Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-05, 11:05 AM   #1
basscatcher03
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to basscatcher03
Default jug fishin

i tryed jug fishen yesterday but i couldn't get a land how does it setup and look like i think i set mine up wrong
Old 08-10-05, 12:54 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatcher03
i tryed jug fishen yesterday but i couldn't get a land how does it setup and look like i think i set mine up wrong
Not sure what you just said there? But to jug fish is very simple. Tie a line(usually heavy stuff) to a jug of some sort. Make the length whatever length you want, tie a hook on it, bait it and throw it out. Depending on what you are trying to catch will determine the setup of length, and bait. If you are doing this from shore, you are gonna have a real tough time getting your jugs I also put a little glow stick in the jug to make it easier to find, and see if it's bobbing or not. If you leave it out there overnight, I was told it's a unwritten rule, it's fair game in the morning Zooker may be able to give you a few more tips, he does it some. I rarely do it anymore, but when I do it, I'm going for catfish, so I use a smaller bluegill as bait. I also usaully use about 12"-18" of line from the jug.

Lizards
Old 08-10-05, 04:42 PM   #3
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
If you leave it out there overnight, I was told it's a unwritten rule, it's fair game in the morning
Lizards
I went fishing one time and we noticed there was a jug in the water going to the spot. On the way back to the landing we had noticed that the jug was about 100 yards from where it was before. We floated up to it and I grabed the jug and suddenly it just disapeared underwater. We chased that jug around for an hour cause it kept going underwater and going further down the river. We finally got close enough to grab it and we pulled it up along with a 24 pound channel cat. It made good lunch.................. We usually paint our jugs with some bright orange paint and put a glow stick in it so its visible..........But make sure you tie the string or rope or whatever your using to the top of the bottle........Heres a link to all you need to know about jug fishing........
http://www.jugfishing.net/
They use those white jugs on the site but a regular coke bottle or a half gallon milk jug or something in the same area of size will do just fine.........
Old 08-10-05, 06:35 PM   #4
zooker

i have seen all kinds of jugs every thing from 20oz dew bottles to 5 gallon peanut oil jug to a 18" square hunk of foam. i use the 1 gallon laundry soap container's if i can't get screw on lids for a gallon milk jug. what ever you use has to have a screw on lid. this is more important with big cat fish than bull heads.large cat fish pull the jug down and once it enters 30+ feet from the surface water pressure crushs the jug like a beer can. once the lid is gone water enters the jug and the cat fish will just sit and work the hook out.
my rigs consit of a jug 300 pound test nylon rope -used 80 pound braid once- i tie it what ever way you want -the rope will not tie up with a polymar knot- i personly never use more than 3 feet of line/rope. then a large 8-10/0 circle hook. no weight. depending on the lake i normally like to fish open main lake areas 30-120 feet of water. start on the side the wind is NOT blowing in to and let them go. wind will ease them along. i use either frozen shad or brim/white perch. brim/perch on lakes with a large flat head population oh yeah and they have to be alive.
you can fish on bottom but only small cat fish feed on the bottom at night the big boys head for the surface.

i normally check them ever 2 hours unless it is quite crowded on the water.
the hands down best time to do it is the darkest night of the month -no moon- with slight to no wind.or with a ton of cloud cover the brighter the worst it is for the fishing. when wormy -brother-and i went in may we caught 304 cat fish on 15 jugs. we were sitting on top of the jugs also. in just one night we were fishing a drop off that is a 1/2 mile long it goes from 5 feet to 15 feet. we threw back a mess of little ones but kept the big 30+ pound flat head and released a big 60+ pound blue. weight on him is a guess the 50 pound scale bottomed out.

zooker
Old 08-10-05, 11:07 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

hmmmm, might have to try this with live shiners one night, see how well this could work for bass.
Old 08-10-05, 11:35 PM   #6
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Good idea..........
Old 08-11-05, 08:00 AM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
hmmmm, might have to try this with live shiners one night, see how well this could work for bass.
They will definately work for Bass. the biggest problem is you gotta get to the Bass quickly, because they will get off the hook a lot quicker and easier than the cats will. I would also watch my hand at night where you are LOL. Might wanna rig your jugs with a grabbing hook of some type, and use a pole. I'm guessing a hooked fish at night making a ruckus is gonna draw in those friendly gators

Lizards
Old 08-11-05, 11:34 PM   #8
basscatcher03

i tryed it but i used one but i also tied rope to the top then when i got one pulled the rope in also it attracts the fish to the spt tries just rods pulled 5 in in lik 10 minutes it was fun
Old 08-12-05, 05:25 PM   #9
zooker

i do NOT use a hook of any kind .when you get to the jug the first time grab it in both hands if you have a big fish/gator it will be quickly snatch out between your hands. a 70+ pound blue about snatched my lard butt out of the boat because i forgot to do this. a gator may head inshore when hook-aint hooked up a gator lately-but i know for a fact that all cat fish once hooked will head out to deep water. i would not do this in a lake with tons of surface weeds -lilly's,hydrilla,ect,...- you can tell almost how big the fish is once you start doing it a while the time it takes a big fish to resurface the jug. i have run 5 miles chasing a jug. when the jug resurfaces the second time latch on to the built in handle. and hold the hell on. they aint none to happy and on a short leash..

zooker
Old 08-12-05, 06:36 PM   #10
basscatcher03

i think i'll put a lil hok like thing then get a tie thing let it float then once i get one and it pulls towards me i hook it with those hook things pull it in then see how big it is i think its stupid to just pullin with just the jug i meen its be easier to have it on a rope so they wont keep it out there also i may just keep the rope on then the fish cant take it away and i can just pull it in but i wil try letting it float over night

(did u meen gars or alligators cuz we got niether we just got catfish)
Old 08-13-05, 01:46 AM   #11
southernsnatcher

uuummm ok....
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 11:52 AM   #12
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

you have to have a boat to jug fish. if you tie a rope to the jug and not let it drift thats not really jug fishing. the whole idea is to just let it drift, when you see it start movin more then usual, go after it. i think later this year we might give jug fishin a try.
Old 08-13-05, 09:38 PM   #13
zooker

i like to stand my jugs up -milk jugs any way-that way there is some amount of noise when they grab it. oh yeah i had a 30 pound blue grab a jug 15 feet from my boat they aint shy when it comes to hitting a bait.i average lossing about 4 jugs a night .. so if it goes bye bye don't worry about it. this is normal.

03 alligators-never caught a gar on a jug.

zooker
Old 08-16-05, 07:57 AM   #14
basscatcher03

ok i cant i have no boat but i may ry it like that i catch good 5 lbers just tieing it to a rellly long string qand let it drift off in

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.