Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-05, 09:37 PM   #1
seaphantom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom
Cool no big fish on senkos

I've been 5" senko fishing this lake for about 2 months and have not caught a fish of 3 lbs or larger.

Is this normal? Does this mean there are not many trophies in the lake? I've seen some large fish on my fish finder... Do the bigger bass need something special... like smaller hook/diff. color/larger senko/scent/etc.?

I've seen a pic. of a 15lb bass, caught on a senko...

anyone got any tips for hooking big fish on senkos?

seaphantom
Old 11-27-05, 09:40 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i think that you should have tried a variety of lures instead of just senkos. Did you t or c rig them? Also, if this lake supposedly has big trophies, you might want to try a pig n jig. You have to figure out day by day what the bass want. Was those bass shallow or deep?
Old 11-27-05, 09:49 PM   #3
seaphantom

I wacky rig. Shallow water.

I heard from the lake manager that 5-8 lb bass are certain to be there.

I've never really had much luck on a pig and jig... I tried it a couple of times, thought I had some bites, but... everything resulted in no hookups..

seaphantom
Old 11-27-05, 09:52 PM   #4
seaphantom

The senkos produce a very large amount of fish, which is why I've stuck with them for a while.

seaphantom
Old 11-27-05, 10:01 PM   #5
rrw4258

This time of year, you are better off to use a heavier lure towards the bottom, so i would texas rig with a 3/8 oz. bullet weight with a senko or tiki, or you might want to try a Berkly Power Worm, they are working for me right now. Good luck and just rember if ya get skunked one time theyll be bigger the next time...

Ryan
Old 11-27-05, 10:06 PM   #6
Joe_S.

I've fished senkos for a few years and caught a lot of fish, I don't really throw them any more, I never caught a really big fish on one either, caught a lot but none of them were over 3 lbs, after that switched to the jig and never looked back, I will occasionaly throw one of my own but rarely.
Old 11-27-05, 10:27 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the default setting built in to your depthfinder they all do it. the mark 2 small fish as one big fish or a school of bait as a couple big fish..the big fish you can be marking may be cat fish..

zooker
Old 11-28-05, 06:40 PM   #8
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you like senkos you should also try Tiki sticks in a red/black color....or watermelon...But right now i do believe they will be hitting other baits but im not sure because i have not been able to hit the water.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 06:59 PM   #9
pig n jig

Yamamoto senko's work extremely well. I like the Bamboo sticks, but getting back to the question. did you try a slower more natural looking presentation ?I have caught my bigger fish fishing it on slack line.I use a stitching technique to move the bait using the line, not the rod, much like fly fishing without using flyrod gear. It allows a more natural movement than when you use the rod to work the bait. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 07:14 PM   #10
KH.

well, thats not so. i have been using tiki sticks since this september and they catch fish no questions ask. i use a texposed style rigging which allows little wheight.which causes slower fall which will allow more time for the fish to strike,and a more lifelike appearence.to you me,this bait looks like worm right????but to the fish(if using the right presentation)looks like a shad chasing food.thats why i use it wheighless,i let it sink a foot or two,and then jerk it a few times.why tiki sticks instead of senkos???they have a scent that never does away,cheaper and more durable.lets say senkos will catch a fish or two,then rips,the tiki will last twice as long.i have caught 3 fish over 4 pounds on them,including a five pounder,but most fish i catch are between
10 and 14 inches,alot smaller than that two,fish almost smaller than the bait itself.

http://wavefishing.com/Tiki%20Sticks%205%20Inch.html

you can find them at walmart a 50 cents cheaper,i suggest ordering some now!!
Old 11-28-05, 10:49 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

I'll second the tiki's. I just can't justify paying 6 bucks for a back of "real" senkos when I can get knock offs for less than a dollar and catches me fish and I'm having fun enjoying myself.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 11:40 PM   #12
seaphantom

I use a fall, twitch, deadstick presentation (wacky rigged).

I use these (Edge Senkos), and they seem to last much longer than the Tikis did for me.

seaphantom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YA5SLT-LN.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	55  
Old 11-28-05, 11:54 PM   #13
seaphantom

Arrow

This is what I have and would like to use... successfully....

Tried this in blue and black w/ a white double tailed-grub, but did not recieve any response....

There is not much cover on this lake near shore in water of 4-8 feet...

Some fallen tree limbs/logs are in water of around 1-3ft.

I've tried this jig at the dam, where water is relatively deep, 15-29 ft with no success, but maybe I just need to be more stubborn?

