod. But there are many rods in that price range. You have the St Croix Premier, Garcia Verdict, the Falcon Cara rod at $199.99 which is at the high end of what you want to spend. I have a few BPS rods but have never used the Carbon Lite rod so I can't say much about that one. But they seem like a decent rod as does the Carbon Black.
Old 10-30-11, 10:41 AM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think the guys have given you some great advice on rods, one thing I will add to the conversation is to be sure above all else that the rod is sensitive enough for you to feel the jig on bottom. To me this is one technique where spending more money on a sensitive rod will pay off big. I use a Falcon Cara, to fish my lighter jigs, and a St. Croix Premier for the heavy stuff, the Cara is very good, the Premier works well with the right line and heavier jigs.
Old 10-30-11, 11:27 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ok Mike. Myself, I would choose a 7' MH/XF or F rod. I don't see a whole lot of advantage to anything longer if your going to be working in a clear lake without any cover. Flippin rods are meant to be used around cover, and the heavier powers and actions of a flipping rod are meant to get the bass out of that cover in a hurry.
I guess the OP didn't say how deep the lake was, but longer rods are great when making long casts in deep water, even when there is minimal cover. That's actually what the rod I use for jigs was designed for - fishing 1/2oz football jigs in deep water with minimal to no cover.

BB
Old 10-30-11, 12:03 PM   #6
bassboogieman

If heavy cover isn't an issue, IMO go with a MH/f if you're using jigs up to 1/2 oz. I'm not a fan of the XF actions, true they are a tad more accurate casting vs a fast, but a fast will give you a tad more distance for casting in deep water. I think a longer rod (7'6") would allow you to take up slack slightly quicker than a shorter rod. If you commonly use jigs heavier than 1/2 oz, or a brand that uses an extra heavy (strong) hook, then I'd want a H/f rod - stiffer rod may help get those heavy wire hooks driven home. Power & action will vary slightly between brands, so if you have used something that worked and you liked the feel, use that as a starting point for selection of a new stick. And finally, if using braid - I would generally opt for the heavier stick. Better to handle the shock of a deep hookset, another reason for the fast action preference for me as I think it spreads that shock over more of the rod blank.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 12:46 PM   #7
mike234

Lake is deep. I think average depth at winter pool is 70'(I am really not sure but this is close). It has water fluctuationof 42 feet and is 129 miles long and has 810 miles of shoreline. It is fed by 2 rivers. Norris Lake in E TN. So I guess a H rod would be called for. Usually do not fish heavier than 1/2oz jigs but sometimes a 3/4 oz is needed. Of course will not be fishing 70' deep as you must fish points and the "hollers".
But thanks for all the info, I knew all of you would have good advice.
Old 10-30-11, 06:01 PM   #8
mike234

I thought about what everyone said and went ahead and purchased the Cumara Casting 7'4" H (CUC-74H) from Tackle Warehouse.
Want to thank everyone for the advice. Oh yes will be putting a Curado E 50 Reel that Pro Reel tunned on it with 15# line.
Old 10-30-11, 06:06 PM   #9
Tavery5

Nice rod, should be great. I am curious about your choice of reel on this setup. What made you decide on the 50E?
Old 10-30-11, 06:35 PM   #10
Bassboss

Nothing against the XML, or keith, but that rod's not my favorite for jigs. It's an awesome rod, very sensitve, light and balanced.

It seems a little flimsy to me for bouncing a jig much bigger then 1/4oz, so a H might be better.
Old 10-30-11, 07:49 PM   #11
mike234

Bassboss I think the rod is a heavy by the line weight recommendations and the rating, though I could be wrong. I guess I will call TW early Monday am and ask about the rod before it is shipped to be sure. The order will not be taken from the computer until then.

Tavery 5 I selected the reel because it is so smooth and should cast the jigs up to 1/2 oz like a bullet. I am a little concerned with the line capacity using the 15# line but if not enough capacity I will use the 200E he super tunned. I just like the size and feel of the 50E also I guess I could use the Daiwa Viento he super tunned as it has a twitching bar also but I hope the 50E will work as I love that reel.
Old 10-30-11, 08:01 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Tavery 5 I selected the reel because it is so smooth and should cast the jigs up to 1/2 oz like a bullet. I am a little concerned with the line capacity using the 15# line but if not enough capacity I will use the 200E he super tunned. I just like the size and feel of the 50E also I guess I could use the Daiwa Viento he super tunned as it has a twitching bar also but I hope the 50E will work as I love that reel.

Do you usually fish from the bank or from the shore? I would not try to tell anyone how to use their equipment, but I would think that the Citica may be a little better suited for this technique. I would use the Viento for t-rigged plastics and such, and the 50e for weightless plastics, small shallow cranks and spinnerbaits and any type of small jig. The biggest benefit of the Curado 50e is its ability to cast light baits well. Just my .02
Old 10-30-11, 08:12 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Quote:
I guess I will call TW early Monday am and ask about the rod before it is shipped to be sure.
Save your time & effort on the call, I'm sure the comment by Bassboss was specifically directed to Keith's mention of the Cabela's XML rod, not your selection. The rod you selected (ordered) is an excellent choice.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 09:31 PM   #14
mike234

Tavery 5 how about using a Curado 200E5 or 200E7 as I do not have a Citica. Pro Reel also just did the E5 for me.