There is some old rip-rap at the dam, covered with leaves and "muck", but I think that because the water depth quickly slips from 2ft to 15ft there, there's quite a chance of nice fish hanging round the slope in the evening time.

seaphantom
Attached Images

Old 11-29-05, 06:58 PM   #14
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
I'll second the tiki's. I just can't justify paying 6 bucks for a back of "real" senkos when I can get knock offs for less than a dollar and catches me fish and I'm having fun enjoying myself.

Chris
less than a dollar!!!!!! no way,show me,
Old 11-29-05, 07:05 PM   #15
Christopherkeene9

sorry man about the typo I mean less than three dollars sometimes a bit more.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 09:26 PM   #16
Unregistered

I caught me a fish on a senko that was repaired with bubblegum & barbwire. strawberry flavored bubbagum to be exact anyhow it weighed in at .22 lbs. Sun, tell me that anit a big'un ?Did,t use no glue either just pure straight bubbagum an bobwire fencing. I said get th' net .It seemed like eternity went by as I was battling the bass and no dang net yet.I hollerd again sun git th' net and then I relized I was fishin 'lone so I swung the .22 lb bass aboard usin my trusty lunker stick, swear thats wut happen.
Old 11-29-05, 09:36 PM   #17
Billy Bob jr

I wus on th' shore lines yellin paw I anit in th' bote wit ya I canit git tha net fer ya, yo on yo own paw paw.an I saw him bote tha lunker bass n dat wus th trufe.
Old 11-29-05, 10:09 PM   #18
texasnitro

senkos are a good bait. iv tried yum dingers, tikis, and some other mimic senoks. i have to say the senkos produce more bass for me. just the other day i was fishing in the bayou behind my house and i was reeling the senko kinda fast and keeping it on top. i caught 4 fish all were like 2-3lbs each. some of the biggest bass i have caught in the bayou
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-05, 10:31 PM   #19
larry largemouth

Default it could be something else

first off when people catch those big bass on senkos they rig them texas style with no weight and you should try diffrent colors or styles.you should also try a trick worm or houdini worm rigged texas style.deadsticked.this is where you let it lay on the bottom for 1-2 minutes twitching it after the pause and repeat,if no bite cast out and repeat process i caught a 7 and a half pound bass doing this.

Last edited by Unregistered; 12-01-05 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 10:56 PM   #20
dodgeguy

These ar what senkos catch!!!

Old 12-01-05, 02:43 AM   #21
islandbass

Don't feel too bad. The first bass I ever caught on a senko (5") was just a hair bigger than the senko itself!
Old 12-01-05, 10:34 AM   #22
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

I throw a lot of "senko" type baits. I switched about a year ago from being a staunch Yamamoto loyalist to a small company called Sqworm Tackle. I like a couple things better about the Sqworm Stix. 1.) I like the fall rate... it's slower than a Senko. I can make a stick fall quicker if I want, but I can't slow it down very easily. 2.) They are more durable. No question. 3.) They are less expensive.

I have caught both numbers and large fish on these baits. And I stand by them completely. However, I catch a lot of fish and big fish on all kinds of lures. To put it in baseball terms, I have a quick hook. I will switch to different lures in a heartbeat if they are hitting what I have on at the moment.

Just my $.02

WAR

Sqworm Stix Largemouth May 05.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-05, 11:46 AM   #23
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up Makes Sense

Dodgeguy
Its nice to see a angler with a life jacket on, smart thinking.
I know they are uncomfortable, but comes in handy when that unexpected fall into the drink, esp. if something horrible would occur like hitting your head on the fall and then going into the water.
In most bass tournaments the standard procedure is to have it on you while you run, then once you get into trolling motor mode take it off if desired.
WTG dodgeguy!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 07:28 PM   #24
mattbassmaster

Default what does that have to do with anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Dodgeguy
Its nice to see a angler with a life jacket on, smart thinking.
I know they are uncomfortable, but comes in handy when that unexpected fall into the drink, esp. if something horrible would occur like hitting your head on the fall and then going into the water.
In most bass tournaments the standard procedure is to have it on you while you run, then once you get into trolling motor mode take it off if desired.
WTG dodgeguy!
what does that have to do with anything....
Old 12-01-05, 07:55 PM   #25
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

well, would you like to fall in the water and hit your head on the way in and not be able to swim so you drown. NO!!! you wouldnt. That's why its important. JB was just saying it was nice to see someone who's smart enough to wear a life vest while they're fishing!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.