Thanks
Old 10-30-11, 09:43 PM   #15
Tavery5

Sorry, don't know why I thought that, I would use the 200E7 on the flippin setup, the E5 makes an excellent crankin reel. The 50E will make you a nice finesse type reel. Sounds like you have some nice equipment. You should ask Bubba_Bruiser his opinion, he is the resident Shimano expert.
Old 10-30-11, 09:57 PM   #16
mike234

I just appreciate your help, as you can tell I do not know much about bass fishing but I guess you could call me a reel junkie and a rod junkie. I just really like the 50E and have a couple of the BPS Lite reels that Pro Reel worked over for the finese fishing. I do a lot and will say stupid things on fishing and like I said I appreciate your help and anytime just call me on my stupidity. I fish from a boat(forgot to answer that).
Now that all of you have me a good jig rig and I am ashamed nearly to ask this, but could you recommend me a good brand of casting jig and football head jig to purchase.

Thanks

Last edited by mike234; 10-30-11 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add last sentence
Old 10-30-11, 10:16 PM   #17
Tavery5

I did not think anything you said even resembled stupid. We all have our own ideas and opinions about what works for us on the water, fishing is great because what works for me, may not for you. I was just interested in what your thoughts were.

I asked about boat or bank because typically with jig fishing you will not need to make very long casts, most of the time you will be pitchin to laydowns, stumps, rocks and other types of cover. The faster E7 will help you get your bait back in the boat quicker and allow you to hit another target quickly.
Anyway, good luck with the new rod.
Old 10-30-11, 10:23 PM   #18
Jrob78

I would recommend Cabin Fever Lures. BigBassin144 from this site makes excellent jigs, both casting and football heads. He uses premium components and has some custom offerings. Check him out. I would provide a link but my router is down so i'm on my phone.
Old 10-31-11, 11:43 AM   #19
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

anything over 7 ft, I would make sure to pay attention to having a good backbone and a tip with a lot of "pop" if your goin to be skipping around/under objects.
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 06:29 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Save your time & effort on the call, I'm sure the comment by Bassboss was specifically directed to Keith's mention of the Cabela's XML rod, not your selection. The rod you selected (ordered) is an excellent choice.
Quote:
I just appreciate your help, as you can tell I do not know much about bass fishing but I guess you could call me a reel junkie and a rod junkie. I just really like the 50E and have a couple of the BPS Lite reels that Pro Reel worked over for the finese fishing. I do a lot and will say stupid things on fishing and like I said I appreciate your help and anytime just call me on my stupidity. I fish from a boat(forgot to answer that).
Now that all of you have me a good jig rig and I am ashamed nearly to ask this, but could you recommend me a good brand of casting jig and football head jig to purchase.

Thanks
What kind of cover will you be using the casting jigs around?

As for football jigs (which I don't use much as I fish mostly weedy lakes), the Bass patrol jigs are really nice, are are very cost effective if yo fish allot of jigs. I can't wait until they make a similarly priced flippin or casting jig!
Old 10-31-11, 06:33 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I would recommend Cabin Fever Lures. BigBassin144 from this site makes excellent jigs, both casting and football heads. He uses premium components and has some custom offerings. Check him out. I would provide a link but my router is down so i'm on my phone.
Thanks for the recommendation, Joe. My jigs can be ordered from www.cabinfeverlures.webs.com.

Obviously, I use my own jigs. I like that I can make then with colors and components (Owner Cutting Point hooks) that I can't get on store bought jigs.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 10-31-11 at 07:21 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 06:36 PM   #22
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, Joe. My jigs can be ordered from www.cabinfeverlures.webs.com.

Obviously, I use my own jigs. I like that I can make then with colors and components (Owner Cutting Point hooks) that I can't get on store bought jigs.

BB

Fixed it for you.
Old 10-31-11, 07:23 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Fixed it for you.
hahaha, thanks!

That's what I get for not proofreading it before posting, lol.

BB
Old 10-31-11, 10:04 PM   #24
mike234

Just checked out your web site and saw the owner hooks. Will order some Wed or Thur went I go off call. What trailers do you recommend to use on your jigs as the water cools and goes into winter.
I really liked the looks of your jigs and think they will catch fish and am eager to try them out. Just hope TW gets me that rod in a timely fashion.
Old 10-31-11, 10:28 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Just checked out your web site and saw the owner hooks. Will order some Wed or Thur went I go off call. What trailers do you recommend to use on your jigs as the water cools and goes into winter.
I really liked the looks of your jigs and think they will catch fish and am eager to try them out. Just hope TW gets me that rod in a timely fashion.
PORK!!!! I'm a huge believer in pork. Perfect action, and buoyancy in cooler water, a nice slow fall as well. Good sent for when they're lookin at your jig for a long time, help seal the deal IMO!

And TW always gets an order in in a timely matter!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.